RobL

Joined: 16th September 2014

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

RobL
Following on from my comments about the WR flash unit, I received a prompt reply from SRS which I am sure they won't mind me sharing, as follows:

"Apologies for the apparent confusion with this. We have contacted Pentax for some clarification, and they have informed us that the disclaimer on the first page of the manual has to be put their as the product contains an electrical circuit. However the specification for the product remains the same:

With 28 seals applied to crucial parts of the unit body including the hotshoe, these flash units feature highly dependable weather-resistant construction. By coupling one of them with a camera body and a lens that feature the same weather-resistant construction, the user can create a highly reliable weather-resistant digital imaging system that assures solid performance even in harsh outdoor conditions, such as in the rain or at locations subject to splashes and dust."

Comment by RobL posted on Ever had the chance to test out just how good the WR is ? at 26/01/2016 - 11:31

RobL
The worst that can happen with a WR camera/lens is if it lets in water or dust. I just don't fancy getting an electric shock if the WR flash doesn't do what it says on the box! I think I'll seek clarity.

Comment by RobL posted on Ever had the chance to test out just how good the WR is ? at 23/01/2016 - 18:28

RobL
That's not really the point is it? Either the flash is WR or not.

Comment by RobL posted on Ever had the chance to test out just how good the WR is ? at 23/01/2016 - 07:56

RobL
The Pentax AF 360 FGZ II is advertized by SRS as a weather-resistant auto flash unit (even in harsh outdoor conditions, such as in the rain or at locations subject to splashes and dust.) so I bought one a while ago in one of their discount weekends. DP Review at the time of this version's launch included the following quote: "Ricoh Imaging continues to refine our capabilities when it comes to producing products that enhance the photographic experience for our customers," said Jim Malcolm, Executive Vice President, Ricoh Imaging. "The introduction of the AF540FGZ II and AF360FGZ gives consumers access to a complete weather-sealed system which will enable them to approach photography with one less limitation in mind, thereby defining a new behaviors while reducing the boundaries for photographers."

However the operating manual says: "Do not expose the flash unit to water or moisture as there is the danger of electric shock". So, which is it? Either the manual is incorrect or the advertizing is deliberately misleading. And in case someone says that "complete weather-sealed" doesn't include rain take a look at the promo video for the K50 in the Ricoh website with the camera receiving a dousing from hose.

Comment by RobL posted on Ever had the chance to test out just how good the WR is ? at 22/01/2016 - 21:53

RobL
b****r!

Comment by RobL posted on Pentax DA 10-17mm at 20/01/2016 - 12:15

RobL
Last night I added a comment on this other site, basically saying that brand bashing is a bit silly as the more choice the better, and we all want the best kit we can afford for our needs. I gave my reason for picking a K50 over a basic Nikon but said I was open to other brands when it came to an upgrade, so nothing controversial, but today it is no longer there. Perhaps the conspiracy theorists are right after all!

Comment by RobL posted on Camera of the year! at 19/01/2016 - 17:00

RobL
Has a rather nasty looking beak. And big eyes. And claws. Glad it's not in my garden! Great detailed photo.

Comment by RobL posted on New weevil at 17/01/2016 - 14:04

RobL
JAK wrote:
RobL wrote:
On another thread I posted a comment which is probably more relevant here, regarding a 2012 survey http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/07/04/pentax-dslrs-top-global-consumer-sa... which rated user satisfaction of manufacturers out of a possible score of 1000 thus: Pentax 899; Nikon 891; Canon 888. Compare this with a 2007 survey by the same analysts: Nikon D series 820; Sony Alpha 793; Canon EOS 788; Pentax K 787; Olympus 783.
It might be worth posting that in Photographyblog's comment section.
Good idea, just done it!

Comment by RobL posted on Camera of the year! at 16/01/2016 - 20:27

RobL
I am a bit bemused by hysterical and vulgarly expressed comments on some websites, many of them from the US, and so far have resisted the temptation to respond. In this case I am guessing the author(s) are that breed of dedicated Canon/Nikon nuts who relate to their chosen brand like football fans and their chosen team; we have all met them, victims of their brand's hype. Pentax has had its issues, but so has every other brand.

I have been frustrated by a magazine review of the K-3II (forget which one) which said the differences between it and the K-3 were minor and failed to mention any of the real differences other than the GPS, and I guess this indifference is down to the lack of advertising paid for by Ricoh. A new model by one of the favoured brands get far more coverage and Ricoh's publicity agents need to get more savvy.

On another thread I posted a comment which is probably more relevant here, regarding a 2012 survey http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/07/04/pentax-dslrs-top-global-consumer-sa... which rated user satisfaction of manufacturers out of a possible score of 1000 thus: Pentax 899; Nikon 891; Canon 888. Compare this with a 2007 survey by the same analysts: Nikon D series 820; Sony Alpha 793; Canon EOS 788; Pentax K 787; Olympus 783.

Says it all doesn't it.

Comment by RobL posted on Camera of the year! at 16/01/2016 - 17:39

RobL
Further to my post above, the survey measures satisfaction with the products but I don't think it represents customer support, but the main point still applies.

Comment by RobL posted on Ricoh Pentax awful customer service at 15/01/2016 - 18:10

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo