When to buy?

El Dingo

Link Posted 26/09/2015 - 10:31
I'm now thinking about a new camera body and the K3 ii looks like it.
My question is, have other members here seen any seasonal change to prices as such?

I know that this is a new camera and so the price will drop as time passes but I wonder when that might happen and, for example, if I wait until after Christmas there might be a drop in prices generally?

From previous experience this hasn't been the case - depending on the exchange rate prices for Pentax lenses, for example, have bounced around over the last few years.

However, I'm still amazed that I only paid 525 for my 12-24 and that was in a January, even allowing for inflation.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
El Dingo - K3-II and K10D

RobL

Link Posted 26/09/2015 - 11:36
Take a look at another relatively recent body, the K-S2 released in February. The body was 549.99 at launch and is now 499.00 on many regular sites, best buy from Amazon 471.28 +pp. so on that basis you can reckon on a 10% drop over eight months. Having said that the K-3II looks very well priced to start so it may be a while before there is any change, and when stocks outstrip demand. But what do I know!

Helpful

Phil1022

Link Posted 26/09/2015 - 14:32
Take a look at http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk you can track the pricing history of items graphically.

Helpful

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 26/09/2015 - 21:18
You need to time it just right... obviously. Early adopters have deep pockets and are unable to postpone gratification.

I'm generally useless, often leaving it too late, seeing prices fall away and then rise inexplicably when there's just a few units left. This happened when I bought my K5: it still hurts. 450 was way too much.

Got it just right with my K100D, MX-1 and EOS M kit, though. Oh yes.

I reckon if you set a "reasonable" price, well below, well below, the RRP on release, a price which you think represents a bargain (and which you can afford). Then get it when that price is reached. Then stop looking...

I'd love a GX7 but want one at less than a quarter of its original price. It's been superceded but it's such a desirable camera (and its replacement bigger and uglier) the price remains stubbornly high. Oh well, some things are just not meant to be.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Helpful

50mpCMOS

Link Posted 27/09/2015 - 17:45
I purchase nearly all of my items on a zero percent credit card, not an introductory interest but the permanent zero rate. I also get all kinds of goodies such as miles, etc... Best part yet, most credit card purchases have some sort of price guarantee, that over "so much time" if the price drops one gets that amount refunded.

I'll purchase items from day one, only to have them drop in price over eleven months later. Amount of difference still completely refunded. Plus the credit card offers additional protection on "most items" that is better than most warranties and most insurance policies
Last Edited by 50mpCMOS on 27/09/2015 - 17:45

Dwiea

Link Posted 10/10/2015 - 00:29
50mpCMOS wrote:
I'll purchase items from day one, only to have them drop in price over eleven months later. Amount of difference still completely refunded. Plus the credit card offers additional protection on "most items" that is better than most warranties and most insurance policies

What is this?

Is it like insurance where if they need to get you a new one because of a fault in manufacture the CC will give the full value and no the price they can get it at now ?

johnriley

Link Posted 10/10/2015 - 09:24
I find it hard to imagine any commercial sense in an arrangement where a credit card company agrees to refund any price drop over 12 months. The price is nothing to do with the credit card, they deal in money. And they make profit on that, not huge losses.

As regards when to buy, items I can wait for but just want I wait for the first flurry of high prices to pass. Items I actually need are purchased right away, usually from SRS Microsystems. Items not fully needed yet but which appear as short term "offers I can't refuse" get snapped up immediately. He who hesitates loses the bargain!
Best regards, John

jemx99

Link Posted 10/10/2015 - 12:22
50mpCMOS wrote:
zero percent credit card, not an introductory interest but the permanent zero rate. I also get all kinds of goodies such as miles, etc... Best part yet, most credit card purchases have some sort of price guarantee, that over "so much time" if the price drops one gets that amount refunded.

Crikey that sounds a good deal - how does the company make any money??

Nakedgun

Link Posted 16/10/2015 - 03:11
bwlchmawr wrote:

I reckon if you set a "reasonable" price, well below, well below, the RRP on release, a price which you think represents a bargain (and which you can afford). Then get it when that price is reached. Then stop looking...

Quite right, I think. From my experience, no matter what price you pay, it will always be found for less after you buy it.
"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.