Weekly Comp Discussion 145 - Retro!
Posted 18/04/2010 - 10:10
Link
Barrie; you said My argument being that a BMC mini made now is a reproduction, not a retrospective
I replied:I thought "Reproduction" was reproducing something to its original design
The New MIni is not a "Reproduction" of the original design.
If Pentax produced a digital or film camera that looked (outwardly) exactly like a Spotmatic then it could be said it was a "Reproduction" if however it produced a clearly modern looking DSLR which clearly had the aesthetic looks of a Spotmatic then they would call the design "Retrospective"
I replied:I thought "Reproduction" was reproducing something to its original design
The New MIni is not a "Reproduction" of the original design.
If Pentax produced a digital or film camera that looked (outwardly) exactly like a Spotmatic then it could be said it was a "Reproduction" if however it produced a clearly modern looking DSLR which clearly had the aesthetic looks of a Spotmatic then they would call the design "Retrospective"
Posted 18/04/2010 - 10:26
Link
BMC is the old one. BMW is the new one. I think we are saying the same thing.
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 18/04/2010 - 10:39
Link
mikew wrote:
Tony - my thoughts as well, which is one reason why I haven't entered (yet) as I cannot locate anything suitable. I'm not certain than more than a couple of entries meet that requirement so far.
Mike
I agree with you both and until this morning had not found anything suitable that I thought met the criteria
Tony - my thoughts as well, which is one reason why I haven't entered (yet) as I cannot locate anything suitable. I'm not certain than more than a couple of entries meet that requirement so far.
Mike
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 18/04/2010 - 12:01
Link
Retro is something that is new but has an old design right, like the new Mini for example and the new Pentax i10?
Posted 18/04/2010 - 12:06
Link
What people mean by retro, which is after all a slang word, is much broader than Mike's purist 'product design' definition. I hope that the following gives some guidance on what people mean by 'retro'.
Quote:
Usage
Retro can be used to simply mean old fashioned or old, functioning much like timeless or classic. It has also been associated with modernism in the immediate post-war years, encompassing an aesthetic that ranges from tailfins on Cadillacs to ranch houses. Sometimes, it can also suggest an entire outlook on life, for example, social conservatism, home schooling, or the embrace of traditional gender roles.
Retro can also be applied to forms of technological obsolescence, for example, manual typewriters, cash registers, bulky hand-held cell phones, or the resurrection of old computer games.
But most commonly, retro is used to describe objects and attitudes from the recent past that no longer seem modern. It suggests a fundamental shift in the way we relate to the past. Different from more traditional forms of revivalism, retro suggests a half ironic, half longing consideration of the recent past. It has been called an unsentimental nostalgia, recalling modern forms that are no longer current. "Retro" sometimes also refers to the fifties era.
Today it is often used in a positive sense, referring to quirky or attractive products that are no longer available. For example, "Retro fashion" or "Retro Chic" may consist of outdated styles, such as tie-dyed shirts from the 1960s, or poodle skirts from the 1950s. A love of retro objects (things from the past) is called retrophilia. Retro often reflects a sensibility aligned with camp. Camp is an ironic attitude, an explicit re-introduction of non-dominant forms.
Usage
Retro can be used to simply mean old fashioned or old, functioning much like timeless or classic. It has also been associated with modernism in the immediate post-war years, encompassing an aesthetic that ranges from tailfins on Cadillacs to ranch houses. Sometimes, it can also suggest an entire outlook on life, for example, social conservatism, home schooling, or the embrace of traditional gender roles.
Retro can also be applied to forms of technological obsolescence, for example, manual typewriters, cash registers, bulky hand-held cell phones, or the resurrection of old computer games.
But most commonly, retro is used to describe objects and attitudes from the recent past that no longer seem modern. It suggests a fundamental shift in the way we relate to the past. Different from more traditional forms of revivalism, retro suggests a half ironic, half longing consideration of the recent past. It has been called an unsentimental nostalgia, recalling modern forms that are no longer current. "Retro" sometimes also refers to the fifties era.
