Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Yet Another Tripod help request

Harlequin
Posted 23/07/2013 - 15:31 Link
Hi All

I've decided that my cheap £25 Velbon isn't cutting the mustard and want to finally upgrade to something worthwhile & long lasting. I've looked here and on multiple other sites and to be honest the options are overwhelming!

So what do I "think" I'm looking for? Lightweight, ability to get low, flexible?. As for the head, I honestly have no idea what to ask for as I've not been exposed to what the options all mean!

For the right one I would be prepared to pay £350-£400.... but obviously would prefer not too... maybe someone has a second hand for sale

I just don't have anywhere near me to even have a play with things to check them out.

Thanks
John
xbow
Posted 23/07/2013 - 15:51 Link
I've just bought one of these which I'm well pleased with. I got the YTL8354 which I'm using with a ball head.

http://www.giottos-tripods.co.uk/index.php?page=productpage&cat=50ec1218ae834&pr...
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
RayB
Posted 23/07/2013 - 17:15 Link
I've just purchased a Manfrotto 055PROXB from SRS at £129 to use with my existing head. My requirements were;

Able to take the load from a gripped K5 + Big Sigma
Ability to go tall
Not too heavy in weight or price.

No carbon fiber unit I could see would bear the load and having tried a Slik CF with the above I knew I needed a metal one. The 055 also has the ability to send the centre column horizontal which makes some things much easier. As to getting low - it does that, too.
LongTimeLurker
Posted 23/07/2013 - 17:41 Link
Hi John.

I have recently purchased a Redsnapper tripod and ballhead (RS-324 tripod; RSH-12 ball head) and I am very pleased with it.

It meets several of your requirements: ability to get low (very low), and flexible (one long and one short column included, ability to reverse the centre column. Comes with a decent carry bag too.

Price for the tripod and head combination is £149; I used the discount code RED10 at the time of purchase (early June) to get a 10% discount. Not sure if this is still valid though.

Delivery was very prompt (48hrs).

I wouldn't describe it as lightweight. It isn't heavy but it is no featherweight either. I have carried it for a couple of hours or so and it is acceptable to me. I do feel though that it wouldn't "sit" well on a backpack-style camera bag for a day-long trek.

On the plus side, it is very stable and well made. It securely holds my K5 and DA18-135 (currently my heaviest gear).

Others have reported that Redsnapper gear is good value - a quick google will help find other reviews.

Any questions or request for pictures, just ask.
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Edited by LongTimeLurker: 23/07/2013 - 17:50
xbow
Posted 23/07/2013 - 19:09 Link
More details of the Giottos YTL series. They really are very compact for a full size tripod. Carbon fibre is not only light weight but also reckoned to damp vibrations better than Aluminium, not quite as good as wood though ...

http://www.giottos-tripods.co.uk/index.php?page=new
K5, LightRoom 5
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1
simonkit
Posted 23/07/2013 - 22:24 Link
I use a Benro Travel Angel 2...this is the aluminium version but I actually have the CF one bought directly from China via Ebay at an excellent price, anyway it's a great sturdy tripod http://www.parkcameras.com/23904/Benro-Travel-Angel-2-Aluminium---B1-Head.html?r...

Also have a look at these, very highly thought of.. http://www.3leggedthing.com/ website is a bit geeky for my taste but products are excellent

To be fair Redsnapper are also very good for the price

Simon
Edited by simonkit: 23/07/2013 - 22:24
Harlequin
Posted 24/07/2013 - 13:42 Link
thanks all for the replies, most helpful. I've looked at a few reviews on youtube this morning and have to say that if I'm prepared to spend my full budget, I really like the 3LT Brian.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.