All Forum Comments
Comment by NigelS posted on Pentax HD DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC - Autofocus failing at most focal lengths at 01/10/2026 - 00:12
I had similar problems, but my issue was caused by the horizon correction setting. (Page4 on the mode menu ). Make sure it is turned off because I have found it uses the shake reduction / Astro function to auto correct the horizon and that will affect the Astro tracking mechanism.
Comment by NigelS posted on Astrotracer Effectiveness? at 07/12/2022 - 17:11
Coincidentally I have also had a problem with the shutter on my K-1. First press of the release button does not fire the shutter, and it takes a few attempts to get it moving, the problem started to happen at around 20k actuations, well within the rated specification for the camera.
After a while a few more problems appeared, spots on the sensor that were not dust but appeared to be scratches and pit marks, presumably caused by the shutter hitting the sensor and damaging it. Separately had a problem with image dark and light 'banding' at higher ISO setting when used in dim lighting. The camera was originally purchase from 'SRSmicro' so back it went for their assessment at beginning of Nov 2021. They sent it to J Pye who said the sensor was damaged by cleaning (??) and it need a new shutter assembly and main circuit board. Total cost was quoted to be approx £900 ! It is now mid April 2022, just on 6 months from me sending the camera away and I have not heard a thing from J Pye and SRS do not seem to be getting any information from them either.
So as you can tell I am not at all impressed with J Pye or Pentax at the moment. 6 months with no information, contact or explanation just about sums up Pentax as far as I am concerned. I am seriously thinking of trading in all my Pentax items and swapping to another brand.
After a while a few more problems appeared, spots on the sensor that were not dust but appeared to be scratches and pit marks, presumably caused by the shutter hitting the sensor and damaging it. Separately had a problem with image dark and light 'banding' at higher ISO setting when used in dim lighting. The camera was originally purchase from 'SRSmicro' so back it went for their assessment at beginning of Nov 2021. They sent it to J Pye who said the sensor was damaged by cleaning (??) and it need a new shutter assembly and main circuit board. Total cost was quoted to be approx £900 ! It is now mid April 2022, just on 6 months from me sending the camera away and I have not heard a thing from J Pye and SRS do not seem to be getting any information from them either.
So as you can tell I am not at all impressed with J Pye or Pentax at the moment. 6 months with no information, contact or explanation just about sums up Pentax as far as I am concerned. I am seriously thinking of trading in all my Pentax items and swapping to another brand.
Comment by NigelS posted on Repair Centre For my K1 at 20/04/2022 - 23:05


Just an update on my lens for anyone who has a 16-85 and faces a similar issue in the future:
I haven't heard anything back from 1stAid yet. Sent the lens to John Pye. (NB for inspection, diagnosis and return of an item if you don't want them to repair it John Pye charge £24 (including VAT and return postage). You don't pay this if you choose to proceed with the repair, which I thought was very fair).
Communication thus far has been very good with them by email, sometimes not so good by phone. Any emails have been answered promptly. Lens diagnosis and quote emailed to me the day after they received the lens.
Diagnosis is that the fault is in the focusing circuit and this needs to be replaced, so parts required. Part ordered, expected to "take a few weeks" to get it. Imagine that it might be a while then........and just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get an email in a few weeks saying that they can't get the part.
I will update when I have anything else.