Algernon

Joined: 22nd May 2010

All Forum Comments

Topics Created Topics Contributed Forum Comments Photo Comments

All Forum Comments

Algernon
Nice sharp pictures.... and where did that sunshine come from

Comment by Algernon posted on Ashton Windmill, Somerset (four pictures reduced in size) at 01/08/2010 - 12:57

Algernon
The "Dongguan Fushitong Photographic Accessories Factory" look quite impressive.
Even their website is on Alibaba.com

I noticed a national D&P retailer had some FST flash units for baby pics.
I was amazed how small they were for 200 watts.

I think you can buy them on ebay.

Comment by Algernon posted on portrait lighting kits. at 31/07/2010 - 11:18

Algernon
I would be surprised if you can't find anything on the web about storing old books? A local Library or Museum should know. Clean air and relative humidity is probably the most important thing followed by temperature. I was surprised to find that one of our local museums kept their store room quite cold but at a very critical RH. Another viewing room has precise controls for RH and temp. and any visiting exhibitions specify what these are to be set to.

You might find something on this site link

Comment by Algernon posted on Preservation of old books at 31/07/2010 - 11:02

Algernon
Sunlight won't clear haze (unless it's moisture), it will only clear yellowing, but takes ages, so don't bother with it.

The picture you posted shows dust, not fungus and not nicotine which would be very unlikely anyway.

Comment by Algernon posted on K24 colour rendition at 31/07/2010 - 10:43

Algernon
polchraine wrote:
Algernon wrote:


Having said that I've still got some Panasonic AA 1500mh NiMh that are still going strong after about 10 years. (Panasonic own Sanyo who make Eneloops).
They have only owned Sanyo since just before Christmas 2009 ... there may have been some technology sharing in batteries and relabeling before then but not as a single company.
There's always been a link between Sanyo and Panasonic. Sanyo used to make Panasonic CD/DVD writers not sure about batteries though. The last of the really good Panasonics I've got were either 2100mAh or 2300mAh they are probably in a HP Pocket PC somewhere. They were all MIJ. The later Panasonic Infiniums which aren't as good are Made in China, so they won't be Sanyo's for sure.

Ricehigh has done some extensive tests on batteries over the past couple of years link and recommends Japanese batteries by either Energizer or Panasonic (I've never seen the MIJ Energizers only US and they haven't impressed me).

7Day have some 2600mAh Panasonics, but I suspect they might be Made in China.

Comment by Algernon posted on HI would like to buy a ist ds so i can be a pentax user at 30/07/2010 - 16:46

Algernon
marshyred wrote:
Thanks for your cooments on my picture oh I bought 8 eneloopes from amazon for about 9 quid and got a boss charger for about 13 on amazon so thalks for you remeedations
That's the cheapest in the long run and Eneloops are about the best. A new version came out a few months ago. Mine are the original version, but work OK. I suppose it will take time for the new versions to reach the shops.

Having said that I've still got some Panasonic AA 1500mh NiMh that are still going strong after about 10 years. (Panasonic own Sanyo who make Eneloops).

If you have the time, you can get a little bit more life in them by removing them from the charger and then putting them back in (the charger)for an hour or two to give them a 2nd charge.

Comment by Algernon posted on HI would like to buy a ist ds so i can be a pentax user at 30/07/2010 - 14:07

Algernon
Agreed Bob, I've got the full version, but rarely ever use the quick shift. I would switch to manual focus in any case, if I was in a situation where AF wouldn't work. I use it mainly in manual anyway.

Comment by Algernon posted on Telephoto lens - need advice at 30/07/2010 - 13:47

Algernon
Hi George, I've just commented (positively) in the gallery about your 1st photo.

I don't know if you are still using Energiser AA Lithiums or not, but I noticed Sainsbury's are doing them for £3.99 for 4 also Amazon are around that price post free.

Nice to see you back again

Comment by Algernon posted on HI would like to buy a ist ds so i can be a pentax user at 30/07/2010 - 13:39

Algernon
Some well captured shots Jon. I'll have to dig out my Tokina 80-400mm I seem to have overlooked it

Comment by Algernon posted on British Triathlon images (Tokina 80-400) at 30/07/2010 - 10:35

Algernon
Here's quite a good test on the Pentax 55-300mm

Comment by Algernon posted on Telephoto lens - need advice at 30/07/2010 - 10:28

Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo