Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Yongnuo rf-602tx Problem

timcx500e
Posted 28/09/2010 - 19:15 Link
have just purchased the above flash trigger have tried it(k200d) with the af200t. once ive taken the picture , the flash then fires on its own !
am i doing something wrong or do you think its faulty (only doesit with the camera on.)
regards,tim
Edited by timcx500e: 28/09/2010 - 19:38
Algernon
Posted 28/09/2010 - 20:17 Link
Are you sure that you have it the right way round on the hotshoe?
The push button and the two sides tapering in plus co-ax socket should be nearest to the lens i.e. away from you as you look through the viewfinder.

You will probably have to set the camera to Manual and a speed of 1/125th sec. (1/90th would be safer) otherwise only part of the frame gets exposed. It's a problem with the RF-602.

I use two of these one to fire the shutter and the other to fire an AF200T which in turn triggers a couple of old Bowens monolights and any other flashes via slave cells.

Excellent piece of kit.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 28/09/2010 - 20:18
timcx500e
Posted 28/09/2010 - 22:15 Link
Algi, have just found out that the set i have is for a nikon d90, d5000 !, is your set pentax specific ? if it is i will have to put it back on fleabay , the quality of the kit is much better than expected .
regards, tim.
Algernon
Posted 29/09/2010 - 07:32 Link
Mines Pentax specific, but some people have used the Nikon one on Pentax and found that the flash works at 1/180th OK. They come with all the leads so it may still work. Will it work as a remote trigger for the camera without the flash.... has to be plugged into the camera jackpug release socket? If it will keep it as a release, it will work up to about 100 yards away... better than infra-red.

You could then get another set for flash, just set the new set to a different channel so you can use both at once.

It may still be worth keeping the original set and just use the flash trigger part as part of a 2 flash set-up. I don't think you'd get much on ebay SH.

Algi
timcx500e
Posted 29/09/2010 - 20:46 Link
Algi, had a look on the internet (strobist.com) and found a solution .the nikon transmitter has a green 'wake up'light ,when the shutter is pressed half way this wakes up the nikon flash .this is what causes problems when used on the pentax, (intermittent firing and second flash after 5 seconds when the wake up signal stops)the solution was to open up the transmitter and cut the wake up wire (thankfully there is a picture of the circuit board and which wire to cut !)took me about 5 mins ,have just had a quick try and everything seems to be working fine.(will test it out properly over the weekend) there are some very clever people out there! just need another 200t and a slave trigger now.thanks for your input,
regards,tim.
Edited by timcx500e: 29/09/2010 - 20:47
timcx500e
Posted 04/10/2010 - 19:48 Link
Comment Image

trigger works fine ,just need to improve my technique .need a brolly plus another flash .this was with 2 af200t's .
Algernon
Posted 05/10/2010 - 13:48 Link
Good to hear that it's working. I notice that shot's at 1/60th, have you tried to see how fast it will go before you start getting a dark unexposed band at the bottom. Mine does 1/125th but isn't reliable, so I think I'll stick to 1/90th.

The dog is OK, but you need to get some light in the eyes and possibly put something like tracing paper in front of the flash to diffuse it (possibly you've done that, but the shadow edges are still too sharp). It's worth trying to get a Pentax AFT 1 which is a clip on tele-adapter for the flash. You don't use it for that though just tape a piece of diffusion material over it with Scotch Magic Tape and it makes a good diffuser.

Algi

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.