Why do we need more AF points?

davidwozhere

Link Posted 04/10/2019 - 01:04
On the odd occasion I've found to use anything other than the center spot, by the time I've faffed about trying to get it to change or work or hit the right buttons, the action has long disappeared. I accept that is down to me and lack of practice, but I can't see the point. Similarly, I've never been able to get my K3ii to work with a flu card and neither will the K1 work with Image Sync installed on my mobile. I therefore consider them all to be useless gimmicks. As far being useful cameras, both the K3ii and the K1 are wonderful machines that I enjoy using - but you can keep all the knick knacks, thank you.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

richandfleur

Link Posted 04/10/2019 - 01:48
davidwozhere wrote:
On the odd occasion I've found to use anything other than the center spot, by the time I've faffed about trying to get it to change or work or hit the right buttons, the action has long disappeared.

I've got my action AF settings stored in a user mode.

For what it's worth, AF.C and Expanded Area AF (either S or M) are my got to settings for action. This allows you to nominate the object you want to track first via the centre spot, rather than letting the camera decide in general Auto or Zone Select AF modes.

This is then matched with C3 menu settings of 1st frame action in AF.C to Focus Priority, Action in AF.C Continuous to FPS-priority and Hold AF Status to Off or low (depending on the subject matter).

Some of these settings were not in the lower range K-30 I had previously, and moving to the K-3 was great for this. Made a huge difference for me.

With the above setup, more AF points would allow the centre nominated object to be tracked wider on the frame.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.