Won Vouchers! Shall I 'Take the PLUNGE'?
Posted 24/01/2007 - 10:11
Link
Hi Peter
The K10D in my mind is superb
I have lots of older lenses all of which work with the pentax (some limited functionality if they dont have AF or an A aperture setting but not an issue as its easily adjusted for.
The Firmware (applicable to nearly all DSLR cameras) is easy to install if you follow the instructions properly. It simply updates the camera to install new features and fix bugs. EG the new firmware allows the inbuild flash to act as a master to sync with other flash units. As shipped this doesn't happen (read lots of other threads on this)
The hot shoe will only work fully PTTL with AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ flash guns but will work with others (limited functionality) hot shoe adapters are also available.
I can't comment on the Cannon (never used one) but the K10D is so easy to control it's unbelievable and if you've got all those existing lenses why not be able to continue using them :
There are people out there with far better knowledge of lenses than me but I use (and love) the Tamron AF18-200 XR LD AS Macro. Its very fast, good image quality and no noticable distortion.
The K10D in my mind is superb
I have lots of older lenses all of which work with the pentax (some limited functionality if they dont have AF or an A aperture setting but not an issue as its easily adjusted for.
The Firmware (applicable to nearly all DSLR cameras) is easy to install if you follow the instructions properly. It simply updates the camera to install new features and fix bugs. EG the new firmware allows the inbuild flash to act as a master to sync with other flash units. As shipped this doesn't happen (read lots of other threads on this)
The hot shoe will only work fully PTTL with AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ flash guns but will work with others (limited functionality) hot shoe adapters are also available.
I can't comment on the Cannon (never used one) but the K10D is so easy to control it's unbelievable and if you've got all those existing lenses why not be able to continue using them :
There are people out there with far better knowledge of lenses than me but I use (and love) the Tamron AF18-200 XR LD AS Macro. Its very fast, good image quality and no noticable distortion.
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
Posted 24/01/2007 - 10:12
Link
Peter,
If you go for a 'dedicated' lens, IE: optimised for digital cameras, the 16-45mm is a far superior lens to the 18-55mm kit lens. If, as I suspect, you have some of the older outstanding glassware from Pentax, you could be disappointed with the results of the 18-55mm and K10D combination.
Firmware is to be found in all modern digital cameras and its the internal software which makes the thing work. Occasionally, updates to this internal camera software are released by all manufacturers, not just Pentax. The upgrade process is simple and instructions are always included.
Lastly, if you do take the plunge, you'll have to modify your signature on this forum
My advice:- Go for the K10D + 16-45mm
Regards,
If you go for a 'dedicated' lens, IE: optimised for digital cameras, the 16-45mm is a far superior lens to the 18-55mm kit lens. If, as I suspect, you have some of the older outstanding glassware from Pentax, you could be disappointed with the results of the 18-55mm and K10D combination.
Firmware is to be found in all modern digital cameras and its the internal software which makes the thing work. Occasionally, updates to this internal camera software are released by all manufacturers, not just Pentax. The upgrade process is simple and instructions are always included.
Lastly, if you do take the plunge, you'll have to modify your signature on this forum
My advice:- Go for the K10D + 16-45mm
Regards,
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 24/01/2007 - 10:20
Link
Hi Peter,
the kit lens (18-55) is a good lens, especially if stopped down a touch, (Iuse mine for about 80% of shots) and from what I've seen is almost given away as a free gift with the body, compared to the retail price. I haven't used the 16-45, but it's seems the general concensus here that it is the superior of the two.
Yes you'll need an adaptor (I think the FG or F, but someone else can confirm).
Canon.. really Peter..
Firmware is nothing to worry about. All it is, is a little chunk of software (a small computer program, if that's easier) that runs the hardware inside the camera. If you bought the K10 now, with the new firmware release out, I'm sure the shop would load it for you if you asked nicely, but even if not, it's just a case of loading it onto the memory card from your computer, and then loading onto the camera. Very easy, and any of us would talk you through it step by step..
Hope that helps..
Cheers
Liam
the kit lens (18-55) is a good lens, especially if stopped down a touch, (Iuse mine for about 80% of shots) and from what I've seen is almost given away as a free gift with the body, compared to the retail price. I haven't used the 16-45, but it's seems the general concensus here that it is the superior of the two.
Yes you'll need an adaptor (I think the FG or F, but someone else can confirm).
Canon.. really Peter..
Firmware is nothing to worry about. All it is, is a little chunk of software (a small computer program, if that's easier) that runs the hardware inside the camera. If you bought the K10 now, with the new firmware release out, I'm sure the shop would load it for you if you asked nicely, but even if not, it's just a case of loading it onto the memory card from your computer, and then loading onto the camera. Very easy, and any of us would talk you through it step by step..
Hope that helps..
Cheers
Liam
Liam
"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James
Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James
Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Posted 24/01/2007 - 10:23
Link
Well that's a demonstration of my typing speed.. 10 minutes + for the last post..
Liam
"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James
Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James
Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Posted 24/01/2007 - 10:36
Link
Quote:
I won some Jessops vouchers in two comps. value £225 total; looking to buy the K10D: shall I get Body only and use all my lovely screw and K bayonet lenses or shall I get a dedicated lens; if so which one to start out? Is the 'kit' lens OK or I read the 16-45mm f4 is sharper.
Get whatever you need, bearing in mind that if your widest lens currently is the 24mm, it will have the field of view of a 35mm on the K10D.I won some Jessops vouchers in two comps. value £225 total; looking to buy the K10D: shall I get Body only and use all my lovely screw and K bayonet lenses or shall I get a dedicated lens; if so which one to start out? Is the 'kit' lens OK or I read the 16-45mm f4 is sharper.
So, if you like to shoot wide, get a wide lens. All your existing lenses will work, but if they are pre-A lenses, you will have to work in manual mode only. Something tells me that won't upset you greatly.
Quote:
Also, I read that there is no standard flash socket for the K10D - how do I plug in my Bowens studio flash, with an adapter on the 'hot-shoe'?
I would strongly suggest getting a hot-shoe-mounted infra-red trigger. Gets rid of all the wires.Also, I read that there is no standard flash socket for the K10D - how do I plug in my Bowens studio flash, with an adapter on the 'hot-shoe'?
Quote:
The Yellow Advertiser Chief Photographer was here yesterday and although the newspaper GAVE him a Nikon D2H to use he said I should seriously think about going CANON if I take the plunge at last !
He's afraid of the competition if you get a K10D. He'd prefer you to spend more money for less quality.The Yellow Advertiser Chief Photographer was here yesterday and although the newspaper GAVE him a Nikon D2H to use he said I should seriously think about going CANON if I take the plunge at last !
This is going to be a traumatic time for you. Stick to familiar equipment, and keep your faithful glass.
Quote:
Also, I am scared about reading on this Forum about 'Firmware'-never heard of it ! Don't know what it does !
I'ts just the camera's internal computer program. The *ist D has been around for three years, and has had either one or two updates in that time. They take less than two minutes to load.Also, I am scared about reading on this Forum about 'Firmware'-never heard of it ! Don't know what it does !
Quote:
Or should I just buy some more outdated FILM with my winnnings? !!!!!
Bite the bullet, Peter. The K10D is the best camera on the market, and there's no better time to make the change.Or should I just buy some more outdated FILM with my winnnings? !!!!!
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 24/01/2007 - 13:10
Link
Hi Pete
Just to back up what everyone has said the K10D is a super bit of kit capable of extremely high quality pics. Its a serious enthusiast/Pro camera. You simply have to read all the latest reviews from the experts which says it all.
Bare in mind many of these magazines and website reviewing the K10D can be a bit biased towards Canon and Nikon because of the name. Even so they are all stuggling to knock and find faults with the Pentax K10d and all seem to be giving great reviews in the end.
I had a nikon D80 which was a super camera but exchanged it for the K10D and so glad i did. This camera as everthing one can think of including antishake and dust removal. This is ideal for you who has many lenses. Most important the K10D produces excellent photos.
I brought the kit lense 18-55 and am very pleased with the results no doubt you folks who have the 16-45 are saying its even better quality WOW if the results are even better than the lense i have they must be superb so i think ill look to buy one myself.
Firmware is so easy to upgrade i did it myself yesterday just read the threads.
