We need a video section!

Don

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 15:04
Now that we got talent of Ben's caliber posting up multimedia projects, I find myself wishing there was a place specifically for video and video/still photography multimedia porjects...

here's a work (in progress) I'm working on:

I ran into a problem, needing some music for a short I'm working on.
Now to be fair, it is not finished, there is no voice over yet and no foley, and there is still a murder scene no in there...
but the music, is adequet, if not astounding... lol!
it is made from soundloops and public domain in mixed garageband... I can't even read music...

link

I was sooo excited to see Ben posting such projects, will have even more stuff to share, come tax season... end of year is when I get to go shopping for new gear, and video capable dslrs are on my list!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 19/01/2010 - 15:05

Anvh

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 15:23
Indeed, that would be great.
We can do it on the Dutchforum for some time now although bit limited, youtube and flash only but it's enough for most users.

Fun movie you have there Don
Still thinking of getting a K7?
Video also sounds fun in my ears, my uncle has the K-X but gives nothing about the video mode in it and I want to use it every time.. it's so unfair
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Last Edited by Anvh on 19/01/2010 - 15:24

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 17:18
No, please. I do hope not.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Don

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 17:41
bwichmawr wrote:
No, please. I do hope not.

you'd be free to not look!

Quote:
Fun movie you have there Don
Still thinking of getting a K7?
Video also sounds fun in my ears, my uncle has the K-X but gives nothing about the video mode in it and I want to use it every time.. it's so unfair

thank you. I haze a voice over in progress, that tells astory interview style about becoming a vampire and the movie is more or less a flashback.. it's just an art peice for practice.

I'm waiting patiently for my new camera. on the fence between the k7 and kx.
will decide by the time wedding season is going full tilt..

Anvh

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 17:59
Sounds interesting Don, give us a note when it's finish

Yeah I don't know what they will do next with camera's, I also don't know which has the best video, the K-X or the K-7.
Most reviews say the K-7 has a very clean 720p video mode compared to others.

You're quite in the video, what do you think about the jpeg-movie files they now use, I haven't hear a lot of good about it and some are hoping they switch to the jpeg2000 version soon.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Don

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 18:14
The video formats aren't the big issue really, they all got thier pros and cons...
the real issue is post production... nle's are videos answer to photoshop/lightroom/aperture...
I used the iLife suite for that project mostly....
final cut express handles everything I've thrown at it.
I have dv, hdv, and avchd cameras, animated gifs, and quicktime files (including stopmotion animations off my Pentax) all thrown in that one project!

Anvh

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 19:32
Wow wonderful mix of formats.
I've no idea what programs you've for windows...
Photoshop extended can do some video but is limited though, adobe premiere maybe?
Does Autodesk maybe have some software?
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

johnriley

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 19:36
When you say you would like a video section, what exactly did you have in mind that would be needed?
Best regards, John

Don

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 20:22
johnriley wrote:
When you say you would like a video section, what exactly did you have in mind that would be needed?

Well John, I'd like to see a place (like user froum, where there is a section broken down into 3 parts: Shooting, editing, sharing.

That way we could lump all our questions and answers in specific threads, and a sharing section that has an easy to use "Youtube" button and the ability to embed youtube, vimeo links.

I like sharing ideas and comparing notes, but maybe I sorta hijacked Bens thread (sorry Ben), in hindsite, it would make sense to to have a forum section dedicated to video.

There's a market of videographers out ther wishing for top end canons that would never in a million years look at Pentax...unless....there was a palce where you could find some decent Pentax advice and support... you see where I'm going with this????
Last Edited by Don on 19/01/2010 - 20:25

Don

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 20:23
Anvh wrote:
Photoshop extended can do some video but is limited though, adobe premiere maybe?

alot of people like sony vegas... and premiere then there' pinnacle and avid, I think Gartmore is gonna be a lot more educated in those windoze platforms than I'd ever care to be...
Last Edited by Don on 19/01/2010 - 20:24

Anvh

Link Posted 19/01/2010 - 20:34
They both have there merits Don, I just can't stand how Apple needs to control everything

Will have a look at the software you suggest, going to check them out and I'll have a look if autodesk have something, I quite like their software.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

johnriley

Link Posted 20/01/2010 - 11:33
It's been added to the "wish list" of items wanted for future upgrades.
Best regards, John

gartmore

Link Posted 20/01/2010 - 12:38
Don wrote:
Anvh wrote:

alot of people like sony vegas... and premiere then there' pinnacle and avid, I think Gartmore is gonna be a lot more educated in those windoze platforms than I'd ever care to be...

I think it is inevitable that we should have a video section. More and more pro short form work is being shot on DSLRs. 'HD' magazine which is a high end trade glossy recently carried an extensive feature on various pop promos etc which had been shot mainly with Canons. The K7 isn't as good but that will change no doubt with future models. It was quite amusing to see professional matte boxes and follow focus kit which would cost more than a K7 with a relatively tiny camera behind.

Some purists seem against the idea of combined video and stills but it has already happened, and I believe it isn't going to go away, with the Red and Scarlet HD video cameras which are being used by major Hollywood studios and remember Hollywood is a very conventional place where film still dominates.

I have very limited experience of editing on Windows. I tend to use Apple G5s with either Avid or now, more likey, Final Cut Pro. Adobe Premier is totally hopeless, very unstable and has more crashes than the Whacky Races. I hear that Sony Vegas is good though. I should also point out that I don't do my own editing in the sense of operating the machinery, there are professional film editors with more skill and knowledge than me!

One of the difficulties I can see is in the ergonomics. A DSLR is designed to be held against your face and take one shot at a time. To get decent video it will really have to be on a robust tripod with a proper fluid head.

Interstingly most of the work, and much of it is impressive, I have seen shot with DSLRs has been shot mute and the audio added later. Perhaps by the time you start adding mics, booms, and audio mixers and crew to the equation any advantage of size has been lost and you might well have just used a conventional camera in the first place.

I have shown this picture before but sometimes this is what you need to shoot a small movie (and the back seats were folded down too!:

Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Last Edited by gartmore on 20/01/2010 - 12:41

Photomonk

Link Posted 20/01/2010 - 12:49
Ken,

Are you sure you got everything required there?

The Photomonk

gartmore

Link Posted 20/01/2010 - 12:56
Well just looking at it I can count eight lens cases, a magazine case, the tripod head case and maybe the batteries and charger case... OMG did we forget the camera???????????
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.