When can we expect a detailed review of the K3?


Sean282

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 11:45
Do we need to wait until November before we get some detail?

If your launching and advertising specs now then the camera should be able to deliver a customer expectation (relative to the advertised specs) now and any delay in shipping would be down to ramping up the manufacturing process and making sure the QC is what it needs to be.

I'd like to see reviews from a variety of sources as well as a study from RICOH about specific lens speed limitations that will not show the AF enhancements of the new body. e.g its been mentioned by unlocker that the 60-250 is still glacially slow on the K3. Alot of people need convinced that the AF speed has really improved

gwing

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 12:02
Sean282 wrote:
Alot of people need convinced that the AF speed has really improved

Personally I'm very happy with AF speed, at least on the lenses I use - I would like to see AF improvements in tracking and locking on small fast moving objects though. With luck the increased sensor count and more internal processing grunt will help with these.

johnriley

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 12:20
November isn't that long to wait now we know it's on the way.

I was musing to myself about the complexities of distribution and cameras, boxes, accessories must all be ready by now for shipping. I wonder how they do last minute firmware upgrades...perhaps the bodies are the last thing to go in the box and they all get plugged in and updated or perhaps the chip that carries the firmware is easily accessible and they are done in huge blocks and then inserted in the cameras as a last phase.

The logistics of it all must be pretty hectic. Maybe firmware is finally updated when the camera reach the UK. I used to sell Japanese dental chairs that arrived in the UK without their upholstery, which was added here to order for colour. Maybe the cameras are already here having final checks and waiting for the green light.

That's what I've been musing.....
Best regards, John

Sean282

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 12:38
gwing wrote:
Sean282 wrote:
Alot of people need convinced that the AF speed has really improved

Personally I'm very happy with AF speed, at least on the lenses I use - I would like to see AF improvements in tracking and locking on small fast moving objects though. With luck the increased sensor count and more internal processing grunt will help with these.

I wasn't talking about you then

What do you think all those disgruntled Nikon users would say?

Even if we knew that next generation SDM lens would be required, it would be great to get a message out there if the potential to be close or match competitors AF speeds now existed

ChrisA

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 13:04
Sean282 wrote:
Even if we knew that next generation SDM lens would be required, it would be great to get a message out there if the potential to be close or match competitors AF speeds now existed

Hear hear!

I'm definitely one of the ones that need convincing - it's the only reason I haven't pre-ordered at SRS already
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.

dcweather

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 14:58
I don't know about a review but the K3 seems to have provoked the most positive response from DPreview on announcemnent than any other Pentax DSLR as far as I remember.

Sean282

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 15:46
I'd agree ....so imagine it delivers on all it promises to be

The quicker it is tested whilst the hype (and might I add disgruntlement with other systems) is there, then the more sales potential there is

steven9761

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 17:50
johnriley wrote:
November isn't that long to wait now we know it's on the way.

I was musing to myself about the complexities of distribution and cameras, boxes, accessories must all be ready by now for shipping. I wonder how they do last minute firmware upgrades...perhaps the bodies are the last thing to go in the box and they all get plugged in and updated or perhaps the chip that carries the firmware is easily accessible and they are done in huge blocks and then inserted in the cameras as a last phase.

The logistics of it all must be pretty hectic. Maybe firmware is finally updated when the camera reach the UK. I used to sell Japanese dental chairs that arrived in the UK without their upholstery, which was added here to order for colour. Maybe the cameras are already here having final checks and waiting for the green light.

That's what I've been musing.....

John - it usually takes around 4-6 weeks for seafreight to arrive in Felixstowe from Japan, or if arriving by air, a direct flight from Tokyo Narita would be overnight. I'd imagine that, to simplify the customs clearance process, the bodies are shipped on their own Master Airway Bill (MAWB), or if by sea, on its own Bill Of Lading (B/L). As the bodies are duty exempt, it remains for the associated lenses and other accessories to have duty applied at the correct rates. My guess is that the cameras are shipped "as is" from the factory, and whilst the cameras are being packaged at the factory, their electronics bod's are working on ironing out "teething" problems that are then released as firmware updates. Taking into consideration the actual logistics of a "tandem global launch" these shipments will probably have left the factory in July/August, in order for them to arrive at a distribution hub, Europe's perhaps being based in Germany, who in turn would distribute to other European distribution warehouses. And, just for good measure, consider that most logistics companies work to JIT (Just In Time) practices!!
Last Edited by steven9761 on 10/10/2013 - 18:06

johnriley

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 18:28
Thanks Steven, pretty much what I expected, I wonder how it's going!
Best regards, John

steven9761

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 18:57
johnriley wrote:
Thanks Steven, pretty much what I expected, I wonder how it's going!

John - if I knew which forwarder was entrusted with the storage and distribution, I'd be on their case!!

MattyH

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 19:17
Digitalrev had one of the very first,So I guess that should be interesting

malcolmk

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 19:37
As I said before, the Pentax rep. at SRS said the first consignments would come in by air in November. He didn't like paying the extra costs but was not prepared to, in my words which he agreed, be bad mouthed by a shipload not getting here for Christmas.

Mike-P

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 20:04
MattyH wrote:
Digitalrev had one of the very first,So I guess that should be interesting

Looking forward to that one.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

steven9761

Link Posted 10/10/2013 - 20:29
If the K-3 is being assembled in Thailand, I might have a word with my wife's uncle, as he works for Canon Optical there. He might have connections at the Ricoh Pentax assembly plant in Ayutthaya! All being well, I might see if a few bottles of a good SCOTCH malt whisky will get me a deal, since uncle enjoyed the few bottles we've already took him!
Last Edited by steven9761 on 10/10/2013 - 20:30
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.