Sellers of high value items on ebay beware!

prsjnb

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 22:22
For the first time I learned something potentially useful from the 'Money' section of the Grauniad today (29.01.11).

If you sell a high value item (150.00 or more) on ebay and accept payment via PayPal, be wary if the buyer subsequently ask if they can collect in person. It transpires that a payment once made, even if it has appeared in your PayPal account, can be cancelled and that there is a clause which excludes local collections for high value items from its seller protection programme

You have been well and truly warned

Jon.

Mike-P

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 22:57
Payment can be cancelled and a chargeback made on any item that is collected in person and money paid into Paypal.

This is because Paypal demand tracked proof of delivery no matter what so if you don't have it and the buyer says they didn't receive the item (even if you know they collected it) then a chargeback can be made and the money refunded.

Quite an old scam now.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Clarky

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 23:04
It goes without saying, you simply don't allow payment by Paypal or Bank deposit for that matter, if it's a pickup item, CASH ONLY, Paypal require proof of delivery, there is no proof of delivery for pickup, so if the buyer does pay by these means he can then turn around and say he didn't recieve it and will win his case every time,

So many people get caught out this way, you need to read and then re-read all of Ebays and Paypals terms and conditions, better still go into the members forum and read some of the horror stories in there.

E-Bay and paypal can be a rewarding experience but you must know how it all works first and how the scammers are able too circumvent the rules.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|

malvern_man

Link Posted 29/01/2011 - 23:17
Quote:
It goes without saying, you simply don't allow payment by Paypal or Bank deposit for that matter, if it's a pickup item, CASH ONLY, Paypal require proof of delivery, there is no proof of delivery for pickup, so if the buyer does pay by these means he can then turn around and say he didn't recieve it and will win his case every time.

That's very good advice from Clarky.

If I have 'pick up' only sales, no matter what the amount I always insist on cash on collection.

Sometimes a buyer will ask me if they can pick it up and pay cash, this not only saves them postage costs but it also saves me paying PayPal fees.

Regards, Chris.
Gripped Pentax K5 & K5II / Gripped Pentax K20D / Gripped Samsung GX10 and a growing collection of lenses.
My Website

cabstar

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 08:52
the same goes for buying goods on forums, under no circumstances pay for goods using gift payment.

this method should be used for gifting money only and paying for high value goods with this method will get your account suspended instantly pending paypal invedtigation.

the sellers funds will also get frozen.

most likely outcome? the buyer will get his money back, causing you untold grievances from an irate seller.

sellers also be aware....
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 09:05
cabstar wrote:
the same goes for buying goods on forums, under no circumstances pay for goods using gift payment.

this method should be used for gifting money only and paying for high value goods with this method will get your account suspended instantly pending paypal invedtigation.

most likely outcome? the buyer will get his money back, causing you untold grievances from an irate seller.

sellers also be aware....

So, if this is so (and no doubt here that I take your word for it as PayPal is at the best of its time very annoying).
That's why I always write in the message box something like 'Thanks for lending me the money the other day' or something that makes it clear I personal owe the money and it is not any business transaction), but back to what I wanted to know is, What would be the best way in your eyes then to pay via PayPal for an item (I stick here with PayPal as most of us have got this set-up in any way).
Would Google be better?
Bank transfer would be always the best, but the advise is NOT to give out banking details.
Cheques, if you still got them take ages.
Cash is for 99% out of question.
So what would your ideal payment method be?
Wherever you look and however you do it there is always a risk involved.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

Clarky

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 09:14
cabstar wrote:

Can you give a little more detail on this, I find this difficult to comprehend. Do you have a link.
Why does it matter if it's the seller or the buyer who pays the fee!!
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|

johnriley

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 09:23
It's all a bit academic really, because when you pay someone you can opt to pay the fees.

There's no need to try and dodge the issue, although I suppose it's because there is no fee either side for a personal payment not related to goods.
Best regards, John

Clarky

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 10:05
johnriley wrote:
It's all a bit academic really, because when you pay someone you can opt to pay the fees.

There's no need to try and dodge the issue, although I suppose it's because there is no fee either side for a personal payment not related to goods.

Really, where is that option? is that the "payment owed" option under the personal tab. Are you saying if you use that option, nobody pays the fee?? I have never used anything other than the gift option and the buyer pays that fee.

johnriley

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 10:14
Without checking I can't tell you offhand, but what I can tell you is that before now I have had the option to pay the fee.

I was under the impression that gifts were free on both sides?
Best regards, John

Clarky

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 10:22
johnriley wrote:
Without checking I can't tell you offhand, but what I can tell you is that before now I have had the option to pay the fee.

I was under the impression that gifts were free on both sides?

The buyer definately pays the fee for the gift option, just not sure on the other options in there.

Thanks anyway John, I guess we have gone a little off topic because I still can't understand how your account can be frozen if you use the "Gift" option as Cabstar suggests, I have had a look in the Paypal T&Cs and can not find anything.

thoughton

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 11:15
I was under the (very possibly mistaken) impression that PayPal gift was free if you had a positive balance in your PayPal account, otherwise if it triggered a debit from your bank account or credit card then they would charge the gift-giver the fee.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 31/01/2011 - 11:16

cabstar

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 11:28
gift transactions are free of fees both ways which is why paypal investigate large gift sums.

i paid for a camera i bought on this forum. i colected the camera & paid using paypal on my phone in the sellers house. he checked his paypal account & all was good.

when i got home there was an email from paypal waiting for me telling me my account has been frozen pending investigation into the gift payment. i couldnt withdraw any funds or buy anything this took 10 days to sort out & paypal refunded the payment to me. meaning i ha d the cash & camera. so i then had to pay the seller by bank. transfer. but an unscrupulous person could Use this to their advantage.

so sellers be warned accepting gift paym en ts. there are options to send cash with the buyer paying fees & would advice using that method.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Clarky

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 11:46
It's not true what you are saying, I have a positive balance paypal account and I have used the "gift" option on over 200 transactions for goods purchased and I always pay the fee, granted it's about 1% but it's still a fee.

Cabstar, I am not sure what happened with your transaction but it wasn't because of the gift option, there must be more too it.

Quote:
so sellers be warned accepting gift payments. there are options to send cash with the buyer paying fees & would advice using that method.

I am confused by this comment, aren't they one and the same?? please clarify ??

greynolds999

Link Posted 31/01/2011 - 12:12
When I sold my Pentax gear I asked everyone to pay by Gift.

After about four transactions I received an email from PayPal warning me that if I did this again (within the next two years, I think it was) that my account would be suspended.

PayPal is a commercial organisation so they are within their rights. I normally ask for a direct bank transfer. It's free and far more secure in most ways.
My Photobucket
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.