What would be the K30D?

JeanClaudePhilippe

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 14:13
I see in this forum that you talk about the K30D.
What do you expect the K30D will be and when?

loskeran

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 15:17
Hi, I will get my crystal ball out, Pentax will be working on new developments but who knows what it will be.
Last Edited by loskeran on 08/02/2009 - 15:48

hefty1

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 15:30
I think it's likely to be towards the end of this year, however, I would expect it to be an improved version of the K20D rather than an entirely new camera.

I would expect the Live View to have a better implementation (something more like the Sony Alpha cameras), some new software tweaks, an upgraded shutter/mirror assembly to allow for faster shooting rates and possibly a new version of the SAFOX autofocus system.

Flash metering via P-TTL could also do with a little overhaul - I'm sure the Pentax engineers have had plenty of time to reverse-engineer a Nikon camera by now!

Will the end results be any better than the cameras that preceded it? Probably not. It will just make getting those pictures slightly easier and more convenient for some photographers under certain circumstances; so I wouldn't worry about what the future *may* bring, just enjoy the camera you have at your fingertips here and now.
Joining the Q

Mannesty

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 16:00
Built-in geotagging & WIFI in an optional grip (these functions to be powered by an additional, but small, battery), higher frame rate, Nikon style creative flash control.

FF? Not for me. keep the same sensor and PRIME engine, just improve everything else.

Oh, and get rid of live view. P&S cameras might need it, DSLRs don't.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

loskeran

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 16:08
Mannesty wrote:
Built-in geotagging & WIFI in an optional grip (these functions to be powered by an additional, but small, battery), higher frame rate, Nikon style creative flash control.

FF? Not for me. keep the same sensor and PRIME engine, just improve everything else.

Geotagging wont interest me its bad enough with "sat nav" taking me round in circles.
Apart from that I agree, FF, not for me, Extra weight and the lens length

Hardgravity

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 17:09
Quote:

Sorry to disagree Mannesty, but to shift boxes and improve the market position further this is almost a mandatory item now.

I'd like to see an increase in pixel count and faster focusing, backed up by an improved frame rate in continues shooting.

Do that and Pentax will really rattle a few cages at other companies.

After all, pentax produce the best quality shots and cameras as it is!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Mannesty

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 17:31
loskeran wrote:
Geotagging wont interest me its bad enough with "sat nav" taking me round in circles.

If you are old enough to have a store of photo's that you haven't seen for at least 10 years. Have a look at some of them and note how many that you have no clue about the location.

Geotagging sorts that problem, if it's implemented properly.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

iceblinker

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 17:32
The only advantage to getting rid of Live View would be to stop the reviewers moaning about it. You don't have to use it!

Actually it can really be useful sometimes. I was using it whilst leaning out of a window at an awkward angle this afternoon.
~Pete

GrahamNR17

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 17:38
It'll be 5 percent sensible additions (though given how jam-packed cameras already are, I've no idea what more is needed) and 95 percent stuff added to keep up with the Jones's.

Geotagging can be useful, particularly if you want to return there at a later date - say for a "four seasons" photo series. Also useful to some professions where they take evidence photos etc. Archeologists would probably find it useful too.

I'd like a removable prism housing so I can snap-in a waiste-level finder. I'd also like a conventional cable-release socket. And a plain-vanilla PC flash socket.

Tea maker. Definitely need a tea maker in there

loskeran

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 17:47
Mannesty wrote:
loskeran wrote:

If you are old enough to have a store of photo's that you haven't seen for at least 10 years. Have a look at some of them and note how many that you have no clue about the location.

Geotagging sorts that problem, if it's implemented properly.

All filed on disc where/when /date. Even my old negs, organisation

Greytop

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 20:35
My two pennies worth:

1) Faster more accurate focusing in low light would be useful.
2) Better live view implementation, which will require an articulating screen a la Oly E-30 / E-30 to be useful for low shots.

The rest, carry on with the great build/weather proofing, size is OK for me but I have heard there are hints that it may be more compact.
Ideally keep same battery and grip if possible (but I doubt it they introduce a new more compact body).
Regards Huw

flickr

Mannesty

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 20:49
GrahamNR17 wrote:
. . . And a plain-vanilla PC flash socket . . . .

Already on the K20D, down the left side just below the strap lug.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

BigTed

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 21:13
How about a full frame sensor, and some full frame lenses (the Hoya connection?)

Marky

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 21:22
I cant see the point of a full frame sensor personally.

The camera would cost too much and Pentax probably wouldnt sell enough the make the money back. Even the likes of Nikon havent exactly sold loads of D3's.

Then we have to think about the lenses...

womble

Link Posted 08/02/2009 - 21:31
Full frame... err, unlikely and expensive for Pentax as they would have to issue a whole new series of lenses. It is taking them long enough to launch the ones they have already announced.

Live view... I'm not bothered but it would help to sell to other punters.

More megapixels... I find 10 enough on my K10D let alone the 14 of the K20D.

The more I think about it the more I find there is little else I want. What I do want, however, is Pentax to do well and stay in business and from that point of view, a faster FPS, better low light focusing / quicker focusing and a better live view system would help convert more to the light.

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.