All Forum Comments
I tried the Sigma but liked the Pentax 10-17mm more, simply because I like the fish eye images. I ended up with neither. As much as I would like to own the lens, I could see me using it a lot to begin with and then struggling to find a regular need for it. Anything new coming in has got to justify its acquisition. I'm still working on a good long term reason to get the 10-17mm though!
Comment by Kseries posted on sigma 10-20 or pentax 10-17 at 28/12/2014 - 19:06
Well, I added my never to the poll. Despite my somewhat negative feeling towards video being included in my DSLR, I've put making a short video in my photography 'things to do' list for 2015.
Comment by Kseries posted on How many photographers use video function on DSLR at 24/12/2014 - 15:24
I'm pleased that someone has asked this question. Whilst I'm certain I'd be impressed with the abilities of the video function, it's something I don't have any real interest in, and would have been happy to have had an option to buy the camera without this feature at a lower price. Do video camera manufacturers made a big deal about the single image capabilities of their products?
At the local river, I see no end of bridge camera owners shooting video of the ducks and narrow boats, but I've yet to see any DSLR owners do the same; I've got to the stage of looking to see if a DSLR is being used that way.
My view in time over this may change, and as it is there I might be tempted to use it at some stage in the future. I suppose I'm curious why so many camera reviews bang on about the video features and I'm left thinking that I only wanted a camera, and my own group of friends feel much the same way.
At the local river, I see no end of bridge camera owners shooting video of the ducks and narrow boats, but I've yet to see any DSLR owners do the same; I've got to the stage of looking to see if a DSLR is being used that way.
My view in time over this may change, and as it is there I might be tempted to use it at some stage in the future. I suppose I'm curious why so many camera reviews bang on about the video features and I'm left thinking that I only wanted a camera, and my own group of friends feel much the same way.
Comment by Kseries posted on Why video on a DSLR? at 24/12/2014 - 08:46
Just a small observation from a new poster, but long time reader of the forum.
I own a K3. As a hobby photographer, I agonised long and hard over the various reviews and videos on the internet before buying, and I moved up from a K7. For me, there had to be clear water between models in terms of improvements and refinements. If I had any of the K5 models, all fine cameras, I'm certain I wouldn't have upgraded to a K3 as there is some clear feature overlap.
I used Pentax film cameras for decades, and swapped to an ist D sometime after it was launched. I traded that in for my K7, and that was a giant leap and an easy decision, both for features and the feel it brought, and it was only at that point that I felt I was getting back to what I had lost with my film LX. The K3 is an upgrade, but not a leap from a K7. In recent years, the introduction of a new model has never made me reach for my cheque book, and this time round, I've retained the K7, as it is still a very usable camera. I will admit to liking the K3 grip more and that alone has been worth the purchase!
I have no idea if a later model of the K3 is planned or, assuming they use the same name pattern, a K1 - but it will have to offer a significant difference and improvement to the K3 for me to sign up. As I tend to use the cameras manually mostly, that's quite an ask.
I own a K3. As a hobby photographer, I agonised long and hard over the various reviews and videos on the internet before buying, and I moved up from a K7. For me, there had to be clear water between models in terms of improvements and refinements. If I had any of the K5 models, all fine cameras, I'm certain I wouldn't have upgraded to a K3 as there is some clear feature overlap.
I used Pentax film cameras for decades, and swapped to an ist D sometime after it was launched. I traded that in for my K7, and that was a giant leap and an easy decision, both for features and the feel it brought, and it was only at that point that I felt I was getting back to what I had lost with my film LX. The K3 is an upgrade, but not a leap from a K7. In recent years, the introduction of a new model has never made me reach for my cheque book, and this time round, I've retained the K7, as it is still a very usable camera. I will admit to liking the K3 grip more and that alone has been worth the purchase!
I have no idea if a later model of the K3 is planned or, assuming they use the same name pattern, a K1 - but it will have to offer a significant difference and improvement to the K3 for me to sign up. As I tend to use the cameras manually mostly, that's quite an ask.
Comment by Kseries posted on Great K3 review at 17/12/2014 - 09:54

