Why do you stay with pentax?

ruach

Link Posted 09/08/2011 - 22:50
Hi.
I bought k-5 a couple of months ago. I chose pentax because I heard that they had cheaper and good lenses than other brands. Now I have 18-55 wr, A 50mm 1.4 and A 28mm 2.8 lenses with K-5. When I check most of pentax af lenses, the prices of them do not look cheaper than good lenses of other brands. The choice of lens is limited and the prices are not cheaper, then why do you stick to pentax? To be honest, I feel bit disappointed, but it does not mean I am not happy with my k-5. I am slightly annoyed with the prices of pentax lenses and feel disappointed in my choice.
Maybe I am bit too critical tonight. What makes you stick to pentax?
Thanks for reading and responding.

stub

Link Posted 09/08/2011 - 22:59
I cant see how you are disappointed. Surely you did some lens reasearch before paying approx 1000 for a camera. You have first class equipment, that will compare against any other manufacturer. At this forum you have access to a Pentax community.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

Charlotte

Link Posted 09/08/2011 - 23:00
The ability to use old SLR pentax fit lenses. If it wasn't for this I wouldn't be able to afford to take photographs. I know they'll never be as good or as sharp as the modern lenses but I take photos for myself so the fact I haven't spent hundreds or thousands of pounds on a lens doesn't really bother me as I'll never be good enough to be able to make any money out of my photography anyway - I do it for the enjoyment and buzz.

Besides I think I've fallen in love with my k-r.

Kind regards

Charlotte
Pentax Photo Gallery
Photography blog
Last Edited by Charlotte on 09/08/2011 - 23:00

davidstorm

Link Posted 09/08/2011 - 23:15
Because I like Pentax and as Charlotte says the ability to use older Pentax K lenses. I slightly disagree with Charlotte in that some of the older lenses are every bit as good and sharp as the newer ones (maybe a little less contrasty, but this can be fixed afterwards). Have a look on ebay and see what absolutely fantastic lenses you can buy for very little money, and still benefit from all the automatic functions on your K-5, apart from autofocus.

It will take a great deal to shift me away from Pentax, I get great results from my kit for a modest outlay and do not think I could do better with any other brand.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

smc

Link Posted 09/08/2011 - 23:20
Pound for pound, Pentax offer the best bodies in their model class and some of the lenses, although not cheap, are the envy of other brands. Finally, as the old slogan goes, just hold a Pentax - the bodies really are designed by humans for humans.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 09/08/2011 - 23:37
As Charlotte and David say, the choice of excellent old lenses offsets the high price / lack of availability of new lenses.

However there are plenty of good bargains in Pentax's line up. The DA35 f2.4, DA40 Ltd (does Canikon even have anything like the Ltds?) and DA55-300, for example.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Steep

Link Posted 09/08/2011 - 23:45
I've recently given up Canon to come back to Pentax, doing my research before ordering a telephoto lens (DA55-300), the image quality in the shots I found on the net was superb and from a lens that cost half the price of some of my old Canon lenses.

I would like to see a side by side impartial test of similar lenses in similar spec cameras and am willing to bet a Pentax combo would come at or near the top.

Barbarosa

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 00:13
only brand where You can buy small body with pro features and truly professional lens that is developed for that small body is pentax.
Nikon have d300 and one pro grade lens 17-55 for it, also large and heavy.
Canon have 7D and that is nothing smaller than 5D.
Now when Oly stop development of pro grade slrs, Pentax is only choice if You want to travel light without compromise of IQ and to have WR gear durable enough for Arctic or Sahara.
Also cheeper WR gear can't be find at other makers, k-5 and 18-55 wr are much cheaper than any other offer what is declared to be WR. Before couple days I benefit from pentax WR during a try to make shots of waterfall after heavy rains, my friends with canonikon just have to stay cameraas in bags but my K-5 18-55 wr combo worked flawless under milions of tiny drops of water.
Also for street shooting in my opinion pentax K-5 is far better than any Leica, with SLR bright viewfinder and silent shutter, and arsenal of small primes.
there are more reasons I just brought here some of them what cant be found in technical specifications rather in real life conditions.

p.s. sorry for pour English

Mannesty

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 00:26
I stay with Pentax because I have a huge investment in lenses and to change, would mean divorce.