Pete
Just to back up what everyone has said the K10D is a super bit of kit capable of extremely high quality pics. Its a serious enthusiast/Pro camera. You simply have to read all the latest reviews from the experts which says it all.
Bare in mind many of these magazines and website reviewing the K10D can be a bit biased towards Canon and Nikon because of the name. Even so they are all stuggling to knock and find faults with the Pentax K10d and all seem to be giving great reviews in the end.
I had a nikon D80 which was a super camera but exchanged it for the K10D and so glad i did. This camera as everthing one can think of including antishake and dust removal. This is ideal for you who has many lenses. Most important the K10D produces excellent photos.
I brought the kit lense 18-55 and am very pleased with the results no doubt you folks who have the 16-45 are saying its even better quality WOW if the results are even better than the lense i have they must be superb so i think ill look to buy one myself.
Firmware is so easy to upgrade i did it myself yesterday just read the threads.
Pete
Posted 24/01/2007 - 13:17
Link
PS go for the K10D
Posted 24/01/2007 - 13:49
Link
I thought there'd been an earthquake this morning - definitely heard and felt a rumble, and several aftershocks... I was sure I was near the epicentre.
Turns out it was Peter contemplating a digital SLR!
Go for it Peter, we're all here to help you, and (gulp) you know where I live! I'd be happy to show you the ropes.
I can't believe the YA guy told you to go Canon!?! I've spoken to plenty of Canon users who'd happily jump ship if they wouldn't have to re-equip with lenses, so don't think they offer anything Pentax doesn't, and the K10D offers plenty that nothing from Canon does. Do you like Pentax lenses?
Dan
Turns out it was Peter contemplating a digital SLR!
Go for it Peter, we're all here to help you, and (gulp) you know where I live! I'd be happy to show you the ropes.
I can't believe the YA guy told you to go Canon!?! I've spoken to plenty of Canon users who'd happily jump ship if they wouldn't have to re-equip with lenses, so don't think they offer anything Pentax doesn't, and the K10D offers plenty that nothing from Canon does. Do you like Pentax lenses?
Dan
Posted 24/01/2007 - 15:13
Link
Not sure whether Jessops will alow you to buy just the body - the only thing they were offering when I looked in was the K10D with 18-55 kit lens
Andy
Andy
Posted 24/01/2007 - 15:57
Link
For what it costs, I would always happily buy the kit lens. You can get the money back, just, on eBay....so nothing is lost!
Best regards, John
Posted 24/01/2007 - 16:10
Link
Getting all EXCITED now ! Thanks all for your words of wisdom - I never really thought to change from Pentax for my main system or I could never call myself 'Pentax Pete' again. I haven't GOT the £200 yet until next Thursday award presentations in Chelmsford. Daniel: yes, the epicentre WAS here in The Vale, BRENTWOOD !
Been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED?
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Posted 24/01/2007 - 17:50
Link
So Peter, what was the competition? Will I be seeing your angelic features in the paper? Can't wait!
Anyway, your signature has to change:
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED but unfortunately NOT DIGITISED YET!!!
All the best,
Dan
Anyway, your signature has to change:
been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED but unfortunately NOT DIGITISED YET!!!
All the best,
Dan
Posted 25/01/2007 - 10:19
Link
Daniel: The first win was for the Thames Chase/ Forestry Commission Comp. I got 1st ,2nd and 3rd in the 'Camera Clubs' section ( only because only ONE other person entered !) and the Forest Ranger said he was not going to award me with all the prizes ( 1st was a Champagne Flight for four on the London Eye) so he said I could have the 3rd prize of £25 Jessops Vouchers and he would also give £25 vouchers to the other entrant ! The £200 was on the Essex 'Safety Camera Partnership' comp. I got 2nd award;someone from Colchester got the £500 vouchers 1st award. My pic was a print of a death crash site with a car speeding past and some flowers laid out at the scene. The story was that a bloke was speeding along to see what had happened to his brother who had been arrested for GBH by Brentwood Police, and the brother had been drinking ! It happened around 0130 hrs.
Been a member of Pentax Club since the Ron Spillman era! Got COMPUTERISED at last - DIGITISED?
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


930 posts
21 years
Brentwood Essex (UK)
'Confused' of Brentwood!
Taken the PLUNGE - BUT FILM STILL RULES !!!