nass

Joined: 5th August 2009

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

nass
I suspect that the limiter for us UK folk will be the presence of dark sky. This looks quite useful - a light pollution map. Some other useful links:

- Stellarium to see what you're looking at (website)
- Star Walk, my daugher's favourite app of mine. Point ipad at sky and it tells you what's there.

Comment by nass posted on O-GPS1 Astrotracer function is phenomenal! at 04/12/2013 - 11:07

nass
Worst lens I have. Seriously. Waste of space.

Comment by nass posted on Whats it worth Pancake M 40mm 2.8 at 03/12/2013 - 17:09

nass
Works fine with K5, I'm on latest version

Comment by nass posted on O-GPS1 Astrotracer function is phenomenal! at 03/12/2013 - 16:08

nass
Yeah it's pretty impressive. I can't wait to use it. I have the camera primed on a tripod set up with some extra eq to help get great focus all ready and waiting, now to wait for some clear skies.

Comment by nass posted on O-GPS1 Astrotracer function is phenomenal! at 03/12/2013 - 10:09

nass
richandfleur wrote:
SteveEveritt wrote:
Ah, I'm enlightened. Cheers Nass Surely it couldn't do it for 2-3 minutes though, could it?
Presumably this would depend on where you are aiming, as some stars 'move' more than others as you head away from the poles.
No, I can tell you it doesn't depend on where you're aiming, the max length it allows you depends on the mm of the lens, the unit gives you a maximum time available which differs per lens. Longer for UWA, shorter for bigma, etc. Beyond this though, I honestly can't tell you much more yet... need to use it more first I suspect that what you say about moving at different rates maybe true, there are quite a few ifs and buts I've been reading about googling it so I'm sure I'll report back in due course when I have more of a clue

Comment by nass posted on O-GPS1 Astrotracer function is phenomenal! at 03/12/2013 - 00:21

nass
SteveEveritt wrote:
So how does it "follow" the stars? You attach the GPS thingy and then what?
... then it moves the sensor for you in B mode, based on the mm of the lens data, at the same speed stars move on the sensor, so the stars stay put. Like an inbuilt equatorial mount, which is the thingamygummy that follows the stars when you're looking through a telescope.

Comment by nass posted on O-GPS1 Astrotracer function is phenomenal! at 02/12/2013 - 22:11

nass
richandfleur wrote:
Ok, this is a whole other area of the K-30 I haven't found until now, so thanks for the heads up. Yes the manual is really weak on this!

Tutorials please! This sounds really cool.

Similar to the built in interval timers which are finding a lot of favour from video guys because you can do HDR shots from within camera on intervals automatically. The auto HDR setting provides quite natural looking results, so that's actually quite usable.

Although, like others, I've had the K-30 interval timer just stop for not real reason. No formal fix for this was ever issued unfortunately.
I can't say for certain as I havn't played enough with it yet, but I should think it's unlikely that in-camera HDR would work, because it has to be on bulb mode. But HDR blending on a PC after the fact should be ok, you might lose a little negative size because of star movement but beyond that I don't see any reason why not?

Comment by nass posted on O-GPS1 Astrotracer function is phenomenal! at 02/12/2013 - 20:43

nass
LennyBloke wrote:
I've been thinking about getting one of these, but what puts me off is all the talk of "stacking" and the post-processing needed on many forum posts. I appreciate that the more effort you can put in the better the results will be, but do any of you who have one of these manage reasonable shots without processing/stacking?
Sorry, I have not put any up yet but yes, even after one night I've managed an ok photo without any stacking. It's dead easy, as Francois says, switch it on, get signal ("calibrate"), put camera on B and shoot a shot on B. I managed a couple of ok shots (good enough that wife wants it as her desktop pic) although I'm after a higher standard myself so will probably go the whole hog with blending and stacking before I put something vaguely ok up. Oh and it's the wrong part of the year for a nice milky way shot and where I live is the wrong area. But to answer your question, very easy to use for a basic stars in the sky type shot.

Comment by nass posted on O-GPS1 Astrotracer function is phenomenal! at 02/12/2013 - 16:05

nass
I just bought one of these too and although I was less than overwhelmed by the manual on how to use it, I figured it out after a bit of googling around. For me it's just a tool to get non-trail milky way backgrounds to blend them into night shots and I think for this sort of simple purpose it looks ideal, and dead easy to take to location. One slight issue is that I'm about an hr south of London and shooting north is just a waste of time because of the light pollution, but hopefully I'll find some spots nearby to shoot in other directions. I actually bought it for this comet but I guess we'll see if anything is eventually visible

Comment by nass posted on O-GPS1 Astrotracer function is phenomenal! at 02/12/2013 - 12:02

nass
Damm!

And my astrotracer thing arrived today

Comment by nass posted on Comet Ison at 28/11/2013 - 22:20

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo