You really can't win


gartmore

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 12:50
I just read this advert:

"I am a keen photographer looking to build up my portfolio thus I am willing to undertake full coverage of any wedding (and pre-wedding shoot) in the central Scotland area until March 2012 FREE OF CHARGE. After the wedding you would be supplied with a disc of high resolution images for you to print and share with your family and friends, as well as two complimentary high quality 9x6 prints"

Looking at his or her website further prints are 75p and books seem to be at cost as well.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

davex

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 13:15
Suppose it`s one way to build up a portfolio, at least they are being honest.
Think if I was in need of a wedding tog I would probably pay for one, rather than take the risk, after all accept their offer and what comeback do you have if the images are useless.
Pobably not great for the general market, but that`s what competion is about.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link

fatspider

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 13:21
Quote:
FREE OF CHARGE

Definately not Scottish then, must be a foriegner Ken
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Blythman

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 13:57
If the photographer is incompetent then its a shame for any couple that book. The offer to do a pre wedding shoot will help them to make an informed decision.
If he/she is competent then its a good offer, and the photographer is investing for the future. However he/she may have to work hard to adjust their target market to more affluent clients. All recommendations from initial weddings will want it for free too.

Can't make assumptions on insurance, or whetther they are full time or part time on the info given.
Alan


PPG
Flickr

Dangermouse

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 14:13
I'm told there's someone around here offering wedding shoots for £50.

Problem is, most of their customers love the results because they've never seen anything better. A local pro (who told me the story) reckoned that, as might be expected, they were dingy, lacking originality, and didn't do the subjects any favours.

The other side of that debate is that they're catering to people who wouldn't book anything more expensive, so they're not really taking business away from other pros in the area.

In the case mentioned above said photographer may well find it hard or impossible to progress their business having offered freebies, as while you'll find plenty of customers who book you for nothing the repeat business will probably hang up when informed that you're now charging.

If you want to get into the market then talk to established pros and convince them to take you along as a second camera for a few events, that'll get you the experience without having any effect on reputation. If anything it should help, as you can put something like "experienced professional now starting own business" in adverts.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

cabstar

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 14:23
Its not the weekend warriors charging free or £50 that's the problem. I have seen WW's around my way shooting for £1750 for just a disc full of out of camera images shot on a D40 with kit lens. The images haven't even been selected through for out of focus etc... just literally copied the card contents onto a cd...

These people leave a trail of disappointment & total trust in the photography industry.

At least this person is being up front, if you pay £50 for a wedding photographer, then the expectation is going to be low & as others have said is not really going to be a client to the full time wedding pro..
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

robbie_d

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 14:59
Dangermouse wrote:
I'm told there's someone around here offering wedding shoots for £50.

Problem is, most of their customers love the results because they've never seen anything better. A local pro (who told me the story) reckoned that, as might be expected, they were dingy, lacking originality, and didn't do the subjects any favours.

The other side of that debate is that they're catering to people who wouldn't book anything more expensive, so they're not really taking business away from other pros in the area.

In the case mentioned above said photographer may well find it hard or impossible to progress their business having offered freebies, as while you'll find plenty of customers who book you for nothing the repeat business will probably hang up when informed that you're now charging.

If you want to get into the market then talk to established pros and convince them to take you along as a second camera for a few events, that'll get you the experience without having any effect on reputation. If anything it should help, as you can put something like "experienced professional now starting own business" in adverts.

Very good point.

They will be recommended on the basis that they do wedding photos for free, this will develop an unrealistic expectation in potential customers.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 12/09/2011 - 15:00

gartmore

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 15:06
The pictures on the web site were, judging by them all being off-axis, were taken in guest mode.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

robbie_d

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 15:09
Another thought.

You can currently buy a brand new Ford Ka 1.2 Studio for a shade under £7,000.

Lamborghini on the other hand, manage to make ends meeting selling cars like the £202,000 Aventador (which I saw the other day, gorgeous).

The Ford Ka isn't anymore likely to take sales from the Lamborghini than a free wedding tog is to take business from an established fee charging pro.

There will be people who see the Ka and the Aventador as one in the same, a means of getting from A to B, just as there will be some people who see wedding photos as nothing more than a record of the day.

These people shouldn't be the concern of the professional tog (or for that matter the Lamborghini salesman), best off concentrating on the efforts of people who know you do get what you pay for, and ensuring that the service they receive is good enough to generate the best kind of advertising, the glowing word of mouth recommendation.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

robbie_d

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 15:10
gartmore wrote:
The pictures on the web site were, judging by them all being off-axis, were taken in guest mode.

Is that 'PB' mode? As in 'Post-Bar'?
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 15:19
robbie_d wrote:
There will be people who see the Ka and the Aventador as one in the same, a means of getting from A to B, just as there will be some people who see wedding photos as nothing more than a record of the day.

These people shouldn't be the concern of the professional tog (or for that matter the Lamborghini salesman), best off concentrating on the efforts of people who know you do get what you pay for

Exactly right IMO.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 12/09/2011 - 15:19

ChrisA

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 17:37
Is he called Pete?

Edit: we totally need a tongue-in-cheek smiley.

This will have to do instead:

Edit again:

Ah no, Kim. Cute, if twee, ring/heart shot, though, on the Bubbles and Sparkles gallery.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Last Edited by ChrisA on 12/09/2011 - 17:51

robbie_d

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 17:39
Pentaxophile wrote:
robbie_d wrote:
There will be people who see the Ka and the Aventador as one in the same, a means of getting from A to B, just as there will be some people who see wedding photos as nothing more than a record of the day.

These people shouldn't be the concern of the professional tog (or for that matter the Lamborghini salesman), best off concentrating on the efforts of people who know you do get what you pay for

Exactly right IMO.

Amongst the inane ramblings I do have the odd lucid moment.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.

Algernon

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 17:54
Other photographers aren't competition regardless
of what they charge!

The REAL competition for a wedding tog is the cost of the reception, cars
dresses, flowers, cake etc....... Just make sure that you get
your slice
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 12/09/2011 - 17:54

ChrisA

Link Posted 12/09/2011 - 18:05
robbie_d wrote:
gartmore wrote:
The pictures on the web site were, judging by them all being off-axis, were taken in guest mode.

Is that 'PB' mode? As in 'Post-Bar'?

No, he means taken by a wedding guest, ie to one side of the actual tog - so the couple are looking slightly off to one side.

In fairness, some of the pics aren't dreadful.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.