wedding looming

BMurray

Link Posted 05/02/2013 - 21:06
Hi, I have my first wedding shoot coming up in march and while i currently read every article i can find on wedding photography and get myself more confused each time, there is one question i have which is not featured in any of the guides: What do i do with my camera gear? it might well be a silly question but if im trying to look organised and professional (dont panic the couple know im not a professional and have seen my portfolio) i can only picture myself lugging my bag around or having to run back and forth to wherever ive put it for safe keeping. not that its a huge amount of gear (Pentax k-30 with WR 18-55MM kit lens, 50-200MM kit lens tamron 70-300mm macro lens, tripod, 6 spare batteries, 2 charging units, 4 x16gb, 4x8gb and 4x 2gb memory cards, remote shutter control, tripod, metz hotshoe flash unit, various hd and cpl filters, a pentax k-r for back up and a laptop and all in a LOWEPRO VERTEX 100 AW backpack. obviously i cant just leave it lying around so does anyone have any tips on how to organise which pieces of kit i will need for inside/outside/reception etc. ? would i be better off getting an 18-200mm lens? or would a 17-50mm cover most of the shots i need?

sorry again if this is a silly question.
B Murray

cabstar

Link Posted 05/02/2013 - 21:37
Never had a bag stolen from a church and at receptions i just put it in a corner and ask someone usually an older person whose not going anywhere to keep an eye on it. But most of the time the wife assists and carries it around.

Your kit is lacking in fast glass which you will need in the church and for the portraits. Rent from SRS if buying is not an option, it will make your day a lot easier.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

BMurray

Link Posted 05/02/2013 - 21:46
the 17-50mm im looking at is f2.8 and its £279, if that would be a better lens id be willing to shell that out, there is a slightly dearer 50mm prime(f1.4) but i would be worried that all the shots would look the same with a prime lens. the ceremony and reception are taking place in a local hotel, i was going to call and ask if i can go down at the weekend and get orientated on where everything will be happening and check how close i am allowed to get to the couple during the ceremony.
B Murray

cabstar

Link Posted 05/02/2013 - 21:50
Is that the tamron? I had that lens for around four years and shot a few weddings with it with good results.
Concert photography

BMurray

Link Posted 05/02/2013 - 21:55
yes its the tamron, i am really delighted with the tamron 70-300 so assuming the faster speed on the 17-50 will make it a better lens its probably a no brainer.
B Murray

BMurray

Link Posted 05/02/2013 - 22:04
sorry for digressing but i have just looked at your amazing portfolio, how do you achieve those crystal clear stage shots? ive done a few parties for friends and i always make the same mistake of catching the disco lights on everyones face.
B Murray

cabstar

Link Posted 05/02/2013 - 23:05
Practice makes perfect, i have photographed 70 festivals now shooting around 10-12 acts a day which equates to around 1400 acts plus gigs too. Takes time and a lot of studying other photographers.
Concert photography

geordie01

Link Posted 05/02/2013 - 23:24
BMurray wrote:
Hi, I have my first wedding shoot coming up in march and while i currently read every article i can find on wedding photography and get myself more confused each time, there is one question i have which is not featured in any of the guides: What do i do with my camera gear? it might well be a silly question but if im trying to look organised and professional (dont panic the couple know im not a professional and have seen my portfolio) i can only picture myself lugging my bag around or having to run back and forth to wherever ive put it for safe keeping. not that its a huge amount of gear (Pentax k-30 with WR 18-55MM kit lens, 50-200MM kit lens tamron 70-300mm macro lens, tripod, 6 spare batteries, 2 charging units, 4 x16gb, 4x8gb and 4x 2gb memory cards, remote shutter control, tripod, metz hotshoe flash unit, various hd and cpl filters, a pentax k-r for back up and a laptop and all in a LOWEPRO VERTEX 100 AW backpack. obviously i cant just leave it lying around so does anyone have any tips on how to organise which pieces of kit i will need for inside/outside/reception etc. ? would i be better off getting an 18-200mm lens? or would a 17-50mm cover most of the shots i need?

