All Forum Comments
Comment by karthikv82 posted on Pentax 150-450 F4.5-5.6 vs Sigma 500 F4.5 vs Pentax 560 F5.6 at 25/06/2015 - 22:35
Did you not try the 560mm
Comment by karthikv82 posted on Pentax 150-450 F4.5-5.6 vs Sigma 500 F4.5 vs Pentax 560 F5.6 at 21/06/2015 - 11:03
Now the lens is in my possession, I will do a good test run and put up more pictures as and when.
Did you PX the 500mm or keep it in the end?
Comment by karthikv82 posted on Pentax 150-450 F4.5-5.6 vs Sigma 500 F4.5 vs Pentax 560 F5.6 at 20/06/2015 - 22:58
Those are beautiful wildlife images karthik, amazing creatures and great captures in exotic safari mode! Good luck with your comparison shots .... Are you going off to the local duck-pond to try out the lenses I too look forward to your further informative feedback
Comment by karthikv82 posted on Pentax 150-450 F4.5-5.6 vs Sigma 500 F4.5 vs Pentax 560 F5.6 at 20/06/2015 - 18:47
Unfortunately I can't see that the comparison will be of much use unless you take the time to do AF adjustment on the 150-450mm and 560mm (presuming you have already done it on the 500mm). From the shots in my thread I was more than happy with my 150-450mm even wide open at 450mm but I bought a new tripod and gimbal a few days ago and decided to do the adjustment properly (for the first time ever). I have settled on -4 and it is now spot on. I thought it was sharp then but now ....
Comment by karthikv82 posted on Pentax 150-450 F4.5-5.6 vs Sigma 500 F4.5 vs Pentax 560 F5.6 at 20/06/2015 - 18:44
PS: Please excuse my poor reviewing / comparison skills. But, it’s the best I can do with my little knowledge. Hope it helps ☺
Note: I didn’t use the Pentax 560 at all as it wasn’t in my budget and more importantly, I know it ticks the additional boxes mentioned above already.
The 150-450 had already ticked a few the boxes for me with the specs, reviews on this and other Pentax forums. The few other things I wanted to check and convince myself was to
1. Compare the sharpness
2. 1SO handling
3. Contrast
4. Feel
5. Ease to work with a TC
My main question was should I part with my Sigma500 ? and why ?
I stopped by in Tesco the previous night and bought my near to life, wildlife subject. Almost worst case, high contrast, dark eyes deep-set and fur to check the details.
The series of images you see have been shot in RAW. Absolutely no re-touching. Converted to jpeg in PS. Weather was cloudy and the light was not very good. Perfect for the test. I shot all images with the 500 first and then did the same with the 150-450. To my advantage the light got slightly worse. So shows a true capability. All shots were handheld.
Subject was around 9 meters away.
Image 1
EXIF:
Lens: Sigma 500 F4.5
Camera: PENTAX K-3
Focal Length: 500 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/320 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 400

Image 2
Lens: Pentax 150-450 F4.5 – 5.6
Camera: PENTAX K-3
Focal Length: 450 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/250 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 400

Image 3
Lens: Sigma 500 F4.5
Camera: PENTAX K-3
Focal Length: 500 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/1600 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 1600

Image 4
Lens: Pentax 150-450 F4.5 – 5.6
Camera: PENTAX K-3
Focal Length: 450 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/800 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 1600

Image 5
Lens: Sigma 500 F4.5
Camera: PENTAX K-3
Focal Length: 500 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/3200 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 3200

Image 6
Lens: Pentax 150-450 F4.5 – 5.6
Camera: PENTAX K-3
Focal Length: 450 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/1600 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 3200

Image 7
Lens: Pentax 150-450 F4.5 – 5.6 + 1.4X TC
Camera: PENTAX K-3
Focal Length: 630 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/320 sec
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 800

Image 8
Lens: Pentax 150-450 F4.5 – 5.6 + 1.4X TC
Camera: PENTAX K-3
Focal Length: 630 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/500 sec
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 1600

Image 9
Side by side comparison of the image from the Sigma 500 and Pentax 150-450 at 450. Cropped. Image 1 and 2. ISO 400

Image 10
Side by side comparison of the image from the Sigma 500 and Pentax 150-450 at 450. Cropped. Image 1 and 2. ISO 1600

Finally, I just wanted to see what the image from the TC would look like after PP and crop. Not much done. Spent probably 30 seconds on it. Excuse the quality here. Looks better on my computer
Lens: Pentax 150-450 F4.5 – 5.6 + 1.4X TC
Camera: PENTAX K-3
Focal Length: 630 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/400 sec
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 1600

