wide-angle lens

abesad

Link Posted 04/10/2010 - 10:18
What is a reasonaly price and make wide-angle lens for a k20d camera could I get please? Thanks guys

regards susan

johnriley

Link Posted 04/10/2010 - 10:25
The starting point could be the lenses that you have now. If we know what these are, then the next step towards wider angles may be easier to suggest.

For example, if you are using the 18-55mm, then the 12-24mm Pentax lens would be an obvious choice, although hardly low priced.

Other manufacturers offer similar wide angle zooms at lower prices.

Helpful

abesad

Link Posted 04/10/2010 - 10:28
johnriley wrote:
The starting point could be the lenses that you have now. If we know what these are, then the next step towards wider angles may be easier to suggest.

For example, if you are using the 18-55mm, then the 12-24mm Pentax lens would be an obvious choice, although hardly low priced.

Other manufacturers offer similar wide angle zooms at lower prices.

I don't have the 12-24mm lens. Which makes will fit on a k20d, I am looking for an all round lens to take to california instead of taking to many lens. Thanks john

womble

Link Posted 04/10/2010 - 10:48
Any 3rd party make (e.g., Sigma, Tamron, etc.) that offer a particular lens in PK mount, plus (or course) any Pentax lens, and any lens designed to fit the GX10/GX20 usually sold as Schneider-Kreuznach.

Sounds like you are after a one-stop "super-zoom" such as the DA 18-250mm. I haven't invested in that type of lens but others here will be able to help.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

abesad

Link Posted 04/10/2010 - 10:54
womble wrote:
Any 3rd party make (e.g., Sigma, Tamron, etc.) that offer a particular lens in PK mount, plus (or course) any Pentax lens, and any lens designed to fit the GX10/GX20 usually sold as Schneider-Kreuznach.

Sounds like you are after a one-stop "super-zoom" such as the DA 18-250mm. I haven't invested in that type of lens but others here will be able to help.

K.

Thanks Kris

johnriley

Link Posted 04/10/2010 - 11:07
The SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm is an excellent lens for travel. It's compact and produces nice sharp images. It focuses usefully close as well.

It can sometimes be found new, but more usually second hand. There is a Tamron 18-250mm which is essentially the same lens, but without the Pentax livery and presumably with different coatings.

Sue uses one of these and she produces some staggeringly good images with it. Some say better than mine, but I wouldn't presume to comment on that...
Best regards, John

Helpful

abesad

Link Posted 04/10/2010 - 11:09
[quote:3496ace15f="johnriley"]The SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm is an excellent lens for travel. It's compact and produces nice sharp images. It focuses usefully close as well.

It can sometimes be found new, but more usually second hand. There is a Tamron 18-250mm which is essentially the same lens, but without the Pentax livery and presumably with different coatings.

Sue uses one of these and she produces some staggeringly good images with it. Some say better than mine, but I wouldn't presume to comment on that...[/quoT

Thanks john, I will have a look

aliengrove

Link Posted 04/10/2010 - 11:29
I have recently bought a Sigma 18-250 which, so far, I am more than happy with. The Sigma 18-200 got some poor reviews, but the 18-250 is a vast improvement. It is a bit bulkier and heavier than the Pentax/Tamron versions, but more solidly built. It also has HSM, which I think is a serious advantage on this type of lens.

I also am finding that the stabilisation in the lens works better at longer focal lengths than the camera's SR (shake reduction) function: one advantage of the stabilisation (OIS)in the lens is that you get a more stationary image in the viewfinder at long focal lengths, as the image is stabilsed in the lens and not at the sensor. If you do get a Sigma, just remember to turn the camera's SR off if you are using OIS, as they don't work well together, as I have found with a few very blurred shots!
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

Helpful

abesad

Link Posted 04/10/2010 - 12:13
aliengrove wrote:
I have recently bought a Sigma 18-250 which, so far, I am more than happy with. The Sigma 18-200 got some poor reviews, but the 18-250 is a vast improvement. It is a bit bulkier and heavier than the Pentax/Tamron versions, but more solidly built. It also has HSM, which I think is a serious advantage on this type of lens.

I also am finding that the stabilisation in the lens works better at longer focal lengths than the camera's SR (shake reduction) function: one advantage of the stabilisation (OIS)in the lens is that you get a more stationary image in the viewfinder at long focal lengths, as the image is stabilsed in the lens and not at the sensor. If you do get a Sigma, just remember to turn the camera's SR off if you are using OIS, as they don't work well together, as I have found with a few very blurred shots!

Thank you

Anvh

Link Posted 04/10/2010 - 18:35
If you don't need to longer range though, take a look at the 17-70 offered by Pentax and Sigma. The Pentax is a constant f/4 which is quite handy and at 70mm it's very nice to take portrait with for example.
This will replace the 18-55 kit lens you probably have now and add very little on the wide side though.
Maybe the DA 16-45 f/4 might be more at what you're looking for but it has less range though than the 17-70 but is slightly wider.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.