Sorry but do you really think that that you are capable enough to be doing this, these are very basic questions to be asking when you are entrusted to do a pro job on a very special day for some one. I have seen the results of a wedding shoot when they employed the services of a friend with a camera and it was not good.

fatspider

Link Posted 06/02/2013 - 00:00
As it's your first wedding I would suggest taking the camera body and kit lens with the 50-200 kept in the car as an emergency back up, obviously take spare batteries and flash. Worrying about your gear or even what lens to use and messing about changing them will only distract you from the task.

Having said that there is one very important thing missing from your list and that's a second camera body at least make sure you have access to a decent compact.

Quote:
Sorry but do you really think that that you are capable enough to be doing this

I do agree with this comment but there seems to be a growing number of people who are just happy to have a few snaps to remember their big day, the number of times I have heard "we don't want to spend a lot on photo's that will go in an album and hardly ever get looked at"
Of course this is no excuse for bodging it and you still need to get decent snaps!
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Fletcher8

Link Posted 06/02/2013 - 00:24
George you do raise a valid point but perhaps you could have raised your concerns a little differently?. As Brian stated (dont panic the couple know im not a professional and have seen my portfolio) Everyone has to start somewhere and if the couple in question are happy with and know the associated risks in relation to their wedding images, I think a little support and encouragement would not go a miss. Looking at Brian's portfolio I think he is capable of taking images that his friends will be happy with. Lots of friends take wedding images for their friends, some good, some not so good. Perhaps his friends just don't have the funds available for a professional wedding photographer? As Gary states, Practice makes perfect. I know weddings can be challenging and difficult, and as you state, you are responsible for someones special day., I think Brian understands this which is why he maybe asking questions.

Brian if you are reading this, I would like to wish you well. My only guidance would be to go and visit the wedding location prior to their wedding and think about how you are going to photograph the event, in relation to the kit you have and draft a plan that you can alter if required.

Fletcher8
Fletcher8.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 06/02/2013 - 05:05
geordie01 wrote:
BMurray wrote:

Sorry but do you really think that that you are capable enough to be doing this, these are very basic questions to be asking when you are entrusted to do a pro job on a very special day for some one. I have seen the results of a wedding shoot when they employed the services of a friend with a camera and it was not good.

Even the best wedding photographers in the world were once in a position where they had to experience their fist wedding shoot without any experience of a previous shoot.

How would you suggest they break this chicken and egg situation? After all if no one did a wedding shoot on the basis they'd never done one before then we'd have no wedding photographers.

Personally I think Bmurray is in a great position. The couple have seen his portfolio and are happy for him to go ahead. His uncertainty about the logistics of looking after his camera gear has no bearing on whether he'll take great pictures or not, and the last thing he needs is someone lecturing him that he might not be a good photographer because he's uncertain where to safely store his gear.

Brian, don't worry about the minutia of where to store your gear. There's no need to carry your laptop everywhere. Lock it in the boot of our car. You can carry your needed photography gear with you in your back pack or bumbags or whatever. No one is going to mug you for it

Concentrate on snapping pics that will excite the couple even after they divorce

A friend of mine whom I've known for nearly 30 years runs a wedding photography business called Dottie Photography. She's absolutely brilliant at it, and frankly I've never seen better.

Be inspired .....

