Shaky

Joined: 6th July 2008

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Shaky
Haworth wrote:
One can only ponder at the reasons for pulling those images.
In fairness one should probably differentiate between PR shots that publications would use in product announcements and write-ups, and the images ultimately used in advertising campaigns.

Even so getting rid of the beach shots entirely is utterly bizarre; maybe it a cultural thing, a Japanese appeal to photography under extreme Endurance gameshow style hardships

Anyway, to finish off my pro bono marketing advice here’s what I would do; get some creative types to think about how to structure a campaign highlighting the excellent Pentax colour.

Comment by Shaky posted on Pentax Ricoh future at 24/05/2012 - 11:59

Shaky
Haworth wrote:
Pictures of young people and familiy on beach with K-30


Plenty of fun, sand and smiles there!
All now gone!

On a whim I went back to have another look, but now the "fun, sand and smiles" has now been completely scrapped in favour of more drizzle. Check it out yourself.

You can't make this stuff up -- LMAO.

Comment by Shaky posted on Pentax Ricoh future at 24/05/2012 - 07:40

Shaky
Haworth wrote:
Shaky wrote:


The volume segment of the market would undoubtedly prefer to buy a camera associated with sun, sea and sand, or say family and children, or cuddly pets.

Needless to say mud and the pouring rain are complete turn offs.

If you check out the link below and scroll down to the bottom of the page, the publicity pics are obviously aiming at something different to mud and rain.
Well that's mildly interesting, but the key word is bottom. I think the only thing that can be said with certainty is that having those images buried at the bottom shows the advertising agency gets it.

On the the other hand the main image seen at the top prominently is of the K30 seemingly covered in water droplets; the obvious inference is that it is raining.

I'm open to the possibility that Pentax's dismal marketing track record can be turned around. But I see only the most tenuous evidence of that at this time.

Comment by Shaky posted on Pentax Ricoh future at 24/05/2012 - 07:06

Shaky
JohnX wrote:
Shaky wrote:
Does anybody know whether this thing has video mode autofocus?
Yep!
Interesting. In that case the effect of this announcement on me is likely to be inertia!

Comment by Shaky posted on Pentax K 30 at 22/05/2012 - 17:26

Shaky
johnriley wrote:
Weather Resistance is a major plus for us.
I’m not saying get rid of weathersealing. Just don’t spend the very limited advertising budget featuring it prominently.

People who actually require weathersealing more than likely have the wherewithal to independently identify cameras that meet their needs.

Comment by Shaky posted on Pentax Ricoh future at 22/05/2012 - 17:25

Shaky
Pentaxophile wrote:
The low price and weathersealing are major plus points.
I couldn’t disagree more on the second bit, and groaned inwardly when I saw the official K30 ‘splash’.

Sure weathersealing appeals to a segment of the total market, but it is undoubtedly a tiny, tiny proportion.

On the other hand what Pentax needs to ensure their long term survival is volume. The volume segment of the market would undoubtedly prefer to buy a camera associated with sun, sea and sand, or say family and children, or cuddly pets.

Needless to say mud and the pouring rain are complete turn offs.

Use your collective loaves, Pentax marketing; this stuff really ain't that had.

Comment by Shaky posted on Pentax Ricoh future at 22/05/2012 - 16:44

Shaky
Does anybody know whether this thing has video mode autofocus?

Comment by Shaky posted on Pentax K 30 at 22/05/2012 - 16:33

Shaky
foneypony wrote:
when he sells a DSLR, in most cases the business makes 5% or less. More than this in considered very good....5%!!!!
Here's the thing foney, margins can be very highly misleading depending on whether you make things or are merely selling on.

That's why a much better measure or profitability is something known as Return on Capital Employed or ROCE, where CE is the invested capital required to support the business.

If you friend has got the camera in stock on a sale or return basis his capital employed i 0 making his ROCE at a 5% sales margin infinite. Pretty good I'd say.
Quote:
These companies are having a hard time, the global giant Sony, $5 Billion losses
. . .from TVs mainly and nothing to do with cameras. Well documented.

But you're right. Those poor global companies. They need our help. Must save and plunge every penny into Pentax kit to keep them afloat.

Comment by Shaky posted on Pentax/Ricoh putting prices up at 17/04/2012 - 11:53

Shaky
cabstar wrote:
As a side note I always see adverts for Pentax SLR in the broadsheets on a daily basis, exactly the place where you say they should run a competition...
Interesting Cabstar. I very rarely buy a newspaper these days, so it is certainly not surprising that I have not come across any of these.

Any idea where I might find a sample, preferably online?

Comment by Shaky posted on Jessops fall out with pentax at 16/04/2012 - 09:51

Shaky
gartmore wrote:
It is to be welcomed that Pentax have shown an interest here and I, for one, would hope that a this informal relationship will prove to be a fruitful one.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Ken? Coasters, mugs, novelty pens, maybe even a - gasp - penknife?

I say this: Welcome Nicola--Let it henceforth be a testament to Pentax-Ricoh-Imaging-Company's commitment to marketing excellence, that such baubles and trinkets shall be dispensed freely to us, the faithful.

Comment by Shaky posted on Jessops fall out with pentax at 15/04/2012 - 10:05

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo