Wireless Radio Flash Trigger

NaimKhan

Link Posted 11/01/2012 - 21:21
Evening all.
Please may I have some advice about wireless radio flash triggers? I have a K5 and Metz AF58. Would I need a wireless specifically for the Metz or would any trigger be OK?
Thanks in advance.
PPG

dougf8

Link Posted 11/01/2012 - 21:26
It should work in wireless mode, do you have the Metz manual?

If not I can recommend the Seculine TwinLink. Not cheap though.
Lurking is shirking.!

NaimKhan

Link Posted 11/01/2012 - 21:27
Thanks Dougf8.
So you think this one would be OK?
PPG

dougf8

Link Posted 11/01/2012 - 21:31
There are probably some other threads with specific kit recommendations. Some have mentioned "cactus". I have the Seculine and it works over a fair distance.

If its a few metres the built in wireless functions work(should) with the K-5 and Metz 58. My K-7 etc do wireless with my Sigma EF500 super.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 11/01/2012 - 21:32

NaimKhan

Link Posted 11/01/2012 - 21:37
dougf8 wrote:
There are probably some other threads with specific kit recommendations. Some have mentioned "cactus". I have the Seculine and it works over a fair distance.

If its a few metres the built in wireless functions work(should) with the K-5 and Metz 58. My K-7 etc do wireless with my Sigma EF500 super.

The built wireless doesn't seem to be that reliable and you need to have the sensor on the side of the flash pointing in the general direction of the camera so it can receive the trigger flash from the built in flash. Secondly with the one that I have shown the link, you can have more than one flash units triggering at the same time.
PPG

SteveT

Link Posted 11/01/2012 - 21:57
I have this one which works fine.
K20d
DA 12-24 | DA* 16-50 | DA* 50-135 | Sigma 100-300 F4
Lightroom 2, CS3
My FlickR

NaimKhan

Link Posted 11/01/2012 - 22:03
SteveT wrote:
I have this one which works fine.

Thanks Steve. Do you have the Metz flash?
PPG

dougf8

Link Posted 11/01/2012 - 22:16
From using the built in wireless I understand it can control more than 1 flash at a time, although they all need to work the same way, the Sigma has settings for slave flashes and different channels too. I use it this way when I need just a single flash. The advantage is the camera turns off the flash when enough light has hit the sensor ( I think). So you can use aperture mode or Programme modes etc.

Anything that uses the simple wireless you will be using Manual mode and setting the power of each flash.

I use the Seculine and then two optical triggers on 2 smaller flashes. The camera is set to Manual mode.
Lurking is shirking.!

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 12/01/2012 - 00:03
If you can afford the Twinlinks, they're very good by all accounts...

I use Cactus V4's (1 transmitter, 2 recievers) and have no problems with them... The newer V5's (these are 'transcievers') are apparently even better!

A lot of folk also use RF602's (Yongnuo) and say they're great... There have been issues for pentax shooters regarding the RF603's and debate weather to use Nikon or Canon variants. (Not an issue with the Cactus units, as only one type)

My first set of triggers were Yongnuo YN-04II's... They were ok indoors but not great outside... My girlfriend now uses them on her HS10 (fuji) but they're misfiring a fair bit for her...

When I can afford an upgrade it'll be 2 duo-packs of the V5 at which point the GF can have the V4's
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Fletcher8

Link Posted 12/01/2012 - 09:09
Hi Naim

I own a couple of Metz Flash Guns, and I mainly use them for off camera work. There are lots of radio flash triggers available ranging from 30 to 400 depending on your needs and requirements. As I mainly use flash in manual mode, I don't need the wireless TTL feature. in fact, I don't think their is a Pentax TTL wireless trigger system currently available for Pentax. From my experience the Trigmaster Plus triggers are about as good as you can get for the price 35 per unit, they act as transmitters and receivers and they can also trigger your camera shutter wirelessly. Phottix have a vey good trigger called the Atlas very similar to the Trigmaster but they cost about 80 per unit and from reviews are as good as Pocket Wizards.

For full details take a look at the links below

http://www.phottix.com/en/phottix-atlas-professional-wireless-flash-trigger.html
www.aputure.com/en/product/trigmaster_plus_24G.php

If you are interested in off camera flash, the Strobist website is a really good place to get information.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/
Fletcher8.

NaimKhan

Link Posted 12/01/2012 - 09:27
Thanks Dougf*, Dave and Fletcher8.
That was very helpful. I didn't realise that I will lose PTTL capability by using the wireless triggers. I am, as yet, not good enough to confidently use manual flashes so I will have to rethink the whole thing!
If anyone knows a good website that can teach me how to use flash in manual mode, I would be appreciative if you can direct me there.
Thanks.
PPG

Fletcher8

Link Posted 12/01/2012 - 09:48
Naim

Don't let manual flash scare you, it is not as difficult as you may first think. Like anything in photography you have to practice and learn from your mistakes. This is where i started out and I am still learning.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

It cost's nothing and provides everything you need to get started.

Just a thought! have you thought about buying a TTL extension chord? this would enable you to take the flash off camera and obtain better images whilst maintaining all PTTL features.
Fletcher8.
Last Edited by Fletcher8 on 12/01/2012 - 09:52

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 12/01/2012 - 10:02
Agreed...

Simplified - - -It's really just a case of either: - opening-up (to brighten), closing-down (to darken) apertures
OR - turning the flash up or down in power
OR - moving the flash about
OR - a combination of the above
AND keeping you shutter-speed at or below 1/180 (the slower the shutter the more ambient light you allow into the exposure)

Get a Teddy-bear (teddy's don't get bored) and practice for an hour or so and you'll soon pick it up...

Strobist blog is great... I also like Zack Arias's 'OneLight' if you can download a copy (although I obviously don't condone piracy)
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Frogherder

Link Posted 12/01/2012 - 15:21
I have two of the Amazon devices (PT04) and whilst they work fine (when they are working) they are VERY sensitive to drop off in the receiver battery voltage, and work best with zinc/carbon cells (NiCad/NiMh seem to drop the voltages quickly and ause more trouble).

I've used them with a variety of flash guns - Pentax AF240Z; AF260SA; Sunpak DC3; Jessops 220ABZ. The latter two (old clockwork camera models) have very high voltages on the centre contact. I can't see why they wouldn't work with other guns

The 2 Pentax guns are older guns, so there is no feedback (PPT?) etc

Bernard

Tyr

Link Posted 12/01/2012 - 20:36
Wireless radio triggers are well worth the investment as is learning to do manual lighting.

I really like the Cactus V5 ( www.gadgetinfinity.com ) as they use standard batteries, have an insane range and last a long time.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.