which pentax film body to get?

aadixon

Link Posted 23/02/2014 - 02:11
I love my zx-30 (lenses work and fit on my K3 too), although I haven't tried any manual bodies. I hear great things though! I like my zx-30 because it's automatic rewind and newer. Although the lenses for it can be a bare... I still love it thus far though. Classic pentaxs are the ones people have listed so far...the LX,MX, etc.

johnha

Link Posted 23/02/2014 - 22:19
womble wrote:
Although I am fond of my ES, love my MXes, enjoy the KX... etc etc... the last film camera I'd get rid of is my LX.

I've just ordered a FD-2 viewfinder which completes my set...

Best wishes, Kris.

Having just got my LX back from repair - it's been a long time since I've used it. Compared to my MX and Super-A, the refinement is on another level. I appreciate they're more expensive (especially given the cost of the repair) but they are simply excellent to use.

Kris - Congrats on completing the set, I have the FA-1 & FB-1/FC-1 and the FD-2 is probably the only other I'd look at.

John.
PPG Flickr

lxmike

Link Posted 30/03/2014 - 21:17
Pentax lx would get my vote

Hardgravity

Link Posted 01/04/2014 - 07:55
MX bodies are easier to find and just wonderful to use, very 'old school' in feel. Not that the LX is a bad body, quite the opposite.

If you want auto focus then yes the MZ series, personally I love the MZ6, very familiar in feel, almost digital. The MZ30 is very similar to the '6 just cut back on features and with the much maligned plastic lens mount.

Of course if you want to go the whole 'old school' hog try a Spotmatic...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

greynolds999

Link Posted 01/04/2014 - 11:04
Personally I wouldn't worry about the model. Just find one in good condition.

I find film cameras to be much of a muchness. There are things which are useful features like light meters, Av or Tv modes, etc, but you don't need them.

But if you want to share lenses, make sure you get a PK mount.

The right film is a far more significant issue.
My Photobucket

grahamcoad

Link Posted 01/04/2014 - 11:16
Gareth, there is a whole raft of younger people who never used a film camera or a camera which you have to focus yourself, or one without an exposure meter.

Many of them have absolutely no idea where to start, and are coming from camera phones!

I have seen some repeatedly looking at the back of the camera wondering where the monitor is......

Try explaining the "Sunny 16" rule to someone who owns a DSLR but who has no idea HOW it works, or the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and "film" speed........
K-1, Sigma 12-24mm DG EX, Sigma 24-70mm DG EX, K-3, White K-01 with 40mm XS and white 35mm f2.4, SMC Pentax FA 1.8 31mm AL Limited, 43mm f1.9 Limited, 77mm f1.8 Limited, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, SMC Pentax DA* 50-135 f2.8, MX + SMC M 50mm f1.4, SMC A 50mm f1.4, SMC A 50mm f1.2, Spotmatic F 55mm f1.8, ES with 55mm f1.8 and 28mm f3.5, Program Plus (Chrome) with SMC A 50mm f1.7, Pentax 6x7, Leica ii, plus misc. odds and sods)

Daronl

Link Posted 03/04/2014 - 20:01
A Z1P is pretty much as good as it gets, I have two and although I have a K3 and a K5iis. I still pull out the Z1P when I want to re calibrate my understanding of resolution.

Particularly with Macro using the Pentax 100 mm and a Sunpak ring flash, we have a bit to go with digital still.

Clearly I don' t need 2 if you are interested let me know

Regards

Daronl
Quote:

Quote:

laurencea wrote:
i've just got back into film and haven't a clue about Pentax film cameras and any tips of what would be a good, simple camera would be greatly appreciated.

quote:3496ace15f="Lancer3397"]My other half is hankering to take photos the old fashioned way. with film.

now while she's looking at really old fashioned fixed lens camera bodies, the old style vertical with two lens built in stuff, I'm trying to persuade her to go for pentax,

for a start we can share old lenses and I've got a 50mm M 1.4 she can use for starters.

but I know nothig about pentax film bodies. what's a good one to get?

there happens to be a camera shop in leeds that is selling a number of different pentax camera bodies for £60 down plus has a nice selection of lenses. but I don't know anything about the bodies.[/quote]
Daronl

grahamcoad

Link Posted 04/04/2014 - 13:00
Isn't it strange how personal preferences work....I am not fond of the appearance of ANY of the SFX/SF7 and Z ranges, I think they're ugly as sin, and I never felt comfortable with plastic cameras.

To some people though, they are where they 'came in' to Pentax cameras perhaps and are associated wit all good stuff.

To me the Spotmatics have beautiful lines and are like works of art, but my favourites to look at, hold and use are the black K2, silver MX and the LX, with the K2 being the smoothest and with the quietest shutter.

(I didn't like the looks and feel of my Pentax K-20D, but love my silver K-3)

Graham.
K-1, Sigma 12-24mm DG EX, Sigma 24-70mm DG EX, K-3, White K-01 with 40mm XS and white 35mm f2.4, SMC Pentax FA 1.8 31mm AL Limited, 43mm f1.9 Limited, 77mm f1.8 Limited, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, SMC Pentax DA* 50-135 f2.8, MX + SMC M 50mm f1.4, SMC A 50mm f1.4, SMC A 50mm f1.2, Spotmatic F 55mm f1.8, ES with 55mm f1.8 and 28mm f3.5, Program Plus (Chrome) with SMC A 50mm f1.7, Pentax 6x7, Leica ii, plus misc. odds and sods)

ISO

Link Posted 04/04/2014 - 19:05
I don’t recall the SFXn being plastic I used one for a long time and thought it really good. I seem to remember some of the reviews at the time said it was ‘Military Looking’.

grahamcoad

Link Posted 04/04/2014 - 20:06
I have bought both SFX and SF7 out of curiosity and my impression is that they were made of strong dark grey/blackish plastic?

They probably were fine for the era, its just that coming from an earlier era myself, I thought Pentax stylists had "lost their way".

Military looking....was that meant to be a compliment?

---I am thinking tanks and humvees and worse things...

ISO

Link Posted 05/04/2014 - 19:11
Quote:
Military looking....was that meant to be a compliment?

Well it is a very angular design, and I seem to think felt heavier than being just plastic. Sure, never as elegant as a Spotmatic, which, if anyone can remember, was the subject of one of the best Pentax Press Ads. ''No other Camera can shoot a Black Cat in a Coal Cellar'' (Or words to that affect)

johnha

Link Posted 09/04/2014 - 23:34
I had an SFXn and am sorry I sold it. It was said it had a stainless steel chassis and when the rubber grip peeled off mine there was a lot of metal underneath. The outer cover was some sort of plastic/rubber material and I felt mine was indestructible.

It was my 'beater' camera and I used it everywhere when I needed something durable. One day it was chucking it down and I had no choice but to continually change lenses in the rain - water was dripping out of the mirror box but it kept going.

The handling/ergonomics were good for me, the AA battery grip helped a bit and I've ended up buying another since.
PPG Flickr

ISO

Link Posted 10/04/2014 - 18:32
Funny how the rubber grip peeled off - mine did to

pentux

Link Posted 12/04/2014 - 23:11
I still have my Ricoh XRX and still get very good results from it.
Liked it so much that, in spite of buying digital SLR's, I have accumulated a few more.
Lenses are interchangeable with my DSLR's.
Best of both worlds.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.