White Balance Fine Tuning.

petemasty

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 11:02
I very recently shot a corporate event (indoor) using flash. Was pleased with the flash as it was the first time I had used it in 'anger' so to speak. However, when I printed out the shots they were a little cold. I then upped the colour balance in PSP and they looked a lot better. So, what is the problem I hear you ask?

Well, my white balance was set to flash so I thought I would have got the shots I wanted at the right colour temperature. so, should I fine tune the white balance in camera or not? The flash colour balance was 4500k, so i had to up it in PP to nearer 6500k to take the blue/purple tinge from the pics.

do any of you motley crew finely tune your white balances or do you keep them as their default?

One thing I have realsied though is how important colour temp settings are when taking shots so i now have three settings in colour temperature (3000, 5000, 7000).
Pete M
My Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 11:13
It's worth checking which WB setting you like. I don't like the flash setting for flash so I use daylight. AWB also works well with flash, so try them all and see what you think.
Best regards, John

petemasty

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 11:32
Actually John i didnt think of that!!! I wasnt impressed with the flash setting thats for sure. Took of shot of my nipper this moring with the flash and no matter how much i fine tuned it, the colour just didnt come out the way ii would wish.

Thnik I'll give Temp WB a try too this evening.
Pete M
My Flickr

gartmore

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 13:04
Funnily enough I find that the flash WB suits my studio heads and my old Pentax AF400Ts very well. Different flashes will have different colour balances but if you shoot RAW then it doesn't matter at all.

4500K doesn't seem right at all to me, I would have guessed at around 5000 to 5500K but I've just check my K20 and it is giving a Flash WB of 5000K, I wonder why yours is different?

There are so/too many tweaks available in the WB area, could something have been changed from the default?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 20/06/2010 - 13:11

amoringello

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 13:14
I'm almost always at AWB. Generally my environment is changing so much that sticking the camera into a particular value simply makes things worse. The camera will detect when a flash is popped up (or in the hotshoe) and set WB to "Flash" on its own. So AWB still works well enough for me.

If I am in a studio environment, I might set WB to suit my flash head's needs if AWB is a bit off.
It keeps me from adjusting the photo later and applying that change to hundreds of images in the set.
Although not a big deal if I forget since the change can be applied consistently across all photos in almost one click.

Anvh

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 15:37
gartmore wrote:
4500K doesn't seem right at all to me, I would have guessed at around 5000 to 5500K but I've just check my K20 and it is giving a Flash WB of 5000K, I wonder why yours is different?

The WB settings like Daylight, Tungsten, ect. are not fixed numbers but it limits the range of the AWB.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

johnriley

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 15:45
Quote:
The WB settings like Daylight, Tungsten, ect. are not fixed numbers but it limits the range of the AWB

You can switch this feature off and have fixed values if you want to, at least on the K20D.
Best regards, John

Anvh

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 15:57
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
The WB settings like Daylight, Tungsten, ect. are not fixed numbers but it limits the range of the AWB

You can switch this feature off and have fixed values if you want to, at least on the K20D.

Oh really?
How is the option called I couldn't find it on the K10D
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

gartmore

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 16:14
On the K20d in Custom Menu > 11 > WB when using flash > 3 (fixed) and Custom Menu > 12 WB Adjustable range > 2 (fixed)
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 20/06/2010 - 16:15

Anvh

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 19:12
Ken no such thing on the K10D
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

prsjnb

Link Posted 20/06/2010 - 21:49
Hi Ken,

Trying to tweak colour balance post capture is, in my experience, often a thankless and frustrating task. For this reason, especially for critical work, I always carry a small target grey card (Perfect-Pixs) and/or a Lastolite Ezybalance collapsible reflector. This way, I can either use the custom white balance function pre-capture or leave the camera on the auto setting and include one or more shots of the target card/reflector for correction post-capture.

Since adopting this practice I've been able to spend much more time with the family and get to bed at a reasonable hour!

Jon

P.S. The above assumes that you have calibrated your monitor.
Last Edited by prsjnb on 20/06/2010 - 21:50
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.