Where have the Butterflies gone?

davidstorm

Link Posted 21/06/2014 - 23:19
Has anyone got any butterflies in their locality at the moment? We had loads in early Spring, Brimstone, Orange Tip, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Small and Large White, Comma and others, but at the moment I'm not seeing any at all. What has happened to them?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

InFESTation

Link Posted 21/06/2014 - 23:27
I have seen 2 since back in country 2 weeks ago, and they were both in a protected area where I couldn't follow they must be able to read signs

As a side, after the glut of lady birds 2 month back only just found the first ladybird nymph? and no camera to hand
Pint o' rough & a game o' darts anyone

JAK

Link Posted 21/06/2014 - 23:33
Odd ones, not as many as I'd expect for this time of the year. An odd Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Cabbage White. But this week managed to get a photo of sorts of a Hummingbird Hawk Moth (yes I know it's not a butterfly!) There were two and I've never seen one before.

Normally by now I'd have expected Small Tortoiseshells by the dozen, but seen none since the early spring.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 21/06/2014 - 23:34

davidstorm

Link Posted 21/06/2014 - 23:34
We've got thousands of Ladybird nymphs and pupae in our garden at the moment, both native and Harlequins. I've not seen as many for some years.

Regards
David
Flickr

davidstorm

Link Posted 21/06/2014 - 23:35
Nice to have the Hummingbird Moth John, I think that they are steadily moving North.

Regards
David
Flickr

JAK

Link Posted 22/06/2014 - 00:04
davidstorm wrote:
Nice to have the Hummingbird Moth John, I think that they are steadily moving North.

Regards
David

Indeed. It was a press and hope shot with the MX-1. Took six shots with the other five deleted instantly. Actually, these critters are hard to photograph as they don't stay put for more than a second each time and frit about all over the place, so consider myself lucky to have got this shot. Would have been even harder using the K-5 or K-3 as there wouldn't have been enough time to frame and focus.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 22/06/2014 - 00:04

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 22/06/2014 - 08:35
Got plenty round here, there just really camera shy!

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 22/06/2014 - 08:40
davidstorm wrote:

Regards
David

I saw one up here a few years back, failed to get a shot though. Then read in the paper that they had just landed way down south.

Blaze

Link Posted 22/06/2014 - 08:45
Very few this year, certainly nothing unusual. Lots of boring browns and a peacock or two:

This was very heavily cropped as this year it seems to be difficult to get close to them.

geordie01

Link Posted 22/06/2014 - 09:12
No hardly seen any this year' i had a walk round Rowntree Park in York yesterday and did not see one.

stub

Link Posted 22/06/2014 - 09:53

Only a common one. But he was around yesterday... (Sorry.. Not the best shot.. Must do better.)
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

tyronet2000

Link Posted 22/06/2014 - 10:45
Not seen many butterflies anywhere or perhaps more worrying less bees in the garden this year.

Snapped this moth last night. No idea what it is. Apologies for image quality or rather lack of

Regards
Stan

PPG

Blaze

Link Posted 22/06/2014 - 11:08
I think it's a Buff Arches moth, Stan. The browny hues are often difficult to identify unless you're well clued up in moths!! Apparently it likes brambles and raspberries

walt

Link Posted 22/06/2014 - 12:22
Things do go a bit quiet at times, like you I saw a lot in spring, but I've just got back from a few days in the north east (England) and I started seeing ringlets, meadow browns, large skippers, fresh small tortoiseshell, speckled woods plus the occasional red admiral and peacock. Don't worry I think they're coming..... Thought I'd go out to a local wood later today (southern England) and see what's on the wing. Who knows maybe the purple emperor will be around (there have been sightings down here already) along with white admirals and even some black hairstreaks... Oh how I love summer....
Walt
My newer photos google photos
My older Flickr photos Flickr
Even older ones Picasa

fritzthedog

Link Posted 22/06/2014 - 16:43
Plenty of whites around here - very little else at the moment

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.