What To Do With All These Pixels?

Dodge69

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 18:54
DrOrloff wrote:
The more I think about it the more I reckon Kris (Wombat) has the right idea with his film cameras.

Yes, and amazing how the keeper rate seems so higher when out with my MX?!

Indeed, my mum has a suitcase full of photos, all full of meaning & human interest. Even to a non-family member I'm sure. You look at them and it really makes all the discussions about Full Frame, sensors & megapixels seem soooo utterly ridiculous and removed from what photography is all about (and makes me think how 'landscapes' really are the smooth-jazz elevator music of photography.)

Vivian Maier does fit here. What an incredible hit rate, and what an incredible amount of 'hard drive's she left. But while she went to great lengths to store them, she never shared and I can only guess had no intention of ever doing so. Society can only be thankful her work and its records (and with such artistic merit) have been preserved.

Philosophically however, I believe it really is the artists prerogative what they do with their work. Whether they hoard, share, promote, or at the end of their lives burn everything in a bonfire.

No amount of criticism or gushing platitudes from others should matter. In the end, true 'value' comes from the artist looking and evaluating in the mirror of their own work IMO.

Would Maier approve of what has become of her legacy? The evidence suggest not. Would the great painters appreciate the X-rays to reveal the work under reused canvas? Would you approve if one day far in the future your hard drive was scanned to reconstruct deleted files for others prosperity?

I guess I would be flattered..... but only if it was ones I liked.
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

McGregNi

Link Posted 29/07/2013 - 22:04
Mongoose wrote:
it is undeniably the case that future generations will find it harder to look though Grandpa's JPGs than we currently do to explorer Grandpa's slides.

JPGs ??? What about Grandpa's .pefs? Switch to DNG now people !
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

Smeggypants

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 05:11
Dodge69 wrote:
DrOrloff wrote:
The more I think about it the more I reckon Kris (Wombat) has the right idea with his film cameras.

Yes, and amazing how the keeper rate seems so higher when out with my MX?!

Indeed, my mum has a suitcase full of photos, all full of meaning & human interest. Even to a non-family member I'm sure. You look at them and it really makes all the discussions about Full Frame, sensors & megapixels seem soooo utterly ridiculous and removed from what photography is all about (and makes me think how 'landscapes' really are the smooth-jazz elevator music of photography.)

Indeed. I've seen similar collections of old pics and it really puts into perspective how truly silly the K-5IIs evangelists really are.

I really hope your mum's pics are not lost to future generations.

Quote:

Vivian Maier does fit here. What an incredible hit rate, and what an incredible amount of 'hard drive's she left. But while she went to great lengths to store them, she never shared and I can only guess had no intention of ever doing so. Society can only be thankful her work and its records (and with such artistic merit) have been preserved.

Maybe she always intended to share and pass on , but was so engrossed in the snapping process she never got around to the process of sharing and making provision for a photographic legacy. We will never know, but I am so thankful that her work has been rescued from the landfill. I daren't even think about the stuff that has been lost forever. And you can bet there's a lot.

Quote:

Philosophically however, I believe it really is the artists prerogative what they do with their work. Whether they hoard, share, promote, or at the end of their lives burn everything in a bonfire.

No amount of criticism or gushing platitudes from others should matter. In the end, true 'value' comes from the artist looking and evaluating in the mirror of their own work IMO.

I agree that those who own the works have the right to do what they will with them, but that doesn't' mean they have the consensus of artistic value over them ...

Quote:

Would Maier approve of what has become of her legacy? The evidence suggest not. Would the great painters appreciate the X-rays to reveal the work under reused canvas? Would you approve if one day far in the future your hard drive was scanned to reconstruct deleted files for others prosperity?

I guess I would be flattered..... but only if it was ones I liked.

.... and I'm not so sure Vivian Maier would not have approved of her post mortem fame.

I think Vivian Maier was a true photographic artist. The fact that so many images she shot were not even developed proves her main focus was on the "getting out there", seeing "something inspiring" and "shooting it".

I would wager her mindset was such that while she would have loved to develop and catalogue her stuff that would mean less time available to go out and take pictures which she obviously loved. So rather than her not approving I think it was a matter of a not enough hours in the day.

Quote:
Would you approve if one day far in the future your hard drive was scanned to reconstruct deleted files for others prosperity?

yes
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

CMW

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 12:37
This century is the first to struggle with the challenge of the digitisation of images. It is not the first to deal with the problem of preservation, but selecting and keeping safe photographs that now need decoding adds a fresh layer of difficulty. We can expect the photographs that somehow become iconic to be preserved in perpetuity ... but the rest? Every advance in technology is likely to make formats we currently take for granted more inaccessible, and will often require a fresh decision on what is worth the trouble/expense of conversion. I really should digitise my father's rolls of 8mm film, for I no longer have a means of viewing them ... , mañana, mañana.

But the real problem is with 'undecoded' illustrations. The person who came across 65 glass negatives of (to us) unknown Ansel Adams photographs at a California garage sale in 2010 struck lucky, but at least he could see what he was buying. Buying an obsolete hard drive dramatically decreases already stratospheric odds of finding something of value.

An interesting attempt at a 'local/global' level to preserve the past can be found at http://www.historypin.com (perhaps a suitable site for Smeggy's photograph in this chain?). It relies of course on the continuation of the Internet, the absence of which is unimaginable to most of us today but the future of which is not preordained.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

Algernon

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 13:46
McGregNi wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
it is undeniably the case that future generations will find it harder to look though Grandpa's JPGs than we currently do to explorer Grandpa's slides.

JPGs ??? What about Grandpa's .pefs? Switch to DNG now people !

All my old movies inc. 8mm conversions are stored on..... Betamax!

'
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

McGregNi

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 14:25
In so many ways DNG is the perfect photo archival format, but of course you had to actually save the DNG when you shot the image (unlike JPEG capture when it deleted in camera).

This is due to excellent compactness in relation to the amount of image information recorded and also the wide range of metadata fields included and the increasing readability in more and more software.

The point is made above that we are assuming a lot in imagining that things will carry on for us for ever ... such as 'the internet'! And its also an assumption to imagine that todays DNGs will always be readable in future software, but it seems to be our best bet.

Algi, you reminded me about my video files as well - I have a mixture of camera original .avi / .mov, and edited output videos from Nero and Sony Vegas in .MTS / MPEG2 / MPEG4 formats. How secure are these in the longer term, even if I succeed in maintaining copies of them on workable drives and readable discs through the decades to come ???
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 30/07/2013 - 14:26

tyronet2000

Link Posted 30/07/2013 - 14:38
All Mrs Snap's instrument registrations for her yamaha keyboard are on 3½ floppy discs. No way to transfer them to the new keyboard except by hand copying from instrument to instrument. I think she has decided life is too short
Regards
Stan

PPG
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.