Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Your first camera

This topic has a poll - login to enter
Elva
Posted 18/01/2010 - 08:44 Link
A Kodak Box Brownie then later a Kodak instermatic 33 and my first 35mm a Helina without rangefinder or exposure meter, my first 35mm SLR ... A black bodied Pentax S1A with 55mm f2 lens.
I can shoot it ....
Edited by Elva: 18/01/2010 - 08:44
TOZZA27
Posted 18/01/2010 - 12:11 Link
Interesting that no-one seems to have used/had the magnificent Pentax auto 110 system as their first camera - I know my uncle had one and loved taking shots with it as he travelled around Peru.I still have one of the lenses ( 24mm F/2.8 ) the rest of the system was stolen whilst he was dying in hospital.The size is staggeringly small compared with the lenses of the usual SLR and it must have been a perfect "pocket camera".
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !
robbie_d
Posted 18/01/2010 - 12:13 Link
Got one of those freebie cameras that took 110 film (I think). It was a red plastic jobbie, with a fold-up plastic "viewfinder".

My mum got it for developing her photos at SupaSnaps/SuperSnaps.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
russell_w_b
Posted 18/01/2010 - 12:47 Link
FWIW, here's my two penn'orth:

1) Plastic camera, blue top, black body, 127 roll-film, make unknown, aged 5. Purchased at a toy shop in Keswick. Still remember the smell and the little red aperture in the back for the exposure number.

2) Bakelite Kodak Brownie, 127 roll-film, given by a friend of parents when I was 10 - this is what first got me interested and I used to rattle off all eight(!) shots then dash down to the chemists to get them developed. Could never load colour film properly (not dark enough under bed)! I still have some negs and prints from this camera somewhere...

3) Was also given an Ensign (Ilford?) with a look-down 90 degree viewfinder at similar time.

Would list other cameras but getting a little OT here!
UltraWide
Posted 19/01/2010 - 07:06 Link
Anvh wrote:
I'm the only one who started with a DSLR here, interesting.

Your not the only one, but certainly the first to respond.
I started with with a (gasp) Practika Nova 1b, by far the noisiest camera I have ever owned. That was was followed by a Fujica ST701 which was really good and then a procession of Pentax K-mounts culminating in the K10D and K7.

Cheers from Oz
alfpics
Posted 19/01/2010 - 08:47 Link
Quote:
That was was followed by a Fujica ST701

A good camera!
Andy
Andy
UltraWide
Posted 19/01/2010 - 10:57 Link
alfpics wrote:
Quote:
That was was followed by a Fujica ST701

A good camera!
Andy

Yes it was. I bought it in preference to the Spotmatic which a friend had and liked. During the time I owned it there was quite a buzz about "open-aperture metering". I never knew what it was about until I had a good play with that Spotmatic. It had a sliding switch on the side of the mount/pentaprism while the Fujica had a spring loaded DOF/meter button beside the lens like todays bayonet release. You just pressed the button, took the meter reading, released the button and there you were with open aperture to focus/compose. Too easy.

Cheers from Oz
Dangermouse
Posted 19/01/2010 - 17:48 Link
TOZZA27 wrote:
Interesting that no-one seems to have used/had the magnificent Pentax auto 110 system as their first camera - I know my uncle had one and loved taking shots with it as he travelled around Peru.I still have one of the lenses ( 24mm F/2.8 ) the rest of the system was stolen whilst he was dying in hospital.The size is staggeringly small compared with the lenses of the usual SLR and it must have been a perfect "pocket camera".

I have one of these, they are truly tiny! Not too expensive to buy if you fancy getting hold of one as an interesting addition to a collection, I paid about £20 for a good example with 24mm lens and the smaller of the two matching flashes.

I had another one with the 18mm wide angle lens a few years ago, it's somewhere in the house (I hope) although I haven't seen it for ages.

Did anyone else have one of the really cheap 110 cameras where the whole thing was barely larger than the film (with a fold-up viewfinder on the top)?
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Edited by Dangermouse: 19/01/2010 - 17:51

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.