Today it is often used in a positive sense, referring to quirky or attractive products that are no longer available. For example, "Retro fashion" or "Retro Chic" may consist of outdated styles, such as tie-dyed shirts from the 1960s, or poodle skirts from the 1950s. A love of retro objects (things from the past) is called retrophilia. Retro often reflects a sensibility aligned with camp. Camp is an ironic attitude, an explicit re-introduction of non-dominant forms.
Posted 18/04/2010 - 12:08
Link
Anvh wrote:
Retro is something that is new but has an old design right, like the new Mini for example and the new Pentax i10?
Exactly right Stefan IMHO
Retro is something that is new but has an old design right, like the new Mini for example and the new Pentax i10?
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 18/04/2010 - 12:12
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
What people mean by retro, which is after all a slang word, is much broader than Mike's purist 'product design' definition..............................
It is what the judge defines as a 'retro object' that matters for this competition
What people mean by retro, which is after all a slang word, is much broader than Mike's purist 'product design' definition..............................
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 18/04/2010 - 17:08
Link
Having said I can't enter - I realised the Rover 75 is totally retro! Anyway I have tried and stuck to the topic which is retro and I don't think retro is slang and neither does the Oxford English dictionary (I believe from the entry below)
retro
• adjective imitative of a style from the recent past.
• noun retro clothes, music, or style.
— ORIGIN French, from rétrograde ‘retrograde’.
So bu88er the judge you're pretty much all disqualified
See, it pays to buy British!
Mike
retro
• adjective imitative of a style from the recent past.
• noun retro clothes, music, or style.
— ORIGIN French, from rétrograde ‘retrograde’.
So bu88er the judge you're pretty much all disqualified
See, it pays to buy British!
Mike
---------------------------------------------------
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Posted 18/04/2010 - 18:47
Link
Indeed Mike all but you and Hyram seems to have the theme wrong
I-berg was pretty clear though.
I-berg was pretty clear though.
Posted 18/04/2010 - 18:55
Link
Er !! I think my Retro Jag SS 100 is retro too !!
Fner Fner
Tony
Fner Fner
Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.
I am now on Flickr which is nice !
I am now on Flickr which is nice !
Posted 18/04/2010 - 19:09
Link
Tony. Reproduction sir, reproduction
In case anyone is wondering my tongue is firmly in my cheek.
But to Stefan, yes i-berg was very clear and I quote:
So old articles are not retro, that eliminates most entries at a stroke. Old style photos are not retro objects which eliminates most of the others leaving I reckon possibly 4 entries that meet i-berg's criteria. But obviously while correct it is not practical and I don't expect that criteria to be applied as it would ruin the fun of the competition which is what it's about.
Mike
In case anyone is wondering my tongue is firmly in my cheek.
But to Stefan, yes i-berg was very clear and I quote:
Quote:
any retro object/s are this week's target
Therefore the item must be retro. So, no I have not got the theme wrong not by any interpretation,. Damn where is George when you need him?any retro object/s are this week's target
So old articles are not retro, that eliminates most entries at a stroke. Old style photos are not retro objects which eliminates most of the others leaving I reckon possibly 4 entries that meet i-berg's criteria. But obviously while correct it is not practical and I don't expect that criteria to be applied as it would ruin the fun of the competition which is what it's about.
Mike
---------------------------------------------------
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
Posted 18/04/2010 - 19:17
Link
Mike - it IS a reproduction - as defined in my blurb - a modern copy of the original SS Jag - therefore by definition - Retro
It was made in 2005 so hardly old and the photo is not that old and I`m the only old thing about the entry !!
Tongue firmly in cheek
Tony
It was made in 2005 so hardly old and the photo is not that old and I`m the only old thing about the entry !!
Tongue firmly in cheek
Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.
I am now on Flickr which is nice !
I am now on Flickr which is nice !
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



6913 posts
17 years
Co. Durham UK
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/