Why did you choose Pentax?

Unicorn1

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 15:05
I can’t really remember why I bought my k1000 – in 1981 I think – but it got some heavy use! I still have it but the shutter’s a bit tired.

It was the sheer build quality of the old k1000 that meant when considering a DSLR there was no doubt in my mind about buying another Pentax. (The k1000 has been down a least one flights of stairs, and has got very wet on several occasions during its long career!)

I went for a k100d just because that was the limit of my budget, I still take the k100d out with me as a back-up body, but the sensor was irretrievably marked (only 2 tiny spots) while on a bus in Mauritius which filled up with hot steam!

I made the jump to my k20d last Christmas, and again it was build quality – and being able to use my older lenses – that reinforced my decision.

I have retired the k1000 now – it’s been replaced by – an MZ 7!
Leslie
K20 + BG2, K100d, MZ7, K1000, various Pentax and Sigma lenses

feeb

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 16:06
I chose Pentax as it is the sturdiest, i can take my camera to festivals, parties in the woods, out in the rain, mud and weather without worrying about wether i will get a shot. I Love my Pentax and the old lenses thing is great, but really its all about the weather-proofing, and the fact that it FEELS like a camera rather than a fisher price toy like its apponents! I kinda wish they made a pro one though, thats the only issue for me really is that IF i do start making huges amounts of money from my art, i will want a top of the range camera and pentax just dont cover that end of the market right now...
Dont complain about the darkness, Light a candle......

Father Ted

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 16:30
When I bought my first SLR ( second hand ) I got a Pentax MESuper. When I wanted a DSLR I wanted to stick with my old lens and T mount adapter, and couldn't afford much, so I went for a *istDL
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

iceblinker

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 17:14
feeb wrote:
I kinda wish they made a pro one though, thats the only issue for me really is that IF i do start making huges amounts of money from my art, i will want a top of the range camera and pentax just dont cover that end of the market right now...

There's a new Pentax model coming out soon that is rumoured to be a more professional one. Watch this space!

There are a few pros using K20Ds though, so you wouldn't necessarily HAVE to switch brands even if the new model was no good.
~Pete

feeb

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 17:47
Yeah i am not planning on switching anytime soon it just always a possiblity though u know, I am certainly very happy with my Pentax right now!

hefty1

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 18:16
Unicorn1 wrote:
I have retired the k1000 now – it’s been replaced by – an MZ 7!

And how is my bro's old camera behaving itself? I bet you've had more use out of it these last few weeks than he did in the last few years.

As for choosing Pentax, the short answer is that the K10D was the best camera on the market in terms of bang-for-buck at the time I was buying my first DSLR. If I could do it over again I wouldn't change a thing
Joining the Q

Anvh

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 19:27
feeb wrote:
I kinda wish they made a pro one though, thats the only issue for me really is that IF i do start making huges amounts of money from my art, i will want a top of the range camera and pentax just dont cover that end of the market right now...

Well all the real super pro's use medium format and the Pentax 645D is on his why finally, the only question is how much it will cost.

Also the quality that you get with film 6x45 is probable worse then what you get with an digital APS-C sensor from today so what is good enough?
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

JPC1970

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 20:38
Short and Sweet (nearly)

- Bought a Nikon D50
- Upgraded to a Nikon D70s
- Upgraded to a Nikon D200
- Sold all the camera gear when young family arrived.
- Decided I missed photography as a hobby wanted to start again without the big expense.
- Looked for an excellent value DSLR and the K20D came up as the ideal camera.
- As you can see by my profile it has got nearly as expensive as before.

Do I regret selling my Nikon gear ? nope I would pick the K20D anytime over the D200. Best bang for buck camera on the market.

Jason
K30 & 18-55mm WR.

El Dingo

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 20:43
Like iceblinker, I already had a Pentax film camera and lenses. And like Anvh, it was between a Nikon D80 and the K10D. In the end, the in-body SR, weather sealing and the metal chassis (I didn't like the idea of an all-plastic camera) swung it in favour of Pentax.

In between film and K10D, I also had an Olympus 'bridge' camera - it almost put me off digital photography for ever...
El Dingo - K3-II and K10D

feeb

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 20:55
Anvh wrote:

Well all the real super pro's use medium format and the Pentax 645D is on his why finally, the only question is how much it will cost.

Also the quality that you get with film 6x45 is probable worse then what you get with an digital APS-C sensor from today so what is good enough?

film has exceptional quality, make no mistakes about that...

Pros use medium format for studio work alot but not for different work, medium format isnt ideal for out and about photography so that really depends what your going to get into.

I like pentax because its sturdy, i think its a fantastic camera and i hope they continue to increase their range as i continue to get better as a photographer

MGraley

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 21:09
Pentax is like a Fowler Steam Engine, like a Morgan or Lotus or MG. It's like a Parker Pen - it's like - it's like a ....
Just simply the right thing to have!

Isn't it?

JasonRawlings

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 21:51
My local dealer let me try out all the brands, and the Pentax won hands down. There was so much on offer, the bang for bucks was just so good and the pentax community is by far the best and most helpfull.
K20D and a few different lenses. Plus I'm a complete noob.

Anvh

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 23:08
feeb wrote:
film has exceptional quality, make no mistakes about that...

Pros use medium format for studio work alot but not for different work, medium format isnt ideal for out and about photography so that really depends what your going to get into.

Yes of course but it really depends on what you want to shoot if it's worth to take a medium format. Many landscapre artists used 6x7 and those cameras aren't light or small either.
Even with a Pentax 67II you can do alot of types of shooting, even combined with a 800mm lens link
Wildlife link

Film has some qualities that digital can never get but for most of it it's only relevant for special useses.
Here is a shootout between the Pentax 67II and a Canon 1DS, do bare in mind that the Canon is from 2002 and I believe we come pretty close with the APS-C sensors from today. link

ps. what do you think of the desgin of Pentax, that's also a pluspoint for me. Most midend camera's from other companies are good to hold but not the smaller ones, if you ever have hold a Canon 350D you know what I mean
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

feeb

Link Posted 07/05/2009 - 23:33
i would say the Entire quality of black and white photography was a fairly sizable chunk of the art that film has way over digital - not that the actual digital images are bad, its more the printing where digital fails. i disagree with one thing though, i thing digital has the capacity to do everything that film has, its just not there yet, we need a few more advances in digital printing before we are anywhere close - i think the design of the Pentax is fantastic, i havent had much experience with Canon but i have used Nikons at college and they are rubbish, cheap feeling and hard to work out! not ma cup of tea at all!

digitron

Link Posted 08/05/2009 - 00:59
The MX I bought in the early 80s just felt right. Every detail designed to make use simple. Nothing else in the shop felt as well built. The K10D follows that basic format and added to it. So not a hard decision staying with pentax.
K10D + K20D + DA 18-55mm, Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma 170-500mm, DA50-135mm F2.8, 50mm F1.7
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.