Zoom lens recommendations
Posted 13/06/2010 - 16:45 - Helpful Comment
Link
Hi there - my guess is you must be coming from one of the Panasonic FZ cameras? I came from FZ20 (5MP with lovely 12X zoom lens) but am surprised at what you are finding with the K20D. Even my 6MP K200D blew the FZ20 away.
The bridge camera will by default have settings which provide much more "pop" out of the camera: more highly saturated and more highly sharpened - but the results even from the kit lens with the dSLR really should be superior - much smoother, more natural and if you do a bit of work on the computer, much more detail too.
Pentax in particular tend to go for fairly natural looks out of the camera, leaving the images with plenty of flexibility for post processing on the computer. But if that isn't to your liking, you could begin by using the camera in "vibrant" mode, and perhaps up the sharpness setting a notch or two as well. You may prefer those results and the resulting reduced time spent on the computer!
As for telezooms, the Pentax 55-300 is probably the most cost effective telezoom you can get - not ridiculously pricey, and holds its quality even at the longer lengths. Control over fringing is vastly superior to my old FZ20 too, and I would have no doubt that the results would be better than your bridge camera.
Another lens that is sharp and can be found cheaper is the Tamron 70-300. This does come with more purple fringing on occasion, but can be dealt with in post-processing on occasions when it is particularly bad.
Either of the lenses above are "better" performers than the 50-200, although if you buy the WR version of the latter, you have a much smaller lens that is also weather sealed so an ideal accompaniment to your K20D body if you'd like to take it out in all weathers without worrying.
The bridge camera will by default have settings which provide much more "pop" out of the camera: more highly saturated and more highly sharpened - but the results even from the kit lens with the dSLR really should be superior - much smoother, more natural and if you do a bit of work on the computer, much more detail too.
Pentax in particular tend to go for fairly natural looks out of the camera, leaving the images with plenty of flexibility for post processing on the computer. But if that isn't to your liking, you could begin by using the camera in "vibrant" mode, and perhaps up the sharpness setting a notch or two as well. You may prefer those results and the resulting reduced time spent on the computer!
As for telezooms, the Pentax 55-300 is probably the most cost effective telezoom you can get - not ridiculously pricey, and holds its quality even at the longer lengths. Control over fringing is vastly superior to my old FZ20 too, and I would have no doubt that the results would be better than your bridge camera.
Another lens that is sharp and can be found cheaper is the Tamron 70-300. This does come with more purple fringing on occasion, but can be dealt with in post-processing on occasions when it is particularly bad.
Either of the lenses above are "better" performers than the 50-200, although if you buy the WR version of the latter, you have a much smaller lens that is also weather sealed so an ideal accompaniment to your K20D body if you'd like to take it out in all weathers without worrying.
Posted 13/06/2010 - 17:39
Link
JonSchick wrote:
Even my 6MP K200D blew the FZ20 away.
But the K200D surely is a 10MP camera.
Even my 6MP K200D blew the FZ20 away.
Best regards
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Terry
K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ
Posted 13/06/2010 - 18:35
Link
I have used the Tamron 70-300mm lens a lot and found the quality verse price unbeatable, also very good macro abilities. Can be found very cheap on ebay.
Posted 13/06/2010 - 22:00 - Helpful Comment
Link
Quote:
compatible with the shake reduction (most important, I'm over 75!)
Welcome to the forum Fabson, I can sympathise with you here; because I can only hold my K20 single handed, shake is an issue. I have used both the Tammy 70 -300 and the Pentax 55-300 extensively, I sold the Tammy. The Pentax is by far the better lens in terms of IQ and handling. I believe there is now a "L" version which may save you a few quid if money is realy tight. But in any case go for the Pentax.Both lenses work with the SR, it`s in body.compatible with the shake reduction (most important, I'm over 75!)
Davex
Posted 14/06/2010 - 00:28
Link
There are large numbers of new sub-£100 Pentax 50-200mm zooms on ebay (presumably split from kits) but I'd be more inclined to look for something a bit longer, like the 55-300mm.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 14/06/2010 - 08:32
Link
The only other consideration in favour of the 50-200mm is that being a shorter lens it may be easier to hand hold with our shake. I know we have the SR mechanism, but still we need to keep the camera as still as we can for the best results. It just extends the shutter speed range over which we can do this.
Best regards, John
Posted 14/06/2010 - 08:34 - Helpful Comment
Link
Fabson wrote:
I want a zoom lens, preferably around 50-200, with better glass than the kit lens, auto focus and compatible with the shake reduction (most important, I'm over 75!).
Any lens you can attach to your camera is compatible with the shake reduction (SR) system, even the 50+ year old Takumar screw thread lenses (with an adapter).I want a zoom lens, preferably around 50-200, with better glass than the kit lens, auto focus and compatible with the shake reduction (most important, I'm over 75!).
Image quality can be heavily influenced by the zoom ratio and I prefer not to buy zooms with a ratio greater than 3 or 4. That is, divide the zooms longest focal length by its shortest to determine the ratio. EG: 55-200mm has approx. 4:1 zoom ratio, 50-500mm has a ratio of 10:1.
Some of the older zooms are very good, the FA 80-320 is excellent up to about 260mm, IQ falls off a bit towards the long end.
With a limited budget, you are more or less limited to these older lenses anyway but as others have said, Tamron & Sigma lenses can be found at reasonable prices and I'm surer you'll find something that will suit you.
Finally, if you are not getting usable IQ from your kit lens I suspect you are not getting close enough to your subject. The Pentax kit lens is one of the best amongst all manufacturers and if you are able to fill the frame with your subject, you should be able to make perfectly good prints up to A3 size.
Remember your viewfinder shows only about 94% of the image that is recorded. If you exactly fill the viewfinder with your subject, when viewed on screen it will have more of the scene than you saw when you shot it. So my advice in the short term is . . . get closer.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 14/06/2010 - 08:50
Link
I've owned several of the consumer "tele" options (Sigma 70-300 APO, Pentax 55-200, Tamron 70-300 & now Pentax 55-300).
If it's "bang for buck" you're looking for I'd agree with the earlier comments regarding the Tamron 70-300, it suffers quite a bit of CA but it's very sharp at all focal lengths.
Personally I think the best of the above is the DA 55-300, by some margin. Great colour/contrast and very sharp at all focal lengths, minimal CA - obviously it's the dearest option though
Simon
If it's "bang for buck" you're looking for I'd agree with the earlier comments regarding the Tamron 70-300, it suffers quite a bit of CA but it's very sharp at all focal lengths.
Personally I think the best of the above is the DA 55-300, by some margin. Great colour/contrast and very sharp at all focal lengths, minimal CA - obviously it's the dearest option though
Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Posted 14/06/2010 - 09:14
Link
The SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm WR lens may be inexpensive, but I don't think it's too shabby at all:
[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/johnriley1uk/049-Purity-in-Yellow-800px.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff250/johnriley1uk/049-Purity-in-Yellow-800px.jpg[/IMG]
Best regards, John
Posted 14/06/2010 - 09:29
Link
Actually, although I think the 55-300 is the better performer, for my purposes I chose to sell that and keep the 50-200 WR. It performs well enough, I love the fact that it is WR, and it is so much more compact - barely larger than the kit lens.
I'm not sure I would recommend it, however, if you know that you will spend the majority of your time shooting at the long end. It is an excellent performer in the middle of its range, but you don't get the best out of it at 200mm.
I'm not sure I would recommend it, however, if you know that you will spend the majority of your time shooting at the long end. It is an excellent performer in the middle of its range, but you don't get the best out of it at 200mm.
Posted 14/06/2010 - 10:14
Link
I had the 80-320 it's a lovely lens if you can get one at a reasonable price. Now i have the 55-300 and never looked back it's a fantastic lens.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3 posts
16 years
United Kingdom
I'm new to Pentax having been weaned from film SLR with a digital bridge camera, with a very good Leica 12 times optical zoom lens.
The image detail leaves little to be desired but at 4mp cropping for print is almost out of the question.
Now I have the K20 with the kit 18-55 Mk11 lens, which just doesn't match the detail clarity.
I want a zoom lens, preferably around 50-200, with better glass than the kit lens, auto focus and compatible with the shake reduction (most important, I'm over 75!). Oh and one other thing, I don't have a lot of money.
When I read DPreview and other reviews I see a "lack of clarity" at full zoom, which worries me because I would buy a zoom lens to get the benefit of the long zoom.
Sorry about a long winded introduction. Thanks for any possible help.