http://dottiephotography.co.uk/#/image-weddings-gallery/

[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

BMurray

Link Posted 06/02/2013 - 07:25
Thanks for the comments, firstly I do have have a backup body (pentax k-r) and so far I have 6 spare batteries and numerous memory cards, I have contacted the venue and they are happy for me to go down at the weekend and have a look at the layout, I may even be able to take a friend with me so I can get a few test shots, I have met with the couple to discuss which particular shots they require and I have asked for a 'nominated person' in the party who can round everyone up for each shot. It's a 'simple' ceremony with not too many guests and on top of knowing I'm not a professional the couple are also Facebook friends and they have been privy to all of my warblings about my photography experiences as well as all of my photos, I have given them ample opportunity to choose someone else but they insist on me doing it. I guess it's just nerves that cause me to ask stupid questions but I think it's better to be nervous than to think I'm going to create great shots. They have chosen 42 main shots they want and I know I can take them well, I will feel better after I visit the venue as I can choose the different backdrops etc. I can see where geordie01 Is coming from, clearly he was a professional before he got his first camera and I applaud that but most of us have to start somewhere. (That's not to say I won't be back on here in a month posting RAW images and begging for help to fix them).
B Murray

fritzthedog

Link Posted 06/02/2013 - 09:12
Hi

I can totally empathise with you. I too have never shot a wedding - well not intentionally - I did once a couple of years ago attend a friends wedding and the photographer didn't turn up so I jumped in to do what I could but at the time - only had the K200 with me plus 50mm 1.4 and an 18-250 - no external flash or even a spare battery! On that occasion I decided the only thing I could do was shoot as many shots as possible until the battery ran out and just pray I had a few decent ones.

Did I feel I had produces a professional album? No - but they did at least get an album of 40+ passable shots - some of which were as good as many seen taken by "pro" wedding photographers and they were delighted that they at least had an album!

The reason I can empathise is that I have been sucked in to doing the photographs for a friend of a friend - he is determined I am doing them even though he knows full well that landscapes are really my preferred subject.

Turns out that his wife to be is a friend of the bride of my friend who's wedding I "accidentally" shot and having seen the album - wants me to do hers!!

Flattered? Yes - but also worried - trying to plan it is a different ball game - I just did what I hoped would work last time - this time I will be fully kitted up 3 bodies - several lenses - tripod - flash units - etc etc.

I have tried to tell them that they would be better off employing a pro but they are adamant and I just hope that I do not mess up their big day!!

My one tip for you from my memories of that one big day is - remember - you will need to be part photographer and part sheepdog - if you can - call on the services of a reasonably strong willed member of the party who knows everybody to help you round up the guests for the group shots and get people where you want them to be. This was my least successful bit as I naturally shy away from staged shots but most couple's want group shots and they are hard work in my limited experience

Good luck

Carl

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

gartmore

Link Posted 06/02/2013 - 09:14
My first job was as wedding photographer; six months of only being trusted to take pictures of the guests arriving at probably four weddings a week, then three months of being second shooter all the time watching and learning a very specific technique. That's how you become a wedding photographer, no chickens or eggs involved!

It isn't just about taking pictures well but about excellent people skills, looking calm collected and confident and realising you are one link in a professional chain that starts with the florist and finishes with the maitre d'.

Fatspider's advice is spot on. You can easily shoot a wedding on the 18-55. I tend to use my 16-45 90% of the time with the pentax f 50mm f1.7 and the Opteka 85mm f1.4 but you have your 50-200.

Beware of overshooting, you won't have time for masses of pp and they will get bored looking at them and won't see the wood for the trees.

Recycle the venues and plan for bad weather cover.

Any other advice freely given.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

MartinEA

Link Posted 06/02/2013 - 10:11
Just relax and make sure you cover the important bits. Have you written down a "must have" shoot list to refer to? There is a core list of images to capture the rest is icing on the cake. I would say get the Tamron, you can shoot a whole wedding on that lens. I am not sure the 18-55 would really be up to the job in low light at 55. Outside, sunlight ok but darker areas I wouldn't want to rely on it. Not that I have actually used one or have one. In fact my first wedding this year with my all new Pentax gear is on Saturday.

The best thing to do is not rush, slow yourself down and have fun. The night before and in the morning you will be asking yourself why the hell you said you would do this but once you start you will settle down. There is so much more to say about your first wedding but if you would like a long chat about it feel free to give me a call on the phone and I will help as much as I can.

Martin
Last Edited by MartinEA on 06/02/2013 - 10:11
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.