what tripod?

capabilities

Link Posted 15/04/2008 - 23:22
I have recently purchased the K20. After some good advice from the forum I have purchaes the 200aw sling case. Now I want to purchase a good tripod suitable for use with the K20, I am very confused by the many that are available on the market. I would like it easy to lug about with me. Can any of you more exspeenced guys recomend a good one.

many thanks

gartmore

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 00:00
The biggest, sturdiest one you can afford and can carry, Manfrotto and Velbon are good IMO
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Keith Grant

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 02:22
My checklist:

- as Gartmore already said, big and sturdy
- can extend to a height that allows you to take photos without bending over, without using the centre pole
- ball head
- clips rather than screws for the leg releases
- (and here's where it gets tricky): light and slender enough that you'll actually carry it around.

My manfroto has taken lots of use and abuse and is still fantastic, if a little big for lugging.
Keith

K100D Super, DA 18-55, M 50 1.4, M 100 4 Macro

"The present is the object of vision, and what I see before me at any given second is a full field of color-patches scattered just so. The configuration will never be repeated." ~ Annie Dillard

Dwight-Morton

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 02:52
I have BENBO and don't if they are still being manufactured in ENGLAND as i got my one back in 1980's when I was in London on business and the company paid for it.

Gwyn

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 07:37
Choose a carbon fibre tripod if you can afford one. Choose one which is tall enough that you don't need to use the centre column, but which will also go low enough you can use it on the ground for macro if that is your thing. A removable centre column is useful. Choose one which can take the weight of the camera + your heaviest lens + the ball head + a bit extra.
Choose the best ball head you can afford. Good ball heads cost as much if not more than the tripod they are attached to.

Gitzo make superb tripods, Manfrotto and Velbon make more affordable tripod which are still very good. Benbo now only make one lightweight model. There are Chinese copies of Manfrotto/Gitzo tripods around under the name Benro. They also make ball heads. Depending on how you feel about these they are very good I'm told, but they do rely on stolen technology.

I have a Velbon Sherpa Pro CF 630 with a Markins Q ballhead. I am very happy woth this combo, although I miss clips on the legs (mine has screws). It is a rock solid combination and holds my Bigma with ease.

mikew

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 07:39
Speaking as the man with a tripod that isn't tall enough not to require the use of the central column I agree with teh comemnts above - get a tall one! Eye height seems to be essential.

Mike

Nimitz

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 07:47
I picked the Manfrotto 055Xpro - maily due to two things:

1) It is high enough for me to use without the center column

2) The center column can switch from vertical to horizontal. I use this a lot when doing macro.

I also use a ball head. Very easy to use.
www.mieritz.net

Mongoose

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 14:18
Gwyn wrote:
Benbo now only make one lightweight model.

Warehouseexpress are still showing stock of three models and the Benbo website shows models 1, 2, treker Mk3 and mini-treker.

Dad has one of the smaller Benbos for work and swears by it, he wont consider anything else.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Don

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 14:36
benbos are great. they are specialized tools, and as such are a little slow to set up and take down. Not the best for general use, but unbeatable for wildlife, macro, and hard to get to places.
I'd go with a manfrotto, and pistol grip for general use. A manfrotto video head if you like macro (the ones with the sliding camera plates are good for extreme macro focussing) or do video and photo...

I'm a creature of habit, and when something works well, I look no further, so I haven't really looked at anything else. (Gerri has a giotos, and it's ok, but I still like the manfrottos better)
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 15:35
There are two main requirements for a tripod:

1 It should be really heavy in order to dampen any vibrations from the camera, and stand up to gusts of wind and other annoyances

2 It should be really light so that you can lug it around easliy.

So there you have it. Decide which of the two is more important to you, and buy accordingly.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

jnasey

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 16:32
The Benbo have a learning curve but once mastered can be fast and just as easy as any tripod, but it is not light!

El Dingo

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 19:12
George Lazarette wrote:
There are two main requirements for a tripod:

1 It should be really heavy in order to dampen any vibrations from the camera, and stand up to gusts of wind and other annoyances

2 It should be really light so that you can lug it around easliy.

So there you have it. Decide which of the two is more important to you, and buy accordingly.

G

I agree wholeheartedly - I need *heavy* so I bought a Slik D700. I'm very happy with it, but it's not for lugging around!
El Dingo - K3-II and K10D

promhandicam

Link Posted 16/04/2008 - 23:49
If you want to do macro photography - flowers bugs etc. then you want a tripod that is very adjustable. Benbo fit the bill. I have a Manfrotto 190XPROB which like the 055Xpro mentioned by Nimitz is able to have the centre column swung out to a horizontal position which makes it much more flexible. The reason I went for the 190XPROB was that it fits into a suitcase which may be a consideration if you want to take it on your travels.

Steve

capabilities

Link Posted 17/04/2008 - 22:08
Thanks for all our replies and usefull information. I have looked on the web in an attempt to find out a little more about the Benro pods. They do look good value for money. Thinking about the M228n6 and the KS1 head. Would this be a good all round package or would you think it to be to light?

promhandicam

Link Posted 17/04/2008 - 22:13
I'm not sure about the benbo but on my manfrotto there is a hook under the head to enable you to hang your camera bag or other heavy object should you require more stability. That seems to be more sensible than lugging round a heavy tripod and a heavy camera bag

Steve
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.