After the kind guys at SRS put up with me for over an hour, I made the decision and walked away with the Pentax 150-450 and a 1.4X TC. Happy ☺
The AF was quick but the test is not enough to show its full capability. It feels very sturdy in the hand. Still trying to work out the buttons on the lens but will get there eventually.
Now the lens is in my possession, I will do a good test run and put up more pictures as and when.
Comment by karthikv82 posted on Pentax 150-450 F4.5-5.6 vs Sigma 500 F4.5 vs Pentax 560 F5.6 at 20/06/2015 - 18:33
Unfortunately I can't see that the comparison will be of much use unless you take the time to do AF adjustment on the 150-450mm and 560mm (presuming you have already done it on the 500mm). From the shots in my thread I was more than happy with my 150-450mm even wide open at 450mm but I bought a new tripod and gimbal a few days ago and decided to do the adjustment properly (for the first time ever). I have settled on -4 and it is now spot on. I thought it was sharp then but now ....
Funny you should mention the 100-300. PK mount in classifieds go for £700-800 while EF or F mount go for less than half that amount... Between you and Mike-P I might be forced to sell my rather good Sigma 150-500 and go for the D-FA...
In the process of writing up and putting some pictures of the test comparison shots.
Comment by karthikv82 posted on Pentax 150-450 F4.5-5.6 vs Sigma 500 F4.5 vs Pentax 560 F5.6 at 20/06/2015 - 17:44
Have you tried the lens out with theTC ?
Comment by karthikv82 posted on Some photos from the 150-450mm at 19/06/2015 - 00:42
This is one of those ones where I most definitely would not mind Sigma coming out with the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8
Used on any other body outside of the not yet available PK, it's been quite widely accepted as one of the best WR zoom lenses ever built
The Sigma 150-600mm also quite well up there in both optics and unparalleled levels of WR. Sure the aperture could be improved, but look at the price.
As for the Sigma 150-600mm sport, again I tried one .. nice lens if you can fill the frame but try shooting anything at distance and the subject turns to mush.
Comment by karthikv82 posted on Pentax 150-450 F4.5-5.6 vs Sigma 500 F4.5 vs Pentax 560 F5.6 at 19/06/2015 - 00:30
I mainly photograph wildlife and the only camera system I have ever used is Pentax. Most of you who shoot the same might share my frustrations with the limitations to the available range of lenses from Pentax (in production) to suit my needs.
I currently own the Sigma 500 F4.5 and have to say… it is sweeeet but … and it comes with a "BUT", it comes with drawbacks:
1. Not weather sealed – I have been in extreme conditions photographing wildlife in different parts of the world from the rain forests of Rwanda and Borneo to the dry dusty safaris in India and Kenya and needless to say ever so lovely unpredictable British. I have to admit it is a pain to keep the lens covered with the rain and dust coat. However, this is not the biggest minus point. I can live with it
2. Lens movement – That’s the best way I would describe is the lens has a very slight movement (probably 1mm) enough to let the lens start searching (I have attached a pic of what ive seen happen on my 500 and 100-300). I have missed on some of the best action shots because of this. I have had this checked with Sigma and Richo and had the bayonet replaced spending £150. No much luck. The same thing seems to happen just not as much and I know that it will eventually get there. Happens only happens when handheld or on a beanbag. Tripod – no issues.

3. Doesn’t work well with 1.4x TC – well while many might argue that the TC works with the lens, it doesn’t work well enough for me ☺. I rather not use it at all.
Having said that, here are some shots form the 500. When it locks in …it is amazing.






As much as I love the prime, I do like the versatility of a zoom lens and everything that the 150-450 promises to deliver on the above points. I think no one in this day and age ever uses an image just out of the camera without a crop or a slide of some of the buttons on a photo development software. Therefore, the trade off, if not blatantly noticeable can be made.
So, I have been trolling the interweb to get a comparison between the three lenses and TBH I haven’t found any. The members who have gone out and taken some pics with 150-450 have helped prove that the lens is very good at 150, 350 and every other focal length but the 450 wide open and high ISO. Something very relevant to my needs. And, if it really performs with the 1.4x TC. Therefore, I have decided to do my own. I am heading down to SRS this Saturday and do a back to back to back test on the three.
As for the Pentax 560 – I can’t not do a comparison just to convince myself considering the current price.
Have your say and wish me luck for the Saturday. I will post some comparison photos of the three.
Regards,
Karthik
Comment by karthikv82 posted on Pentax 150-450 F4.5-5.6 vs Sigma 500 F4.5 vs Pentax 560 F5.6 at 18/06/2015 - 21:32


The AF tracking seems a bit slow but it might just be me. Will do the AF fine tuning this wkend and get back with some more photos.
The images are not straight off the camera.