Wigwell Aqueduct / Annoying Path Closure
Posted 27/09/2010 - 21:16
Link
Some friends of mine in Bishop's Stortford recently encountered a similar situation, but after a few letters back and forth to the council they managed to get it declared a right of way. I'm hazy on the precise details, but it involved gathering evidence that the footpath had been in use by the general public for a number of years (I think it was 12). The evidence was simply letters written by people stating that they have used the path since blahblah date. I'd assume your local council would be happy to guide you through the process.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 27/09/2010 - 21:20
Link
Pentaxophile, you need to check with your local council (Worcester District Council?). Almost all local authorities have a footpaths officer who is required to walk every footpath in their area and to check for obstructions. The officer should know whether or not it is a right of way, or if a right has been established by usage over a period of time.
I liked the video, BTW, and the seat looks very happy tucked away next to the river.
Any grayling left?
I liked the video, BTW, and the seat looks very happy tucked away next to the river.
Any grayling left?
Posted 27/09/2010 - 21:36
Link
What a lovely spot to have to remember your father.
I would find out which local council is responsible for the area and write to them about it. Maybe get in touch with some walkers/ramblers websites too to suggest they protest as well. A letter to the local rag may help.
I would find out which local council is responsible for the area and write to them about it. Maybe get in touch with some walkers/ramblers websites too to suggest they protest as well. A letter to the local rag may help.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6794 posts
17 years
Nottingham
While down there I took the shots below (the memorial seat is seen in shot 1, although it's not a great picture!
I also took a little video using the Sigma 10-20 and Tamron 90mm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfT1Hdqe81g
1.
2.
3.
My little walk was spoiled somewhat by discovering that a path which I have walked since my childhood has been blocked by the adjacent land owner
The path (between Lea Bridge and Cromford Canal) follows the course of an 'extinct' arm of the canal known as the Nightingale Arm, and is a sort of cobbled trackway leading to the main road opposite John Smedley's factories.
Unfortunately there is no 'green dotted line' on the OS maps indicating a right of way, but the route has certainly been used since the canal's existence, and is (was?) a very popular path to the canal. There are even signs along it (just behind the obstruction) which the council had put up, with instructions for walkers.
The path has been closed off with a locked automatic gate, liberally decorated with spikes and 'Warning! CCTV!' notices. Then a 100yard section is securely fenced either side.
If anyone has had a similar experience, I'd be interested to know whether you managed to get the path re-opened and recognised as a public right of way. It is certainly included in many walking books and even some walk descriptions I could find online.
4.
5. The far end of the fenced section. Note the sign, presumably put up by the council, obviously predating the landowner's decision to block the footpath!
6. Standing in the gateway in shot 5, looking back to the locked gate in shot 4.
Naturally, I will certainly not be dissuaded from walking down there, CCTV or not!
Actually, almost as distressing as the path closure is the decision they have taken to plant bloody Leylandii along the pathside - totally out of character with the lovely deciduous woodland all around. Philistines.