Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Wireless Flash help please

Posted 19/07/2011 - 09:40 Link
HI
I Have the Metz 58 AF-2 and the K-5 and I am trying to work out how to fire the flash off camera, eg wireless. I'm sure I've done it before but for the life of me I could not get it to do it last night. Can someone please keep me a simple step by step guide to make sure I've set it up correctly. This is what I did last night:

1. in camera menu set the onboard flash to setting 2 which i think makes it the controller
2. on the flash went into remote mode and set it to slave mode, the red light then blinks
3. have the pop up flash up and take shot, pop up flash fires but Metz does not.

Where am I going wrong, is there other settings I've missed???
PPGlink
Pentax K-5 with 18-50mm & 50-200mm Kit Lenses, Pentax 55mm f1.4 SMC DA* SDM Lens, Pentax DA 12-24mm , Pentax DA 35mm macro, Pentax SMC FA 77mm Limited, Pentax SMC FA 43mm Ltd, Pentax SMC F 50mm, Sigma 24-70mm, Metz 58 af-2
Mannesty
Posted 19/07/2011 - 09:51 Link
I don't know the Metz flash, but the Pentax flashes have 2 slave modes, dumb and wireless. If you have it set to dumb (trigger from another dumb flash), the Metz flash will trigger on the cameras pre-flash.

Quote:
1. in camera menu set the onboard flash to setting 2 which i think makes it the controller

You also have to set the K5 to wireless flash in the flash menu, bottom button of the 4 way controller.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 19/07/2011 - 09:54
MattMatic
Posted 19/07/2011 - 09:54 Link
There are 4 wireless channels (so four people can use wireless at the same time). Perhaps your camera and flash are running on different channels?

You are mistaken on point (1). You set the flash mode to wireless ("W"), and there is a custom menu that decides whether the popup contributes to the exposure or not - Custom #21 - set to "2" to be a controller only.

However, you'll still need to get the camera & flash on the same channel. Temporarily put the flash on the body and let them communicate the channel number - or alternatively try each of the four channels on the flash

HTH!
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 19/07/2011 - 09:57 Link
Ah, I had forgotten about the flash menu on the controller and setting that to wireless. Can't believe I did not remember that!!
PPGlink
Pentax K-5 with 18-50mm & 50-200mm Kit Lenses, Pentax 55mm f1.4 SMC DA* SDM Lens, Pentax DA 12-24mm , Pentax DA 35mm macro, Pentax SMC FA 77mm Limited, Pentax SMC FA 43mm Ltd, Pentax SMC F 50mm, Sigma 24-70mm, Metz 58 af-2

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.