Weddings? who needs them?

Jetsam1

Link Posted 06/12/2013 - 11:24
After working in a customer service industry (not by choice I will add) over the last couple of years I can safely say that my faith in humanity is definately shaken. Simple courtesy is becoming unusual. I've felt actually threatened at times and colleagues been reduced to tears by 'guests' who take a small, easily solved issue and blow it into something frankly ridiculous. So yes, I hope never to have to work in a public facing job ever again.
K5, K200 and several film Pentax cameras!

LennyBloke

Link Posted 06/12/2013 - 11:39
Jetsam1 wrote:
After working in a customer service industry (not by choice I will add) over the last couple of years I can safely say that my faith in humanity is definately shaken. Simple courtesy is becoming unusual. I've felt actually threatened at times and colleagues been reduced to tears by 'guests' who take a small, easily solved issue and blow it into something frankly ridiculous. So yes, I hope never to have to work in a public facing job ever again.

I know exactly what you mean. Running a Camera Shop back in the 80's I met some very unreasonable, almost nasty, people - if it had been my shop I would have barred some of them . I worked with a young lady assistant who was very knowledgeable and helpful but some customers would do their utmost to avoid being served by her (she used to get quite annoyed by it - understandably) and if they did have to be served by her they were often rude and condescending - most of them (males) didn't believe a female could know more than them - at least some things have changed for the better

But I also I met some of friendliest, genuine people I have known, some of whom I still count as friends

I have not worked in a public facing job for many years now, and I prefer it that way!
LennyBloke

fatspider

Link Posted 17/12/2013 - 21:59
Quote:
The phenomenon of "Uncle George has a good camera, he's offered to do the photos" has, at least at the lower end of the market, affected the trade.

Unfortunately that isn't anything new, way back in the early 80s I was asked to do a wedding with my first ever SLR, a Zenith EM with standard lens, in fact I wrote to AP and got a letter on the subject published, even got a free roll of film for doing it
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

gartmore

Link Posted 18/12/2013 - 16:02
I've just seen on facebook that 'the photographer' is the bridesmaid, I wonder how she'll pull that off!
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

Gamka

Link Posted 18/12/2013 - 16:14
gartmore wrote:
I've just seen on facebook that 'the photographer' is the bridesmaid, I wonder how she'll pull that off!

A good time delay or remote release ... or she is an expert in Photoshop (with lessons from the Koreans).

gartmore

Link Posted 18/12/2013 - 17:15
love the Koreans bit.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

geordie01

Link Posted 18/12/2013 - 17:28
Sit back and enjoy they may post the results on face book.

brishane

Link Posted 30/01/2014 - 07:29
You should have not acted that way to your client. Anyway that's really up to you but the best way you can do is explain to her why she needs two photographer for the wedding since you know more than the manager.

kingfisher

Link Posted 30/01/2014 - 08:09
Don't worry Ken, this happens from time to time, same thing happened to me. When my friends ran out of budget for wedding they looked where they can make some saving. So they took some relative fool to make pictures almost for free. The guy came to wedding chewing his gum enthusiastically with some small nikon, kit lens etc. It was disaster, built in flash straight into their eyes, noisy kit lens, even annoying beeping focus confirmation plus he didn't have any experience at all and was shooting all moreless from one place. After ceremony he took them out for some quick group photos and then went to his regular job somewhere, so there was nobody to take pictures of the reception and party, except some iphonists. So i took some snapshots and granted this to my friend for free - at least they have some pics from that event. I guess they have what they asked for. It is amazing how people spare loads of money for all kind of stuff, which is thrown away straight after wedding, but they spare money on photos which will last for looong time.
Last Edited by kingfisher on 30/01/2014 - 08:11

gartmore

Link Posted 30/01/2014 - 09:18
I came upon this on facebook this morning:

Feel free to share it everyone
Ken

Mongoose

Link Posted 30/01/2014 - 19:10
Gamka wrote:
The opposite happened to me once.

I was asked to do a wedding for a family friend - and was happy to do so for a reasonable price but they finally decided to use a "pro" at significantly more for the ceremony and immediate small reception.

Was I put out? Not really ... and I was still asked to do the evening reception. The "pro" then took some of my images for use in the main albums.

I've had that too. The bride was worried I'd be offended, actually I was delighted, still took the camera and got some shots I liked without all the stress. I never agree to do a wedding if the couple can afford a pro, I only do it if it's me or no-one, that way whatever I do is better than the alternative.

When we planned our wedding for 100 people we didn't consider anyone who couldn't provide two photographers, I dread to think what would be the outcome with 230!
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Last Edited by Mongoose on 30/01/2014 - 19:12

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 30/01/2014 - 19:12
I used to do weddings 10-15 years ago, gladly no more....Last one was for a 'friend' for free. A pal also took shots, I with film, he with digital. I've not heard from her since, don't know whether she was happy or not with the pictures, always had good feedback from previous clients... but another friend asked me to help him with a wedding in Ripon, then he asked someone else - I wasn't too bothered but it was fun looking at the images afterwards....

the back up guy turned up not knowing how to use his camera (failed KYFG or RTFM) - all his shots were soft. oh dear...

how did the main photographer do? well he had an ETRSi which has a switch on the body or the RFH, flick it and the film does not advance when you wind it on, all it does is cock the shutter.. Derrick thinks its odd that he feels he's taken more than 15 shots on his film, and yes the film hadn't advances...

Schadenfreude

How do wedding photographers cope with iPad users these days?
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff

gartmore

Link Posted 30/01/2014 - 22:36
They are brilliant I get them all clustered around the couple and use their screens as the foreground, it's a great shot! I also leave the studio heads up on full power with their optical slaves on for anyone with a compact with flash
Ken

tyronet2000

Link Posted 30/01/2014 - 22:43
I've been invited by friends to take some family photos for their Golden Wedding . Fortunately for me they won't be expecting anything grand.
Regards
Stan

PPG

brishane

Link Posted 31/01/2014 - 16:00
I also think that the couples are trying to save some money.
I actually have a friend who just do not hire a photographer on her wedding since we have a friend who can do that for her for free.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.