What happens when new top end model comes out?

J2R

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 11:41
Given that I'm pondering buying a K30 or K5, I'm wondering whether I should hold off until the new model is announced, assuming it will be at some point in October (as people seem to think). This is on the basis that retailers would discount some of their older stock, and that some serious users might want to upgrade and off-load their older camera. Is this what actually tends to happen, though?

johnriley

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 11:56
Prices have already tumbled, so that's a good sign that something is happening. Sometimes we just have to jump in and it's a matter of judgement.

There's something I call the "trigger price" by which I mean the price at which you just buy regardless. The MX-1 hit my trigger price the other day and I just bought it. It's coupled with need of course. Currently the K-5 has no trigger price for me, or a ludicrously low one, as I already have one. If I saw a new K-01 for 99 then I just might have to buy that, whether I need it or not.
Best regards, John

sbrads

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 14:48
The MX-1 looks fantastic for very good easy to take macro shots, the lens is superb - I'm tempted. If only it had a viewfinder.

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 14:49
J2R,

I'm in the same position as yourself although my birthday isn't until November and what with Christmas following hard on its heels I can afford to wait a bit longer before committing...probably to a K30.

Talking of 'trigger prices'... for the K30 with 18-55WR kit lens i'm looking at 399.
If the K5 body only dropped to 399 that would make me pause and think, as would a price of 599 on the K5II !

Aitch53

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 16:16
sbrads wrote:
The MX-1 looks fantastic for very good easy to take macro shots, the lens is superb - I'm tempted. If only it had a viewfinder.

Yeah, something that looked even more like my old MX, but with an EVF instead of being an SLR. A more reasonably priced equivalent to the Olympus OM-D*? I'd definitely be interested in that!

* does that name remind anyone else of a certain Liverpool electro-pop band from the late 70s? Or is it just me?
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

MattyH

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 16:25
Dont hold your breath, as i have just had a play with a the new Pentax and i cant see many K5 owners whether that be original or mark ii, trading up.

As for the MX1 it is a lovely camera and feels just great in the hand, the lack of viewfinder hasnt bothered me once as the tiltable screen is superb and in some situations better then any viewfinder

johnriley

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 16:47
I used to hate the viewfinders in "compact" 35mm cameras, so it beats me why anyone would want one.

We didn't hanker after a viewfinder with a Rollei TLR, which had a screen that you viewed at waist level. The new electronic screens are brighter and better than the Rollei.
Best regards, John

Mike-P

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 16:55
MattyH wrote:
Dont hold your breath, as i have just had a play with a the new Pentax and i cant see many K5 owners whether that be original or mark ii, trading up.

That sounds ominous ..... ??
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

Mongoose

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 16:56
it used to bother me long ago when activating the screen on a digiral compact meant burning the battery in about 15 minutes. These days the screens are so much more efficient, it doesn't matter anymore. In fact in the majority of cases the screen is better than a compact viewfinder because you don't have issues with paralax and zooming.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

johnriley

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 17:12
Quote:

It also sounds a bit mischievous - if there's an embargo on the information then nothing should be said at all.
Best regards, John

CMW

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 17:24
[quote:3496ace15f="johnriley"]
Quote:
if there's an embargo on the information then nothing should be said at all.

Edward Snowden take note
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

MattyH

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 17:40
johnriley wrote:
Quote:

It also sounds a bit mischievous - if there's an embargo on the information then nothing should be said at all.

No embargo, just a pre production model for marketing research, due to the launch being less then 30 working days away and everything being registered under eu and international patent rules, also stock and shareholders consulted and informed, anybody can say or do anything now,

You would not believe how many of these new cameras there are floating about the world as we speak.

As for my thoughts and it was only a personal one as a K5 owner, as they say in Dragons Den "I will not be investing,and I am out"

MattyH

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 17:42
CMW wrote:
[quote:3496ace15f="johnriley"]
Quote:
if there's an embargo on the information then nothing should be said at all.

Edward Snowden take note

Apparently he uses a Q to

malcolmk

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 17:47
Mike-P wrote:
MattyH wrote:

It doesn't make a lot of sense. In the 'Views from PU's who have upgraded from K5 to K5IIS' thread several people have detailed how their K5ii was a worthwhile upgrade from the older version and now we are supposed to believe the K3 will be unattractive to those of us who stuck with the original model.

I shall go for it if it focusses some of my lenses without the hunting (and occasional giving up) I get now. I suspect Chris is going to get an early order from me.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 27/09/2013 - 17:51
johnriley wrote:
which had a screen that you viewed at waist level.

That's how I use these tiltable screens too. In some situations, preferable to an eye level VF.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.