Windows picture and fax viewer

iangilmour

Link Posted 20/08/2012 - 16:05
Can anybody help me solve this problem? I use Photoshop CS3 to edit my pics and they seem to look fine when I've finished them, but when I open them in Windows picture and fax viewer to view them on the screen, they always appear slightly over exposed. If I want to show them to my family and friends as a slide show, then I need to revisit Photoshop and darken them in levels or curves. Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks

Ian

johnriley

Link Posted 20/08/2012 - 16:18
I presume that Windows is wanting to see sRGB files, so perhaps you are shooting in AdobeRGB? If that's the case, your images may well always look too light.
Best regards, John

steven9761

Link Posted 20/08/2012 - 16:44
Ian - you may want to look at Windows Live Photo Gallery (part of the Windows Live Essentials suite of tools). I think P & F viewer only looks at the basic picture file-types, and like John suggests, WP&F Viewer takes over by reading the pre-Photoshopped files, disregarding your adjustments. I think WLPG works differently to WP&G Viewer in this respect.

iangilmour

Link Posted 23/08/2012 - 13:09
johnriley wrote:
I presume that Windows is wanting to see sRGB files, so perhaps you are shooting in AdobeRGB? If that's the case, your images may well always look too light.

Sorry for the delay in responding John.
I am shooting in sRGB and my colour space in PS is sRGB. I will try what Steven suggests and download WLPG.
Thanks
Ian

Smeggypants

Link Posted 23/08/2012 - 17:24
If pics are being shown differently in different programs then you need to make sure they are all using the same colour profile.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=setting+windows+colour+profiles
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

woodworm

Link Posted 23/08/2012 - 17:39
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer ignores profiles anyway so won't help, though it may explain the differences.

I'm referring to Win XP - not sure about Vista / 7 / 8
Last Edited by woodworm on 23/08/2012 - 17:39

iangilmour

Link Posted 23/08/2012 - 19:58
Smeggypants wrote:
If pics are being shown differently in different programs then you need to make sure they are all using the same colour profile.

Thanks. I've just done this and now I'll see if it makes a difference. I will let you know if it works.
Ian

iangilmour

Link Posted 24/08/2012 - 09:41
iangilmour wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:

Thanks. I've just done this and now I'll see if it makes a difference. I will let you know if it works.
Ian

Yep! It works! Colours are identical now. Thanks Smeggy!!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.