Weather Resistance

sportyman531

Link Posted 10/01/2013 - 20:39
If you have a WR camera body but a non-weather resistant lens will the mount itself seal well enough to protect the body?
Is it advisable to have at least one WR lens for a WR body.
TBH if I'm that desperate for a shot that I go out in pouring rain then the camera goes under my WR coat until the last moment.
The shot in my gallery "Hoar frost on Holcombe moor" was taken in sub-zero temperatures with my KX, tripod mounted, and when the battery indicator moved from full to half I just put the camera under my coat to warm it up a bit.
flickr ID: SteveW46243 or sw46246
DA AL 35mm f2.4, K3,18-135 WR, DA 55-300, Pentax KX, K5 x 2, 18-50 50-200 kit lenses, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Fuji X10, 2x Mamiya 1000s 2x 80mm f2.8, 150mm f3.5, 210mm f4, Yashica 124G TLR, 2x Yashica FX3 Super 2000, Tamron 28mm f2.8, 90mm SP f2.5, 135mm f2.5, Olympus 35RC, 2x Yashica FX2, Kodak Pocket Instamatic, Kodak Box Brownie

Mannesty

Link Posted 10/01/2013 - 20:47
I guess it would depend on the ferocity of the wind and rain and how much exposure (no pun intended) the camera & lens combination suffered.

WR lenses have a neoprene type seal that prevents water ingress to the body through the mount.

Non-WR lenses lack this seal and you have a metal to metal, or plastic to metal (depending on the lens mount material), interface which is not water tight. I'd say it is quite likely that water would cause a problem, eventually.

Personally, I buy lenses for their performance and image quality, not for their weather resistance. That said, I live in southern Spain where rain is rare. We do get plenty of dust though.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 10/01/2013 - 20:48

Dave_Evanson

Link Posted 10/01/2013 - 20:59
I think its more likely that water/dust would be drawn in as the focusing or zoom ring is turned especially if the lens barrel moves in or out a lot. The WR lenses have seals at these points to prevent this.
Last Edited by Dave_Evanson on 10/01/2013 - 21:00

Mannesty

Link Posted 10/01/2013 - 21:02
Dave_Evanson wrote:
I think its more likely that water/dust would be drawn in as the focusing or zoom ring is turned especially if the lens barrel moves in or out a lot. The WR lenses have seals at these points to prevent this.

They do to some extent prevent dust/water ingress, but not totally. I have WR lenses (DA*'s) that have tiny particles of dust inside. Barely visible with the naked eye, but they are there.

Try this if you have any WR or DA* lenses. Remove both end caps and hold the aperture wide whilst shining a bright torch through the lens from the mount end.

Now look inside the lens. See what I mean?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 10/01/2013 - 21:06

Gwyn

Link Posted 10/01/2013 - 21:57
Some say the 17-70 is partially WR, though it is not advertised as such.

I don't know, but I do know that mine has been in Pacific Northwest downpours, and in seriously sub zero snow storms above the Arctic circle and has survived just fine, as has the K-5 to which it is attached.
It has been covered in frozen snow and survived.

Works as normal, no sign of any problem with it.

Obviously I protected both lens and camera as much as possible, but to get a shot they had to be out in the weather.

But then I was never that precious about the IST Ds and weather either and that certainly wasn't sealed in anyway. That went whale watching in the rain off Boston, with the Bigma attached, as well as on safari with a sigma attacehed.

Provided you are careful and protect the camera as much as possible I don't think you have to have a WR lens. Good excuse for a bit of LBA though .

Dave_Evanson

Link Posted 11/01/2013 - 00:51
I have three DA* lenses 16-50mm, 50-135mm and 300mm I guess of the three the 16-50mm is the one Id be most worried about simply due to the barrel extension when zooming. I have used all of them without any problem in very heavy rain for extended periods (I will have to check them for dust as no seal is perfect).

I also use a 35mm Limited and the old none WR DA 100mm macro and a smc 400mm f4.5 (before the DA* I used 16-45mm and 24-90mm Pentax zooms) in fairly rainy conditions with having any problems, but I dont think I would subject them to the sort of downpours that I do with the DA* lenses.

I guess the best thing is to be careful not to allow water to pool in large drops around the focusing rings and such.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.