RobL

Joined: 16th September 2014

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

RobL
I have resolved my problem with the vulnerability of the open camera body when fitted with the digiscope adaptor, by I modestly claim, a stroke of genius! The K-mount/T2 adaptor which you need to fix the digiscope adaptor onto the camera body can be dismantled into two parts, so into this I dropped a 49mm UV filter glass which is a perfect fit. Reassembled it is now like a thick filter which I can leave on the camera body ready for the digiscope adaptor. The trickiest part was getting the glass out of the filter frame without scratching it - it was held in with a sprung ring so some judicious work on the frame with a tinsnip was needed to remove it.

And here's a special thanks to the guy at London Camera Exchange in Leamington Spa to whom I explained what I was after. He rummaged around and gave me the filter from his 'spares' box at no charge to experiment with.

Comment by RobL posted on Digiscoping at 23/09/2015 - 18:28

RobL
McGregNi wrote:
Have you got the designation right in the title here? DAL implies the budget series with plastic mount .... But the 16-85 is a high quality new lens with HD coatings, I thought .... Is it not the DA HD 16-85 you mean? .... Apologies if there are two versions I'm not aware of.
sorry, you are right. it is 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 HD ED DC WR DA.

Comment by RobL posted on DAL 16-85 WR at 22/09/2015 - 22:14

RobL
This lens is priced at £499.00 but is bundled with the K3-II at £999.00, i.e. £250.00 plus body which sounds a real bargain. This compared to the 18-135 WR priced £379.00 but bundled with the K3-II for £1049.00. The latter is a smaller more versatile every-day lens but does anyone have any experience to compare?

Comment by RobL posted on DAL 16-85 WR at 22/09/2015 - 19:03

RobL
The Hawke adaptor has finally arrived (no instructions), comprising two parts which fit together, one on the scope eyepiece and the other on the camera. The eyepiece needs to be unscrewed to fit the scope part but could be left on and still used conventionally. With the T2/K mount adaptor the other part fits on the camera body and presses it against the rubber eyepiece. This of course risks exposing the camera to dust which is why I tried it with a 50mm f1.8 len attached but the results weren't promising. The other thing I tried was a 2x teleconverter on the K-mount to protect the camera but the loss of light meant high noise; the best results were from the direct mount. One concern is that the T2/K-mount adaptor has printed lettering on the T2 face which is coming off in tiny particles when screwed into place so I have been rigorously cleaning that to avoid it contaminating the camera, hopefully by leaving it permanently attached to the digiscope adaptor this won't become an issue.

I had hoped for a system whereby I could use the scope conventionally and then quickly snap the camera into place and in truth it's not much more involved than changing a lens. Two issues however; the scope needs refocusing with the camera on, and the weight of the camera unbalances the scope mount so a sliding tripod mount will be needed (more cost, more weight). The scope has an 18-48x zoom but the loss of light at the high end becomes much more apparent with the camera attached. Also without a lens the anti-shake is off.

I am looking forward to trying it out properly.

Comment by RobL posted on Digiscoping at 21/09/2015 - 16:15

RobL
Here's a link: http://thenewcamera.com/category/pentax-rumors/
According to this latest rumour it will cost around 2000 euro, which is about £1460. Sounds about right, around the same as the top Sony.

Comment by RobL posted on Full Frame teaser - Spring 2016! at 19/09/2015 - 10:17

RobL
stu62 wrote:
well there is one thing for certain if pentax bring out a ff camera wit less than 36 megapixels they may as well just pack up shop as the opposition is 36+ which means they are well of the mark of being 3rd in the sales table
There is a rumour somewhere it will have the Sony 42 megapixel sensor. A Nikon rep at Birdfair told me that anything above 24 mp gives problems with buffering and gobbles up memory. The 50 mp Canon only achieves its stated frame-per-second rate with reduced size files, so it's not all about 'mine's bigger than yours' if there isn't the stamina to cope!

Comment by RobL posted on Full Frame teaser - Spring 2016! at 18/09/2015 - 21:27

RobL
I am a bit disappointed, I thought it was due out next month. Do I want to wait another six months or maybe get the K-3II? Dunno.

Comment by RobL posted on Full Frame teaser - Spring 2016! at 18/09/2015 - 19:55

RobL
Thanks all, I have decided to to buy a Pentax sensor cleaning kit for future use together with one of those puffer things. I also wonder whether I inadvertently caused the problem when I noticed dust specks on the mirror which I flicked off with a soft brush.

Comment by RobL posted on Dust on sensor at 16/09/2015 - 21:02

RobL
I agree, and would also add that the Pentax 50mm f1.8 which I bought new for £89 is also of great quality -see my latest offerings in the Gallery https://www.pentaxuser.com/photo/rust-88057, https://www.pentaxuser.com/photo/rust-88057, https://www.pentaxuser.com/photo/abandoned-workshop-88059. Admittedly there is an overlap of focal length but with the extra couple of stops you can use available light more, get a shallow depth of field, close focusing and nice bokeh.

Comment by RobL posted on The merits of the kit lens. at 16/09/2015 - 20:51

RobL
ilovesaabs wrote:
Today I opted to take my Nikons out to the Battle of Britain display at Goodwood.....

D7100 - click, click, click, click, click, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, click, PAUSE, click, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE
D3 - click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE,click, click, click, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE, PAUSE.

Sunday watching the spitfires and hurricanes

K-3 - click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, PAUSE, PAUSE, click, click, click, click, click, PAUSE, click, click, click, click, click,
You really counted those?!

Comment by RobL posted on Pentax vs nikon at 15/09/2015 - 20:44

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo