'SMC' to 'HD' potential marketing disaster?
Posted 12/09/2012 - 23:26
Link
Hadn't thought about it... But guess I have to agree with you...
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Posted 12/09/2012 - 23:34
Link
I think it is trying to appeal to the uninformed masses - HD is more widely understood than SMC. It's only us anoraks that 'get' SMC.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Posted 12/09/2012 - 23:46
Link
Super Multi Coating made sense back in the day. High Definition abbreviated to HD mostly means current TV resolution (much lower than our cameras can achieve for stills) so not sure what the idea is here. Personally if it works better than before I'm not too bothered.
Posted 12/09/2012 - 23:47
Link
I doubt that this will make a scrap of difference. In any event, many lenses will continue to be SMC. HD should appeal to those who understand what it means and probably everyone else won't really notice.
Best regards, John
Posted 13/09/2012 - 08:49
Link
SMC was only significant when Pentax developed ground breaking Super Multi Coating. I can't imagine any manufacturer producing lenses without something very similar.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 13/09/2012 - 08:57
Link
Samsung have FULL HD on their cameras
I would expect a legal challenge HD is probably a trademark :
Why not call them iPod coated or just Digital
I would expect a legal challenge HD is probably a trademark :
Why not call them iPod coated or just Digital
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 13/09/2012 - 15:31
Link
Thanks for your comments chaps. Wasn't expecting any replies so soon after I posted it but four insomniacs proved me wrong!
Time will tell whether or not it was a smart move. I still have my doubts though. In all likelihood the last surviving 'smc' lenses may well outlast their owners.
Time will tell whether or not it was a smart move. I still have my doubts though. In all likelihood the last surviving 'smc' lenses may well outlast their owners.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1542 posts
15 years
Northwich,
Cheshire
Even before I bought my first Pentax product (a Kx nearly 2 years ago), I was aware of the 'SMC' trade mark on their optical products. This has come to be internationally recognised as a synonym for top quality optical performance. It brings a certain cachet to any product bearing it and in my opinion has helped the brand Pentax position itself as an 'affordable luxury' brand, classy and well designed, old fashioned quality married to high tech and all at a price that made it
seem to be 'almost too good to be true'.
Unless there is a legal angle to this that means it is impossible for 'SMC' to be retained, I can't for the life of me understand the rationale behind this marketing decision. The 'nano coating' thing all sounds very impressive but other people are doing this too...they could have kept SMC and merely enhanced it in an understated kind of way by adding a '+' or 'super' or an asterix as in 'DA*'.
Anyway, rant over...what does anyone else think?