Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Zoo Photography

Anvh
Posted 15/06/2010 - 17:51 Link
Gwyn wrote:
How does he define zoo? Wildlife park? Seaworld?

Look at his zoo IV series link

Have fun in Blijdorp, they have renew a lot of things. Would be interesting to see if you can get the same kind of photos maybe?

ReklawyksEkul wrote:
nice link stefan. its really fascinating to say that we could make pictures like that from our local zoo. its been a long time since my last visit. still need a lot to learn in picture processing and picture taking

Gareth has giving some great, advice, it isn't that hard but you need to be patient.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
SonjaLX
Posted 16/06/2010 - 13:58 Link
I found this interesting interview with Mr. Ivanovic on Miss Rosen blog
http://missrosen.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/boza-ivanovic-the-once-and-future-king...
Anvh
Posted 16/06/2010 - 16:15 Link
Thank you Sonya, That's an interesting read.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
jack2012
Posted 19/06/2010 - 04:29 Link
While very few people get the chance to go on Safari or stalk Kodiak bears in Alaska, most anyone can go to a zoo. The zoo is a wonderful location to take images of exotic animals without high costs and in relative safety. Zoo also afford photographers a chance to get very close to wild animals for close up photography without a lot of equipment. If you keep a few basic techniques in mind you can make your zoo photos shine.
Edited by moderator: 21/06/2010 - 20:21
George Lazarette
Posted 19/06/2010 - 12:36 Link
cardiff_gareth wrote:

To reduce glare on glass try to get the lens touching the glass and wrap a dark coat around the end of it

Rubber lens hoods are very good for this.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
George Lazarette
Posted 19/06/2010 - 12:49 Link
Interesting.

He uses a very long lens, which gets him close to a distant subject, and throws the background out of focus. The use of f8 allows for a small margin of error with the focussing, whilst not greatly affecting the shallow DoF (f8 is quite a wide aperture with a 400mm lens).

In order to be able to use f8, low ISO, and a fastish shutter speed, he has to shoot in bright light. I very much doubt that in such conditions he could attain the subtle tonal effects that his pictures possess without a great deal of post-processing.

He is therefore as much a master of Photoshop as he is a good photographer, but no amount of skill in PS can make up for a lack of real talent. He succeeds so well because he has the ability both to conceive and to execute a great image.

Good photography used to need good light. With PS, some people appear to be able to create their own if God doesn't provide it.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
DrOrloff
Posted 20/06/2010 - 11:49 Link
Great photos. My kids are getting a bonus trip to the zoo. I've had a play with a couple of my pics which I thought were sort of suitable for this kind of treatment. They certainly don't bear much scrutiny but it's fun trying.

Comment Image

Comment Image
PentaxSM
Posted 24/06/2010 - 05:01 Link
Hi guys,
My name is Boza
I'm the photographer that you guys are talking about
First let me thank you for taking interest in my work
But you are all on the wrong road when it comes to my photography
You guys are trying to get this look in photoshop and that is where you are wrong- my photographs are NOT product of photoshop
Every zoo (18 ) in every country (9) that I visited for this project where carefully chosen

Every animal that I photographed was carefully chosen and many times results where not worthy of anything
and I spend insane amount of time and patience (not to mention the money)to get this project on the right track

Also many of this photographs are taken with BW film

And yes many times people think that it is impossible to do this in camera
But they are wrong -(just because you are lost it does not mean that compass is broken) it is possible-is not easy -you need many things to come together at the same time-this can not be done in every zoo , that is why I traveled so much and visited so many zoo's.
Also the person that talks about camera settings (is wrong)like 1-1000 of a second that needs lot's of light (yes this photos are taken in daylight- but there are not tricks -just careful selection of the animal surrounding) -this shutter speed is more related to the lens in use -to keep sharpness in check-

there will not be need for travel if photoshop is involved, everything will be done at the local zoo

THINK PHOTOGRAPHY NOT photoshop

Again, thank you for taking interest in my work
I hope this will make things more clear
I hope

Best wishes

Boza I.

P.S. All this from the phone, sorry for the typo
Edited by PentaxSM: 24/06/2010 - 05:06
PentaxSM
Posted 24/06/2010 - 13:07 Link
Gareth,
You need to use some program to resize photos for internet use (or for printing)
that is why cs is there
if any slight adjustment is done it is done ONLY in a dark room manner and capability
Also don't forget that digital files need to be converted into black and white
Many photos are done with BW film not most
And flash was never used
Film photos where scanned into mac
Sad to say but my favorite paper for dark room is no longer available to purchase
For many competitions or magazines I need to provide raw files or negatives
as a proof
This can be done in a camera alone
Again, this photos are taken in daylight- but there are not tricks -just careful selection of the animal surrounding
Also if you check my web site project about the prostitute Rose
it was done in a same manner and it was published in major magazines also with that story I was finalist in Palm Springs photo festival-Rose story was all done in a camera
http://www.bozaivanovic.com/v3/stories.asp?st_id=7&stp_id=60
you have good idea how to take zoo photos
just use your time and energy to produce photos in the camera not in a photoshop
trust me, you are going to feel much better as a photographer

Boza I.
Edited by PentaxSM: 24/06/2010 - 13:25
fatspider
Posted 24/06/2010 - 13:58 Link
If these were shot on film then I would hazard a guess at over developing of the negatives in a fine grain developer and then printing on grade 5 paper to get the high contrast, this would also explain the large areas of burning out and the solid blacks.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.