Why do Pentax lag with autofocus?

DanielH

Link Posted 04/02/2013 - 16:53
Daniel Bridge wrote:
walt wrote:
K-30 has an af.a mode just like my old pentax Z20 fom the film days, it is just like the AI-focus on Canons and picks af.s or af.c dependent on subject motion.

Well I never! Just had to check my K-5 to make sure it's not on there and I just hadn't noticed it - can't see anything, anybody like to point out I'm wrong again?

Now, if they could do 3D-Tracking like Nikon, that would be lovely!

Dan

K-5 you said! and so did I now you mention II but I reckon its still there I found it In my K-30 menu and it overides the physical lever to give you Af.a
Dan[/quote]

Mike-P

Link Posted 04/02/2013 - 16:57
dannyh wrote:

K-5 you said! and so did I now you mention II but I reckon its still there I found it In my K-30 menu and it overides the physical lever to give you Af.a
Dan

[/quote]

It's not in the K-5 or K-5II menu.
. My Flickr

DanielH

Link Posted 04/02/2013 - 17:10
Really that is a suprise so you dont have an option of Af.a in the top Pentax bodies?

Mike-P

Link Posted 04/02/2013 - 17:13
K-5II does have a setting called expanded area af in the first menu which looks like it could be something similar but that is definitely not on the original K-5.
. My Flickr

DanielH

Link Posted 04/02/2013 - 17:21
Thats where i found it on the K-30 shooting menu 2 af setting and then you have to enable Af.a, below are expanded af area etc. But according to DP review the K-5 has Af.a

link

Dogsbody

Link Posted 04/02/2013 - 18:39
johnriley wrote:
You have a choice with Pentax DSLRs of setting the AF to focus priority or release priority, so that may make a difference.

Pentax AF is actually pretty fast as far as I have found, and reputed to be more accurate than other marques, but very fast subjects will be missed more often than still ones.

Apart from the very high end cameras, the camera club members I talk to find plenty of gripes about Canbon and Nikon AF, especially focus tracking.

The grass may not be as green as you think.

wise words indeed. To cut a long story to short, back in OctoberI decided to upgrade from a K-x to a D7000. To my eye the quality of images are no better, and it is just not as pleasant to use; both factors coupled the enjoyment of photography has ebbed. So despite the financial implications I am almost certainly going to return to Pentax possibly to a K30 it may not have the bells and whistles of the D7000, but I hope it will be similar the K-x .
A very happily using a K30. My wife says I have too many lenses.
Last Edited by Dogsbody on 04/02/2013 - 18:47

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 04/02/2013 - 18:48
dannyh wrote:
Thats where i found it on the K-30 shooting menu 2 af setting and then you have to enable Af.a, below are expanded af area etc. But according to DP review the K-5 has Af.a

link

Well, if they'd like to point out where, that would be nice.

The AF Settings in the K-30 menu (which includes AF-A on/off) covers things that are in the custom menus on the K-5/K-5II, but AF-A isn't one of them. No mention of it anywhere I can see in the camera's menus or the manual.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

DanielH

Link Posted 04/02/2013 - 20:54
That is a mystery to me. Why would Pentax not include such a useful AF feature in their top bodies? Maybe it does it automatically in Af-s mode ????

(Sorry All not meaning to rile you am just genuinely puzzled)

Daniel

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 04/02/2013 - 22:25
No, doesn't do it automatically in AF-S, that would be a PITA when it got it wrong. Perhaps Pentax's thinking is that someone with a K-5 would want to be in control of what mode it uses, and not leave it down to the camera to pick.

I tend to advise Canon users to leave theirs in AF-Focus (AF-A), but always change it to AF-Servo (AF-C) if they know their subject's likely/going to be moving, as there will be a slight delay before the camera switches from AF-S to AF-C, and that might be enough to lose the shot.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.