If I needed capabilities that Pentax could not offer, and I could justify it to my war department, I would buy whatever brand offered it. I'd still keep my Pentax gear though.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Smeggypants

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 00:39
I used Pentax in the 80s, was happy with them and when I got into digital photography in 2009, it was a natural choice.

I started by using lenses I owned back in the 80s. The bAckwards compatibility as attractive, btu then started collecting some mdoern Pentax and Sigma lenses, and some older Pentax models from way back I missed out on the first time.

I've never felt that there is a limited range of Lenses. YOu can go Sigma ( maybe Tamron ) if you want longer and faster then the Pentax range offers

My shooting buddy uses Canon. he says if he upgraded he would go to Nikon or Pentax, and not necessarily in that order. He's still a bit stuck on the FF obsession, but isslowly coming round to admitting that the quality of APS-C is fine, and is highly impressed with my K-5s.

If I had to change brands I would go Nikon, and NEVER Canon, but I've no intention, need or desire of doing so.

Pentax need to sort out the AF IMO and the QC of the early K-5s was dreadful, but I trust they've learned a lesson in both counts there.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Smeggypants

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 00:43
davidstorm wrote:

It will take a great deal to shift me away from Pentax, I get great results from my kit for a modest outlay and do not think I could do better with any other brand.

Regards
David

Exactly.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

K10D

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 00:46
Steep wrote:
I've recently given up Canon to come back to Pentax, doing my research before ordering a telephoto lens (DA55-300), the image quality in the shots I found on the net was superb and from a lens that cost half the price of some of my old Canon lenses.

The nearest Canon lens is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS Lens - 189.00 although 50mm shorter than the Pentax 55-300 at 275 it does have IS which isnt bad. Maybe you did not have that particular Canon model or were you just comparing your most expensive Canon lens.

Steep wrote:
I would like to see a side by side impartial test of similar lenses in similar spec cameras and am willing to bet a Pentax combo would come at or near the top.

Why would it not be equal to or better than similar spec equipment?

By using other brands as well as Pentax, does that mean to some that I have not stayed with Pentax? (no gold star for me then).

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link
Last Edited by K10D on 10/08/2011 - 00:48

Algernon

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 07:30
Canon have made a big mistake not having AF Micro-adjustment
on their cheaper cameras. This includes the 60D which in other
respects is a K-5 competitor.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/930979
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Frogfish

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 07:57
If i were to use another brand then it would be Nikon (just waiting for the slew of D700s to hit the market after the D800 comes out) However the only reason is i want a FF camera and 3 or 4 high quality lenses is enough. Pentax would remain as my main brand. The big benefit of Canon is that virtually any lens you want can be adapted to fit them because of the short registration distance (look out for the mirror on the 5D though), whereas with Nikon virtually no other lenses (in comparison to Canon / Pentax) from other brands can be made to fit.

However Pentax have so many pluses and so few negatives, WR and in-camera IS being just two (but important features) but you can add to that the extremely high DR, actually usable high ISO, ergonomics and solidity of the cameras, plus a huge back catalogue of lenses, and for the money there is nothing that comes near IMHO.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0

japers45

Link Posted 10/08/2011 - 09:28
I wonder what style of photography you are going to embark on that is not catered for by the current Pentax line-up?

I think cameras and lenses are a bit like cars these days- they are all well made and very much fit for purpose.

Whether you have a K5 (I do), 60D (plastic, not weather sealed- not an option) or D7000 (I held one and didnt like it)or even the equivalent Sony (no comment) the capabilities of camera and lens outstrip my ability.

Pentax ltd lenses are enough for some to commit to the brand, Other brands offer nothing comparable and the 40mm is less than 300.

35mm 2.4 & 55-300mm are both very good value, light and great IQ.

The kit lenses are good and weather sealed - much better than Canikon (as for Sony- have you SEEN the plastics they use even on lenses 300+- looks like they came out of a Christmas cracker)

I think you dropped a bit of a clanger not doing your own research and relying on "hearing" that Pentax is this or that.

Some Pentax gear seems pricey (see the thread on the Pentax Q for some lively debate!) but I am sure Canikon users have similar grumbles.

Decide what you need, do your research and then if you want a bargain be patient. There are plenty of used mint or near mint lenses available on this forum.

Of course if your K5 is surplus to requirements I am sure there is a buyer in the wings
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.