Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Which Q?

womble
Posted 11/12/2017 - 23:00 Link
Of the four Q models, any agreement which is "the best"? The latter ones have a larger sensor, but I have heard several people argue the original has nicer ergonomics etc.

I might just get a Pentax 110 Auto instead....

Thanks, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
johnriley
Posted 11/12/2017 - 23:03 Link
In terms of ergonomics I don't think it makes any difference.

In terms of quality the bigger sensor is better. My Q S-1 gives results identical to my MX-1. Both are superb cameras.
Best regards, John
ronniemac
Posted 12/12/2017 - 00:53 Link
The build quality of the original Q is superior, but it falls far short of the image quality of the Q-7 and Q-S1 which share the same sensor.

As John pointed out, there is little to choose between the ergonomics of these which is sometimes challenging for those of us with fat fingers. I think I would prefer the little grip of the Q-7 over the Q-S1 knob, but having never held the Q-S1 that's an uninformed guess.

Maybe for most people it's more a question of style although I can't think of a reason to buy a Q-10 if you could have a Q-7.

Regarding the Pentax Auto 110; if coupled with a set of aperture discs from Lensbaby, the various 110 lenses work nicely with an adapter on the Q cameras.

I was hoping that Ricoh would release a Q with an EVF, but now that the Q line seems to be discontinued, I guess it ain't going to happen.
HarisF1
Posted 12/12/2017 - 08:53 Link
Agree completely with what Ronnie said. The Q7 is much easier to hold. The Q-S1 is rather uncomfortable between the index and middle finger (where the IR unit is located). I bought a hotshoe thumb grip for my Q-S1 and that improved the comfort levels greatly, but makes for an awkward hand position.

It all then boils down to whichever one looks nicer or comes cheaper. I'd take the Q-S1 again (the red and gun metal is a stunner)
All the gear with no idea
womble
Posted 13/12/2017 - 20:55 Link
Thanks folks. I'd assumed the larger sensor was the way to go. There seem to be more Q-S1's for sale than Q7s which are surprisingly pricey.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
dpm
Posted 14/12/2017 - 06:48 Link
just make sure that there are no issues with the clock battery pre-purchase, else you'll be resetting the date and time every time you change battery. Pretty common issue I believe.
johnriley
Posted 14/12/2017 - 09:26 Link
The resetting issue is most likely a rather silly menu structure. Having set the details, we have to scroll down to "settings complete" and click that tab, otherwise they are not saved.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.