Which standard zoom for the K-5
Posted 06/12/2011 - 21:42
Link
Well the Sigma 17-70mm isn't a constant 2.8 so you can probably rule that one out. Not tried the Sigma 17-50mm but I have the 16-50mm and just purchased the Tamron 17-50mm (actually arrived today) for my 50D.
I really like the 16-50mm even though most reviews seem to put the Tamron ahead for pure IQ but I am looking forward to having a play with the 17-50mm on the Canon to see how it performs (AF speed seems fine but then I am used to Pentax speed anyway so mostly anything seems fast to me).
I really like the 16-50mm even though most reviews seem to put the Tamron ahead for pure IQ but I am looking forward to having a play with the 17-50mm on the Canon to see how it performs (AF speed seems fine but then I am used to Pentax speed anyway so mostly anything seems fast to me).
Posted 06/12/2011 - 21:46
Link
What about the Pentax 16-45? Only f4, I'm afraid but I have an excellent copy for sale currently in the classified!
Dave
Dave
Posted 06/12/2011 - 23:01
Link
Id like to keep the option of shallow DOF there and this is why I am more interested in 2.8 lenses. Would you go for the f4 Pentax 17-70 over the 2.8-4 17-70 Sigma Mike?
Posted 07/12/2011 - 09:36
Link
I got the Tamron 17-50 at a good price. I haven't used zooms much in the past, but thought I would give it a try. I haven't used it that much, but initial indications are that it's a decent lens. It has a satisfactory build, bulky but not really heavy. The AF works, I haven't had enough time with it to test AF shortcomings.
In terms of IQ, it's one of those lenses that is world class in the centre at all apertures(ie. as sharp as good primes, I'm not joking)but is not so stellar in the borders, although even there it's good. I got some annoying CAs at 17mm f2.8 which I couldn't get rid of easily with Lightroom, but that may be my lack of skills.
Overall, a good lens and terrific value. I did hear all sorts of horror stories about decentering etc. however, so I tested mine before I committed.
In terms of IQ, it's one of those lenses that is world class in the centre at all apertures(ie. as sharp as good primes, I'm not joking)but is not so stellar in the borders, although even there it's good. I got some annoying CAs at 17mm f2.8 which I couldn't get rid of easily with Lightroom, but that may be my lack of skills.
Overall, a good lens and terrific value. I did hear all sorts of horror stories about decentering etc. however, so I tested mine before I committed.
Posted 07/12/2011 - 11:30
Link
I find it hard to take my Sigma 70-200 Hsm 2 macro off the K5!!!
From birds in flight to close ups to sports photos it's great.
bb2
From birds in flight to close ups to sports photos it's great.
bb2
K5, K20D, Bigma, Sigma EX 105, Sigma EX 10-20, Sigma EX 28-70 F2.8, Sigma Ex 1.4TC,
Pentax 135 F3.5, Pentax 30mm F2.8 , Pentax 50mm F1.7, Pentax 55mm F1.8,
Super Taks: 35mm F3.5, 50mm F1.4, 135mm F3.5, 200mm F4
Vivitar TX 200mm F3.5,Vivitar (Komine)135mm f2.8, Vivitar 2X TC, Vivitar T4 400mm F6.3
Tamron SP 35-80,80-210 F3.8, Helios 44M, Mir 1B 37mm F2.8, Jupiter 9 85mm F2, Chinon 28mm F2.8, 3M-5A 500mm F8 etc etc
Posted 07/12/2011 - 15:27
Link
A bot OT but glad you enjoy your 70-200
Posted 07/12/2011 - 16:33
Link
I use a Tamron 17-50 on my K-5 and am very happy with it. It's comparatively small and light, has excellent IQ and balances well on the K-5.
I looked at the Pentax 16-50 but didn't go for it as I don't need weather sealing and didn't think the improvement in build quality was worth the difference in price.
I looked at the Pentax 16-50 but didn't go for it as I don't need weather sealing and didn't think the improvement in build quality was worth the difference in price.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


314 posts
15 years
Watford
I do have the 18-55 WR kit but I do not particularly like it (sorry to everyone that raves about it) and I would like the 2.8 aperture.
I am open to suggestions but given the amount of lenses I own currently (40mm and 35mm the 21mm) I do not want to spend a heck of a lot of money which almost rules out the 16-50 unless there is a very good reason to get it over the alternatives.
So from the 17-50 Tamron, 17-70, 17-50 Sigma which would you go for? Are there other options I am not aware of?. BTW I had the Tamron in Nikon fit and though the IQ was really good the AF speed left plenty to be desired.