Weekend Saunter

Frogherder
Posted 28/06/2011 - 12:03 Link
[IMG]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff444/Frogherder/IMGP6406d.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks CoDa/Pentaxophile/bwlchmawr

Comments noted and above is my latest attempt. I think I overshot a bit around the ivy covered part of the roof and changed to a fuzzier brush over the trees (just to try out the difference).

Returning again is not an immediate option, it's over 100miles away.
The place was heaving with people and I stood for ages until the crowds had disapeared.

Tried the statue in mono- didn't like it. Mainly because I couldn't lighten the shadows without blowing out the patina.

Cropped of most of the pebbles from the gateway - agrred looks much better.

Discovered one major snag - my wife thinks I spend too much time with a camera let alone spending further ages with photoshop. he he

Regards
Bernard
Pentaxophile
Posted 28/06/2011 - 12:26 Link
I think the white glow following the line of the building and trees is a bit of a giveaway - you can use a massive soft brush to erase away the sky, and not be too exact - if the sky is faint and you are using a multiply layer, it doesn't matter if the sky overlaps the foreground a bit - it will just be slightly darkened. You can go round with a smaller brush and erase away some of the overlapping stuff if necessary, but keep within the edge of the building and trees. My attempt:

Comment Image


I think the sky you have chosen is ideal, the washed out quality is fitting for the lighting conditions in the foreground.
Edited by Pentaxophile: 28/06/2011 - 12:28
Frogherder
Posted 28/06/2011 - 12:48 Link
Yep much better - I'll keep on trying. At least I've learned how to do it.

My previous attempts were using the magic wand tool- I'm not sure I'm using that properly either.

I've got lots of sky pictures, Mainly from failed landscapes (which looked ok when I took them but disapointing when seen larger)

Many thanks
Bernard
techno-terminator
Posted 28/06/2011 - 12:57 Link
One of the advantages shooting in RAW - your original is always available and you can work on a 'copy' till you are satisfied and if you hate the result you can sling it in the trash and start again
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Frogherder
Posted 28/06/2011 - 14:27 Link
I always work on a copy for that very reason (add an "a" suffix) then save subsequent efforts as "b","c" etc.

I've started using RAW+ but so far I'm simply storing the PEF files pending being able to make good use of them when I eventually become "competent" at Photoshop.

Snag I see something that someone else has done that I haven't and I have to go off and try it, so I flit about a lot and never spend the time to get good at anything.

I'll get maudlin if I keep on that theme.


Bernard
bretti_kivi
Posted 28/06/2011 - 22:06 Link
competent is always a state of mind on potatochop - I thought my PP was OK, then was forced into raising my game and now realise just how many opportunities I've missed....

It's not something you learn overnight, and it's not something where you can always apply the same technique and it will work on *this* shot. So don't worry too much about it, take on board the comments and try again with the next shot.

Bret
my pics: link
my kit: K3, K5, K-01, DA 18-55, D-FA50 macro, Siggy 30/1.4, 100-300/f4, 70-200/2.8, Samsung 12-24/f4, Tamron 17-50, and lots of other bits.
Smeggypants
Posted 29/06/2011 - 04:08 Link
bretti_kivi wrote:
competent is always a state of mind on potatochop - I thought my PP was OK, then was forced into raising my game and now realise just how many opportunities I've missed....

It's not something you learn overnight, and it's not something where you can always apply the same technique and it will work on *this* shot. So don't worry too much about it, take on board the comments and try again with the next shot.

Bret
[/quote]I look back on some of my pics I took last year and I realise how my PP has improved.

I've been following this thread and haven't found anything constructive to add upto now as frankly I've found the 'scene' uninspiring. Although the thread is marvellous for a discussion on PP stuff

Its' now finally occurred to me what could possible salvage a decent pic from the original.


The gable end. assuming you've enough resolution... good focus, etc do a severe crop so the whole frame is ivy with that gable end window somewhere artistically placed somewhere. then some heavy PP, maybe B&W, etc


I think part of the problem with the original is no matter what sky you cut and past into it the lighting on the house and path is so dull it's never going to excite anyone. Had it been shot in that lovely evening warm and contrasty light then things could have been a lot different.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Frogherder
Posted 29/06/2011 - 20:00 Link
Thanks Smeggy, I think you've put your finger on the root of the problem - Dull lighting.

Quote:
Had it been shot in that lovely evening warm and contrasty light then things could have been a lot different
If only, by then we were heading back home down the M1.

Quote:
do a severe crop so the whole frame is ivy with that gable end window somewhere artistically placed somewhere. then some heavy PP, maybe B&W, et
[IMG]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff444/Frogherder/IMGP6406f.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff444/Frogherder/IMGP6406e.jpg[/IMG]

Not sure about either really-prefer B&W

regards
Bernard
Edited by Frogherder: 29/06/2011 - 20:01
Smeggypants
Posted 30/06/2011 - 00:57 Link
I was imagining cropping in even further so you can't see the roof.

But I can see the pic doesn't hold up to such heavy cropping really, and it would have been better side on.

I actually quite liked the B&W version, although not cropped that much.

Maybe it's time to move on


btw - One of the most important things I think I've learnt since taking pics on a serious hobby basis is not to dwell on anything that doesn't excite me that much. It's been difficult as I've spent ages in the past Post Pro'ing pics that frankly aren't worth it
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo