zoom lens help

Darkman

Link Posted 19/06/2010 - 18:43
hi there

Looking some advice. Trying to fing a faster focusing zoom lens than my tamron 70-300.
Will be getting a k10d soon to replace my k100d. I find it hunts too much for my liking.
Limited budget.
What are my options?

Thanks

Hardgravity

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 07:11
Pentax 55-300, any flavour,

I've tried a few different lenses in this range and stayed with the Tamron.

The Pentax image quality is better but at the time I couldn't afford one and since getting a Tamron 18-250 I find I don't switch lenses as much.

The problem with this range of lens sizes is they're usually slow(ish) and have a long focus travel, both of which makes them slow to lock on.

For a fast 300mm you could go for a prime, but you may have to mortgage the cat to do it!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K5+Tammy 18-250, a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Technoblurb

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 07:42
I have had both the Sigma 70-300 and Pentax DA 55-300, I find in both cases they hunt when focusing on small objects, when trying to capture birds I have put the Pentax on manual and hope for the best. The image quality is better on the Pentax but I'm not sure the difference is justified in the price, although you do get a greater focusing range. If you can stand it I would follow HHG's advise and save up for a prime.

Darkman

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 08:23
thanks for the help
Have a limited budget at the moment so might have to let it wait for a while and make do.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.