What about a Wiki?

greynolds999
Posted 17/06/2009 - 09:24 Link
I was wondering what people felt about trying to get a Wiki on the site? I don't know how practical it would be and would need some degree of administration, but think of all the forum knowledge we are losing?

(If anyone who isn't aware, a Wiki is a webpage that anyone on the forum would be able to edit).

We could have sections on how to use the site, how various Pentax models work, history, techniques, etc. It would be useful to have something purely aimed at Pentax?

Thoughts?
George Lazarette
Posted 18/06/2009 - 02:00 Link
I think the problem with this is that to a large extent it would probably duplicate existing sources of information. We have Boz, and Stan, and the AOHC, and various lens review sites, etc., etc..

Unless you put a lot of effort into it, it will probably be eclipsed by existing sites.

But having said that, Stan's site is seriously out of date. If you were to produce a modern Stan, it might prove to be very popular.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Anvh
Posted 18/06/2009 - 13:04 Link
It might put an end on FAQ such as which flash to buy is a great example.
If you could write your own personal review about a lens like on pentaxforums.com then it might be worth it. Lets see what others think, we could give it a try right.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
stevejcoe
Posted 18/06/2009 - 13:22 Link
George Lazarette wrote:
I think the problem with this is that to a large extent it would probably duplicate existing sources of information. We have Boz, and Stan, and the AOHC, and various lens review sites, etc., etc..

Unless you put a lot of effort into it, it will probably be eclipsed by existing sites.

But having said that, Stan's site is seriously out of date. If you were to produce a modern Stan, it might prove to be very popular.

G
George, I always refer to Stan's for reviews of older lenses and agree that it would be great to have an updated equivalent on this site. Some of the reviews on Pentax Forums are quite good, but others are poor, with overall ratings often being scewed, by how much someone paid for a particular lens.

Anvh wrote:
It might put an end on FAQ such as which flash to buy is a great example.
Exactly Stefan, there are several recurring questions asked by new users when they join the forum. A succinct definitive answer for each, might save a lot of time and be of real benefit.

Steve
hefty1
Posted 18/06/2009 - 15:01 Link
stevejcoe wrote:
Exactly Stefan, there are several recurring questions asked by new users when they join the forum. A succinct definitive answer for each, might save a lot of time and be of real benefit.
This is another point that's been discussed here before and I'm one of those of the opinion that new members should be encouraged to ask questions, even if they've been covered a thousand times before, as that's what keeps the forum alive.

If every question had already been answered and those answers were easy to find, then there would be no incentive to newbies to join up and take part. Nor would there be any opportunitys for the longer-established among us to jump on our personal hobby-horses every time our favourite subject arose.

FAQ's and their like are certainly convenient but they are also a little "cold" (in my opinion) so I for one wouldn't be keen on seeing this particular site becoming a host to them.
Joining the Q
Gwyn
Posted 18/06/2009 - 15:09 Link
I have to agree with Hefty on this.
johnriley
Posted 18/06/2009 - 15:20 Link
Quote:
A succinct definitive answer for each, might save a lot of time and be of real benefit.
There is often no such thing as there are different viewpoints that are equally valid.

I've asked before whose definitive answer should we have? Mine? Someone else's?

The strength of a dscussion forum is that we can constantly discuss and re-appraise as we go.
Best regards, John
Anvh
Posted 18/06/2009 - 15:36 Link
It might seem a bit cold but I can see that my answers are getting shorter and shorter every time I write them down, i find that colder to be honest. It's a personal problem but I believe I'm not the only one.

What we do with most questions is write down our own experience about some photo equipment so why not write down your own review about it and use the wiki to display it, just like Pentaxforums have for their lenses.
It works quite well and I always look there for some feedback on a lens.
This can of course also be applied on flashes, cameras, tripods and maybe even filters.
Simply what you like about it and what not.
Someone can draw their own conclusions on that and would be able to ask specific questions.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
stevejcoe
Posted 18/06/2009 - 15:44 Link
I am with Stefan on this. There are cases when there is a clear answer. For instance how to use pre 'A' series lenses on a K10, 20 ect. We might all use slightly different terminology, but the answer remains the same. I don't see how making that information readily available and easy to find could be considered cold.

Where questions are asked and and answers are dictated by personal preference and bias, then that is a different matter, but that is not what I think Stefan is advocating here.

Steve
Edited by stevejcoe: 18/06/2009 - 15:55
Unlocker
Posted 18/06/2009 - 15:48 Link
There will never be a clear cut answer for everything, as an example, yesterday I saw someone ask the question 'K-7 or iPhone 3G S'.

Normally I would always say, use the search button, then if you can't find what you are looking for, or need help, please do ask away!
stevejcoe
Posted 18/06/2009 - 15:58 Link
I would also add, that we have a number of stickies ranging from basic RAW and Flash guides to how to upload a picture that both old and new users have found useful.

I read a comment earlier in the week that an announcement may have been missed due to the lagre numbers of stickies.

Perhaps we need some reorganisation of the forum with some new categorisation?

Steve
Anvh
Posted 18/06/2009 - 16:30 Link
Unlocker wrote:
Normally I would always say, use the search button, then if you can't find what you are looking for, or need help, please do ask away!
Altight I want some info about which 50mm lens is the best, good luck searching it's a long list.

Also with wiki for example with a lens, you can put the facts and numbers down and then you as user can write under it your comments on the lens. That part will be personal but anyone can write there own review of the lens so it's fair and you more sides. It shouldn't be a place to discuss.

You also have the space to upload photos so that would also be very handy
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo