The Ark


Photo Information
The majestic, symmetry view of the main auditorium of an abandoned synagogue. Quite an impressive sight to behold. I found it interesting that almost every seat in the place had a metal etched name plate screwed into the woodwork above each chair. Did this mean that every sitting here had the same people sitting in the same place?
CategoryArchitecture
BodyN/A
Shutter SpeedN/A
ApertureN/A
LensN/A
ISON/A
Focal LengthN/A

davidstorm

Link Posted 17/08/2014 - 22:00
A striking image Matt, is it shot with the K-3? If so, what lens?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Link Posted 17/08/2014 - 22:39
Yes with the K3 and the DA 20-40 Limited. 5 portrait shots stitched into this long panorama.
Could have used a couple of wide angle images but I like the option of printing them very large so pano's tend to give me that.
Matt
Forgotten Heritage Photography
https://www.facebook.com/ForgottenHeritagePhotography https://www.flickr.com/photos/memmett/sets/72157636937229545/

drobbia

Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 00:39
Well produced and thought out image. Internet search advises that since synagogues do not "pass the plate" , many synagogues allow the congregants who might like the location etc. to purchase a seat for them selves and family. The payments pay for staff, maintenance etc.
"It's not what you look at that's important, it's what you see" - Thoreau
Quote:

Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 00:44
It had been also suggested that the name plates may be remembrance plaques.
Matt
Forgotten Heritage Photography
https://www.facebook.com/ForgottenHeritagePhotography https://www.flickr.com/photos/memmett/sets/72157636937229545/

WaypointCharlie

Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 10:07
Wow, what a great building.

That's my kind of photo, both in composition and technique. It's probably my engineering background. It's got symmetry, perspective, converging lines, arches, windows, light...

I might have attempted a little bit of HDR..and been the worse for it!

I'm not sure where you're based but are you aware of Open House London next month?
Last Edited by WaypointCharlie on 18/08/2014 - 10:08

WaypointCharlie

Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 10:47
You persuaded me to look it up:

http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/2014/04/01/urbex-the-ark-synagogue-liverpool-...

Should also add the Arc Deco influence - another plus for me.
Last Edited by WaypointCharlie on 18/08/2014 - 10:53

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 11:20
Love the combination of breadth and depth... Great scale to this...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 12:15
WaypointCharlie wrote:
Wow, what a great building.

That's my kind of photo, both in composition and technique. It's probably my engineering background. It's got symmetry, perspective, converging lines, arches, windows, light...

I might have attempted a little bit of HDR..and been the worse for it!

I'm not sure where you're based but are you aware of Open House London next month?

I tend not to bother will London open house. I prefer to make my own way into these buildings when they're closed to the public. No-one gets in your way and tripods are OK too It's a little bit naughty but nothing beats being left to get on with your photography without any of the restrictions or interruptions you get in a managed heritage location.
Matt
Forgotten Heritage Photography
https://www.facebook.com/ForgottenHeritagePhotography https://www.flickr.com/photos/memmett/sets/72157636937229545/

WaypointCharlie

Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 12:49
ForgottenHeritagePhotography wrote:

I tend not to bother will London open house. I prefer to make my own way into these buildings when they're closed to the public. No-one gets in your way and tripods are OK too It's a little bit naughty but nothing beats being left to get on with your photography without any of the restrictions or interruptions you get in a managed heritage location.

I know exactly what you mean, although I still need to improve my blagging skills. I've primed the wife to expect a call one day from a police station!

tyronet2000

Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 15:26
Never let minor illegalities get in the way of a great image

I think this image was worth any risk involved.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 20:30
tyronet2000 wrote:
Never let minor illegalities get in the way of a great image

I think this image was worth any risk involved.

My sentiments exactly
Matt
Forgotten Heritage Photography
https://www.facebook.com/ForgottenHeritagePhotography https://www.flickr.com/photos/memmett/sets/72157636937229545/

Teaka53

Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 20:45
Superb work
Malc

Stuey

Link Posted 18/08/2014 - 21:33
Very nice

It seems one hell of a building not to be in use
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.