Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

What Screen resolution are you using?

This topic has a poll - login to enter
fatspider
Posted 08/06/2007 - 19:54 Link
Doesn't everyone crank up the res as high as the monitor will go :
Unless of course their visually impaired in which case its to what suits them.
Now where did my monitor go
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Tyr
Posted 08/06/2007 - 20:26 Link
impotentspider wrote:
Doesn't everyone crank up the res as high as the monitor will go :
Unless of course their visually impaired in which case its to what suits them.
Now where did my monitor go

Not if you have an LCD display... They only have one resolution...

My brother has an old 20" flat CRT which I'd like to use for photo work, just need to get it here somehow. It weighs half a ton...
Mannesty
Posted 08/06/2007 - 21:13 Link
Often, this problem is caused when CRT's are set to 60Hz refresh rate in offices having fluorescent lighting. Crt @ 60Hz + lighting @ 50Hz = 10Hz difference, which the eye/brain can detect and react to. This exact scenario used to cause me very bad headaches (literally) across the top of my eyes.

I discovered this years ago purely by accident when I used somebody elses screen and didn't suffer a headache. The reason was their screen was set to 70 or maybe 75Hz.

Remedy: Change the lighting to tungsten bulbs or increase the refresh rate of your monitor.

I've never experienced this issue with flat panels.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Tyr
Posted 08/06/2007 - 21:42 Link
Mannesty wrote:
Often, this problem is caused when CRT's are set to 60Hz refresh rate in offices having fluorescent lighting. Crt @ 60Hz + lighting @ 50Hz = 10Hz difference, which the eye/brain can detect and react to. This exact scenario used to cause me very bad headaches (literally) across the top of my eyes.

I discovered this years ago purely by accident when I used somebody elses screen and didn't suffer a headache. The reason was their screen was set to 70 or maybe 75Hz.

Remedy: Change the lighting to tungsten bulbs or increase the refresh rate of your monitor.

I've never experienced this issue with flat panels.

TFT pannels don't have a refresh rate because they don't draw the image. They still update in lines because that is how GPUs work, but they could update in one go given enough bandwidth. The cold cathode tube behind a TFT pannel runs on DC therefore not 'flashing'.

One bad thing is cold cathode TFTs use a polariser, LED TFTs have no need for one which is one reason they produce better colours.
Mongoose
Posted 08/06/2007 - 22:48 Link
for me the low refresh thing is not so much a headache problem, it's an annoyance. I can see the flicker of a 60hz CRT out of the corner of my eye. 75 is much better, 85 is great.

So when I used to have a CRT monitor I always had it set to the highest res it could do at 85Hz, which on my 17" was 1024x768.
SPB
Posted 09/06/2007 - 21:26 Link
1280x1024 at 60 on a 17.4" TFT LCD
George Lazarette
Posted 09/06/2007 - 21:38 Link
SPB wrote:

That would hurt my eyes. The recommended minimum refresh rate, if I recall correctly, is 75.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
SPB
Posted 09/06/2007 - 21:55 Link
All other rates are grayed out at that resolution, so no choice there.

I sometimes go back to 1024x768 at 75.
George Lazarette
Posted 09/06/2007 - 22:48 Link
SPB wrote:
All other rates are grayed out at that resolution, so no choice there.

I sometimes go back to 1024x768 at 75.

I select the resolution that makes almost all websites readable and has a refresh rate of at least 85.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Mongoose
Posted 09/06/2007 - 23:20 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
SPB wrote:

That would hurt my eyes. The recommended minimum refresh rate, if I recall correctly, is 75.

G

On a CRT, couldn't agree more

on a TFT refresh rate makes no difference since the panel doesn't refresh the way CRTs do, you don't get flicker on a TFT.

In fact, my (admittedly cheap) TFT gives a blurred image at 75Hz and crystal clear at 60, so you really can't apply CRT thinking about refresh rates to TFTs.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.