What's wrong with some people

sandinista

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 16:06
I was a having nice 7 mile walk today with my K-x just minding my own business when I was verbally assualted by a Farmer. All I had done was point my camera at a barn with some cows in when he stormed over shouting "can I help you" but in an aggressive manner.

I explained I was a photographer and offered him my website and contact details which illiceted an response of "don't get f***n clever". My further offer of the same information seemed to rile him even more as I got the same response.

Can't quite understand what I had done to upset him. I felt quite threatened by this stage so I chose to beat a retreat. Very strange.
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website
Last Edited by sandinista on 30/01/2011 - 16:09

johnriley

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 16:16
Interesting, did you ask him what the problem was?
Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 16:18
were you on his property?
two simple issues....
stay off his property, and don't sell or publish images of private property without a release. So it is always best to ask them nicely to sign the release when approached...

Lastly, you can place a person under citizens arrest (check your local statutes) and or lay charges if he threatened you, or acted threateningly towards you. You have rights. His rights to tell you what you can and cannot do, ended at the property line...

Me? I'd have either told him right off and/or invited him to step off his property onto the public road to continue the discussion.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 30/01/2011 - 16:22

geordie01

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 16:24
maybe he had something else in the barn other than cows

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 16:31
Maybe the cows where 'under age'?
Honestly, I NEVER had this. As most know I had a couple of very strange situations but that was with the 'law' itself but not with people threatening me.
Strange one that is. You still can press charges for threatening behavior but I am not sure how far you would get.
DON: not everyone is physically able to 'continue the discussion' and it sometimes is better to just move on.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

Don

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 16:37
SmutjeUK wrote:
Honestly, I NEVER had this. As most know I had a couple of very strange situations but that was with the 'law' itself but not with people threatening me.
Strange one that is. You still can press charges for threatening behavior but I am not sure how far you would get.
DON: not everyone is physically able to 'continue the discussion' and it sometimes is better to just move on.

all the more reason why those who can should.
You are walking around in public, doing nothing illegal, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE LEFT IN PEACE... but some people cannot or will not respect that. I would fight even if thought I would not likely win... the authorities will set him straight about attacking people...... and the experience will likely deter him from trying the same thing on the next person strolling by...
Last Edited by Don on 30/01/2011 - 16:42

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 16:41
I have to say it would be nice to have you about as a body guard at some times.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

Don

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 16:44
SmutjeUK wrote:
I have to say it would be nice to have you about as a body guard at some times.

I've heard that before...

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, that predicts the outcome, it's the size of the fight that is in the dog....
Last Edited by Don on 30/01/2011 - 16:45

dougf8

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 17:32
in the UK, You can say "No you can't help me, leave me alone, I'm photographing that barn over there."

On a public right of way, marked footpath, bridleway, road etc you have a perfect right to photograph anything and anybody you can see. Buildings, people, barns etc..

There is no right to privacy where there is a public right of way.

However, do it on more than one occasion, you might start to be considered to be harassing the poor farmer. Causing him alarm, though as a business he might have a bit of trouble claiming that one.

On the flip side, another day another walk and should he approach you when you haven't got your camera the harassing boot might well be on his foot.

As a man who may well hold a gun licence it would be worth considering dropping your experience in to the police for consideration when his licence and home checks are due. Last thing we need are unnecessarily aggressive gun owners, suspicious of people going about their normal activities.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 30/01/2011 - 17:43

Smeggypants

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 17:44
My guess is that he was venting some other personal issues in his life at you.

I don't advise trying to reason with people who are in an unstable frame of mind as that farmer guy obviously was. Best just to move on
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Smeggypants

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 17:45
SmutjeUK wrote:

"Won't somebody think of the calves!"
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Don

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 17:53
Smeggypants wrote:
SmutjeUK wrote:

"Won't somebody think of the calves!"

now you guys are being udderly rediculous....
I'd be more worried about the guy that wants to milk the bull....
Last Edited by Don on 30/01/2011 - 17:54

sandinista

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 17:57
johnriley wrote:
Interesting, did you ask him what the problem was?

I can assure you he wasn't in the frame of mind for reasoned debate, I thought it wise just to get on my way.

The incident took place on a public footpath which ran along the farm track.
Smeggypants wrote:
My guess is that he was venting some other personal issues in his life at you.

I don't advise trying to reason with people who are in an unstable frame of mind as that farmer guy obviously was. Best just to move on

He was obviously simmering with resentment against something or someone and I think I just happened to be the target that copped for it.

As the place was in the middle of nowhere the rational part of me decided not to get further embroiled.
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 30/01/2011 - 18:08

thoramay

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 18:03
As a decrepid oldie with a pronounced limp, I can easily be stereotyped as something I am not. Putting a camera to my eye can evoke some interesting reactions.
I have had two similar situations. My response has been to hold up my hand and say 'just wait a minute until I switch to video mode and then you had better be sure you are can back up your issue with my camera.'
It had a sobering effect that led to a sensible conversation where I was able to explain what I was actually doing.

sandinista

Link Posted 30/01/2011 - 18:04
dougf8 wrote:
As a man who may well hold a gun licence it would be worth considering dropping your experience in to the police for consideration when his licence and home checks are due. Last thing we need are unnecessarily aggressive gun owners, suspicious of people going about their normal activities.

Good poin,t I am actually considering reporting it to the Police. I am not a person who rattles easily but I sensed a serious threatening and very aggressive undercurrent in this encounter.

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.