what film camera to get??

chaude

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 09:58
I'm completely new to film photography, as I have only worked with digital, and in a few months time I'll probably be backpacking and would like to get an extra camera and think it would be a film one so I can stick my 43mm ltd on it and use it as a point and shoot at times.
Are there any good recommendations as I don't know anything about the film bodies. I don't think I'll bother using MF when I'm going light and fast so preferably AF, and the smaller the body the better it is.
Also if I'm just taking pictures of general city/culture life, what kind of film would be easy to source and has a good quality? or shall I just pick a few rolls up from Boots

Thank you!

womble

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 10:09
Camera... I'm not good on the newer AF bodies although I have heard the MZ-6 is a good choice.

Film. No, don't get it in Boots, the choice is awful. Colour or BW? For colour, Ektar 100 is lovely if a little slow. BW: I'd go with Delta 100 if you have plenty of light and Kodak BW400CN if the light levels are lower. It is also very tolerant of exposure errors. Set your ASA dial to 320 for the best results.

A very good place to buy is Silverprint.

Welcome to the wonderful world of film.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Steve Chasey

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 13:04
Adrian - you live over the river from me, judging by the info in your location header.

Happy to lend you one of my duplicate bodies MZ50 (fully functional copies) or an MZ5 (flash doesn't pop up - spring's gone) if you want to 'try before you by'.

PM me if your interested - drive by your part of town every night on the way home from the Uni.

Steve
In the Pack - Gripped K5 (SE),K7 & K20, Gripped MZ-S(SE)& MZ-S,DA10-17, DA12-24, DA14, DA*16-50, 50-135, 60-250 & 300mm; FA31mm/43mm/77mm Ltds; Sigma 8-16, 135-400 & 150-500
Half Backs: K10+BG,DA16-45, DA50-200
Backs: LXs,Super As and lots of A, M & K lenses
Impact Subs: 28mm Shift, K 135-600 (the Banahan of Pentax zooms ), 400-600 Reflex

Dangermouse

Link Posted 09/02/2011 - 14:59
I suspect you'll want one of the MZ series bodies, and as you're planning to use the 43mm I'd suggest going for one which supports the aperture ring (much, much easier than flicking a control dial).

In general the single digit MZ bodies are better specified than the double digit ones. Have a look here for specifications.

There is a battery grip available for the MZ bodies to allow the use of AAs rather than CR2 cells, but it does make them a bit taller so this might not fit with your aim for a compact walkabout camera. Worth buying if you see one though, there were loads being sold from the USA brand new for under £10 including postage a while ago.

As for film I like Ilford HP5 for black and white. It's 400 ISO, very tolerant, and produces crisp, contrasty images without noticeable graininess. I find it works very well for handheld shooting year-round. If you decide you want to get into it a ten pack can be bought for £32 via Amazon, and I reckon it eventually costs me about £4-£5 per roll to cover the film and a share of the chemicals to develop it at home.

I still buy slide film from Boots, it's pretty decent stuff IMO. I suspect it's a rebranded Fuji product and it's good for a bit of nostalgia. 200ISO and perfectly acceptable results, although I do notice the limitations of my film scanner when I compare the scanned images to the projected originals.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

RMURPHY195

Link Posted 13/02/2011 - 12:18
I've used an MZ5n for a few years now, allows fully automatic exposure and focussing at one end of the scale, and fully manual at the other. It's also very light.

Put on an old Pentax manual lens, put it into autofocus mode, point at the subject and hold the shutter open - shutter won't fire until subject comes into focus. Very useful.

Only problem is the spring goes on the pop-up flash!

I'm just going digital, and not sure yet if I'm going to sell my body (the MZ5N that is!), but let me know if you are interested.

I always get my film from 7dayshop.com, worth a look

Sandehalynch

Link Posted 13/02/2011 - 13:00
I have a brace of MZ-5n. Very worthy camera, and cheap now. I bought an MZ-5 shortly after it first came out and that cost me £500 or more in 1997. You can pick up good ones for less than £30 these days.

If you didn't want AF then I'd recommend a well-serviced MX or even an LX if you could run to that.
www.sandehalynch.com

fatspider

Link Posted 13/02/2011 - 13:20
You need the MZ7 (I have one for sale)

Seriously though, the MZ7 is slightly lighter than the MZ6, I could also put in a vote for the MZ5n but the MZ7 is THE most "lens" compatable camera Pentax have ever made (I think the 6 is the same), you can use M lenses without problem right through to modern lenses without the aperture ring, even SDM lenses will work via the screw drive, the only downside is you may get vignetting with DA lenses, especially the wider ones, but your going to get that on any film camera.

In addition to the modes on the MZ6 the 7 has additional scene modes so you could easilly give it to a non photographer to use, downside is no DoF preview
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Last Edited by fatspider on 13/02/2011 - 13:22

chaude

Link Posted 13/02/2011 - 14:15
As it appears to be, Steve and I live nearby and in fact are at the same places during working hours so he's very kindly let me borrow his MZ5 to have a play with! I guess I'll have a play with that, as all I need is a simple AF P&S that'll work as a backup!
Thanks a lot for the advice guys =D
Next week will be time to get a cheap roll of film and see what I get =D

michaelblue

Link Posted 13/02/2011 - 20:08
Don't forget the ist* film camera, in my opinion the best (and last) of the autofocus film cameras from Pentax!
I still use mine....LOVE IT!
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

chaude

Link Posted 13/02/2011 - 23:43
oh ok, a bit more of googling around, what about the sfx and similar models? just thought I'd ask since no one has mentioned them, and they seem to look quite good

womble

Link Posted 14/02/2011 - 05:02
I have an SF7. Built like a tank, works well although the low light metering is annoying, ugly as sin.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Dangermouse

Link Posted 14/02/2011 - 08:29
Problem with the *ist is that it has the crippled K mount, so won't work with anything earlier than A series lenses. I also find it a lot more fiddly to set aperture on the body than it is to just turn the aperture ring.

The SF series are good cameras, just huge and heavy. The SFX was the upmarket one of the two with various extras, it can also use a different grip to take AA batteries. Often found with the Pentax-F 35-70mm which is also a great lens for your DSLR.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

johnriley

Link Posted 14/02/2011 - 09:00
MZ-5 and MZ-3 cameras were top of the line and both have conventional shutter speed dials. This will suit MX and LX users as well as those who like screw thread bodies.

My last film camera is currently an MZ-3 and I intend to keep it. One day I may even put a film through it.
Best regards, John

felix

Link Posted 14/02/2011 - 12:45
chaude wrote:
I'm completely new to film photography, as I have only worked with digital, and in a few months time I'll probably be backpacking and would like to get an extra camera and think it would be a film one so I can stick my 43mm ltd on it and use it as a point and shoot at times.
Are there any good recommendations as I don't know anything about the film bodies. I don't think I'll bother using MF when I'm going light and fast so preferably AF, and the smaller the body the better it is.
Also if I'm just taking pictures of general city/culture life, what kind of film would be easy to source and has a good quality? or shall I just pick a few rolls up from Boots

Thank you!

You could go for the MZ-6 or the ZX-L (USA) version. I have the MZ-S and used to have the MZ-M (All Manual Body).

On a further note, the older Z series like the Z-1, Z-20 were good cameras in their time too. I used to own the Z-20 and the Z-1SE
K1/K3, DA*16-50mm F2.8, FA 31mm F1.8, FA43mm F1.9 Limited, FA77mm F1.8 Limited, SMC Pentax K 85mm F1.8, DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6, FA*28-70mm F1.8, FA*200mm F1.8
Last Edited by felix on 14/02/2011 - 12:53

ppaul_l

Link Posted 14/02/2011 - 16:22
I have a MZ-50 and a Z-10 for point and shoot and prefer the Z-10 out of the 2, but I still prefer my old ME Super even though its not auto focus. just not meant for point and shoot but I still find it more pleasure to use. The mz-50 is good if you want something that doesnt matter if you break it though because they are so cheap to get off Ebay now.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.