VividArt

Joined: 13th February 2013

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

VividArt
Hello folks. I have a couple of questions for the experts.
I have the k5IIs, I love the camera. I have had the K10d, the K20d, the K7, the first k5 and I tried the K3.
The question is this. Would the K5IIs be a better candidate for IR conversion? I am close to 60,000 clicks on this body, was thinking of getting another one and converting the somewhat tired one to IR. Is the lack of low pass filter any benefit to IR photography? Or is this camera going to work well with just an R72, for example.
Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.


Regards everyone,


JMD

Comment by VividArt posted on Pentax K5IIs - Infrared at 02/02/2015 - 21:23

VividArt
Yes considering the safety of others is most important. It's like owning a gun. Or driving a car.
We have been charged with this responsibility. A camera is a bit different.
I do consider my own safety, but during acquisition of a shot, my ego may have me think I am impervious to danger or that danger doesn't really exist, there have been times when the thrill of the hunt has dulled my senses to my environment. I am curious about the creative force in people. How far will we go....and will we find ourselves inadvertently possibly putting others in danger.
Is there a point when clear cognitive rationalism diminishes and the thrill of the process takes over...
If so, I would love to hear some examples and possibly some descriptions of the mental processing during and especially after the shot. Is there a force that takes over that can circumvent rationalism.
I only ask, because when I took the shot I am referring to, I was very aware of the danger I was in, but the shot was so breathtaking that the beauty overtook me and I really didn't care about the danger anymore. I had to take the shot.


Regards,


JMD

Comment by VividArt posted on Is there a photograph worth dying for? at 21/01/2015 - 21:43

VividArt
Hello,

I was thinking about how we may not consider danger whilst in a creative moment. Daredevil for bragging rights isn't what I was referring to. Not into that myself.
I have found myself in situations where the creative brain has somehow de-tuned the possible dangers about me. I have stood at police scenes where stuff is still happening. If I see creeps near my shop I will often photograph them, some see me do it as I have let myself be seen and other more dangerous ones I have remained concealed, all the while knowing that if caught I might be in danger. But I keep doing this as I know that I may one day have to prove something, that the photo may bring justice.
The most interesting part for me is how caught up I can get when taking photos, I do take chances and that's part of it, mostly it's about not missing the shot of a lifetime. I would love to hear how far past reasoning and rational thought the creative process has brought people. Only to later think 'man that was stupid'.

Going to Mars, now that's commitment.
Regards,

JMD

Comment by VividArt posted on Is there a photograph worth dying for? at 21/01/2015 - 21:16

VividArt
This is a topic that has come up recently in regards to one photograph I shot. I thought it would make an interesting topic for discussion. Just looking for opinions, not trying to create a heated debate.
I want to hear how far people have gone and are willing to go. Of course we all want to stay alive, but we do take chances.
Just curious. Please add opinion if you feel like you have one

Comment by VividArt posted on Is there a photograph worth dying for? at 21/01/2015 - 20:32

VividArt
Another excellent study.


Regards,


JMD

Comment by VividArt posted on Brean Down Fort II (In Technicolor) at 18/05/2013 - 17:47

VividArt
Nice series!


Regards,


JMD

Comment by VividArt posted on Kingdom of Rust at 18/05/2013 - 17:43

VividArt
Personally haven't tried the Q, but I do own the K-01 and think after it's first firmware was released it became a super camera. I can use any lens and it DOES take great snaps. Personally I like the way it looks and feels, but hey I like different...
Great camera with it's 40mm xs 2.8 lens combo.
For me the focus peaking and lens compatibility make it a great addition to a DSLR setup. And discontinued means cheap. I can buy one here for $300.
I have also put it through some tough use and it holds up really well.
I think when this camera came out, the reviewers were so offended by the way it looks, that the actual performance of the camera was not looked at seriously, I think it's was hampered because of the clouded aesthetic reception it got. It may not appeal to every one in the looks department, but is is without a doubt a great camera.

Regards,

JMD

Comment by VividArt posted on K01 Or Q? at 23/03/2013 - 19:10

VividArt
Good Thread!

I can certainly relate to being from the distant plant PENTAX! It's quite incredible actually. In my town (Vancouver) there is a camera store that is the only one in the city where they actually have Pentax advertising stuff like signs, stands and the word Pentax splattered throughout the store. All staff actually wear Pentax shirts each with their name embossed on them and even in that store they give you that look when you ask about Pentax. Nikon this and Canon that. Oh and Sony...
For me being a Pentax fan meant doing internet research when I first made the switch, expecting to get good info from uninterested staff is impossible here.
I end up being the guy educating them! Of the people that did listen, they did appear to be genuinely surprised about the features of the camera that's being sitting under their noses the whole time.
I have converted a few friends and they're happy, they each spread the word..
I don't know what it's going to take other than a competitive full frame for people to take this brand seriously. Only then will they notice that the APS-C was where Pentax really was king. Pentax has had a few forces working against their gaining serious ground against the big two. Bad management... Hopefully the new owners will let Pentax spread it's wings again

Comment by VividArt posted on Have You Converted Anyone? at 27/02/2013 - 20:55

VividArt
Stunning. Just great

Comment by VividArt posted on ISO 8,000 at 24/02/2013 - 18:52

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo